Thought For The Day

It doesn't matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop

Ships don’t sink because of the water around them

If my wife didn't love me I'm not sure she'd put up me ignoring her in favour of tapping out a bunch of words for probably no reward.
More seriously, I do think writers need to experience emotion if they want to convey it, and love is probably the strongest of them all.

I sympathise, @Salma Eljahrani – I got cross once after about 100 interruptions from my husband (do you want a cup of coffee? You should see this programme on TV... do you want to go for a walk... What do you want for dinner/lunch...have you seen...) :angry-face: I warned him I was going to put a lock on the inside of my work room (the tiny room with the computer in it). Much harder when you have children, though. I don't think I'd have got away with telling them to bugger off and shut the door behind them :)

Whether it's to ask you for help or offer you something you'd love in the "normal mode", it's still the same; They just interrupt you when you're about to seize that marvelous idea that only comes once in a lifetime. I'm relieved to discover I'm not the only one suffering. XD At least I still young and I'm not married yet. (I have a few years of peace left :D )

Unfortunately, many young writers are more concerned with fame that their own work….It’s much more important to write than to be written about.

Gabriel García Márquez

iu

'It is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip emptily by. How else, indeed, to clap the net over the butterfly of the moment? For the moment passes, it is forgotten; the mood is gone; life itself is gone. That is where the writer scores over his fellows: he catches the changes of his mind on the hop.'

Vita Sackville-West

iu
It should be remembered that this lady's station in life was such that matters like earning a living were not a concern..!

I believe that the phrase ‘obligatory reading’ is a contradiction in terms; reading should not be obligatory… If a book bores you, leave it; don’t read it because it is famous, don’t read it because it is modern, don’t read a book because it is old…. If a book is tedious to you, don’t read it; that book was not written for you. Reading should be a form of happiness, so I would advise all possible readers of my last will and testament—which I do not plan to write—I would advise them to read a lot, and not to get intimidated by writers' reputations, to continue to look for personal happiness, personal enjoyment. It is the only way to read.

Jorge Luis Borges

iu

There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open.

Martha Graham

iu

I don't agree. I prefer to look forward not back on what might have been, not on what I might have had if only things hadn't gone wrong. I've lost nothing except some money now and again:) Everything else has been a bonus, an education in being alive. The trouble is as soon as I get my degree I'll be past it, but that's life for you.

It doesn't matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop

Ships don’t sink because of the water around them

Back