Thought For The Day

It doesn't matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop

Ships don’t sink because of the water around them

Vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity and change.

Brené Brown

iu

Poetry is a subject as precise as geometry.

Gustav Flaubert

iu

He's right but only in the sense that poetry must "sound right", which doesn't mean it has to rhyme, but that it has to flow as rhythmically and easily as a river after a spring shower- it takes true precision to achieve that.

It is impossible to apply the mathematical precision of geometry to poetry, simply because that requires a defined, reasoned and restrained structure; none of which appertain to the nature of poetry; for emotion, which is the basis of poetry, cannot be predicted, measured or constrained.

Probably for the best. The maths of quantum mechanics deals with uncertainty, hence the joke. (It was a poor joke, but I couldn't resist :) )

Well, there is something called quantum geometry. Among other things, it describes spacetime at unimaginably small scales. And it's been suggested (though I don't know if it's widely accepted) that quantum interactions play a role in consciousness. So could we write an equation that describes a poem?

I don't know, but it might make a good science fiction story...

(If you get a bunch of theoretical physicists to start chatting about maths, they'll use words like beauty and elegance. Nature is awesome, through whichever prism you look at it. The thought makes my hairs stand on end.)

It doesn't matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop

Ships don’t sink because of the water around them

Back