Important! The New Test Site Is Open – Your Comments Will Be Appreciated!

ChantalS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re @Hannah F's post on her profile (about missing the 'like' button in the new Lab. - My response it too long for the box there, so I'm posting here.)

I agree.

While I get why the 'like, love, haha, etc' buttons have been removed there, I do wonder whether they were more useful than not. I don't think they were damaging in any way. Actually now they're gone, I realise they were super useful both when giving and receiving feedback.

1) They were a good way of giving someone a quick nod (esp after a rewrite) to tell them that they're on the right track now.

2) They showed an instant gut reaction. "Yes!"

3) They told me that someone has read my post and has given it a thought, and that they have nothing to add further. It made me feel 'heard', less 'lonely', and that I'm not talking-to-the-wall-hellooo-is-anyone-out-there-actually-reading-this. (Esp in the Writing Accountability Thread where we simply post what we've been up to. It's nice there to have an acknowledgement that someone is there 'with us'.)

4) The distinction between "like", "love" and "haha" was also useful because again, it shows a gut reaction.

Maybe it's too soon to say bring them back @AgentPete? But I don't think Litopians are of the social-media-"like"-hunter type. It's nice to have the option to just click 'like' without having to write it in a box (and no, I'm not lazy. Ok I am. :D ) , esp when I'm super busy and am doing things between things, and also when I visit the site using the phone.... But mainly because of my points above. I think they can be a useful part of the Lab.
And the "hug" is very important at times, I think, and often better than saying any words.

I agree about the accountability thread. It's going to start feeling like talking to the wall.

And when you post a critique about someone's work and they thank you, it's good to "like" or "swinging" (or even "laugh" depending on what they say), their thank you. (Or I'm going to have to keep replying with GIFs and that's just going to get silly.)
Meme Reaction GIF

And the "hug" is very important at times, I think, and often better than saying any words.
I was one who campaigned for the like-button's removal. But in light of comments in this thread, and given the number of hugs I've received recently, I'm no longer the avid removal campaigner I once was. :) But, in The Laboratory, and accountability thread aside, I still think it's better to say something when critiquing and not only hit the emojis.

--

And in other u-turny news, I'm liking the new posts front page, having argued against that as well.

So, in conclusion, you may wish to ignore any suggestions I make from now on :confused::D

Having lived with a it for few days now, I think the new layout, tweaks and changes are definitely a fine upgrade. I have been running the dark mode and like that a lot.

But... what about a tartan font? Oh, and maybe some...;)

Having lived with a it for few days now, I think the new layout, tweaks and changes are definitely a fine upgrade. I have been running the dark mode and like that a lot.

But... what about a tartan font? Oh, and maybe some...;)
Very dark, Jonny... :oops:

Like @MattScho I was happy before, and I'm even happier now.

I'm cruising in the dark mode, loving "my stuff" and all the options. Awesome changes, thanks!

Damned kids! Kids aren't supposed to like turnips.

While I am standing on the porch, shushing the kids out of my turnip patch, I will note that while I did not need any change, to anything, ever, I am now fully in on the new version. It is now what I never want to change. And put down them tubers!
Matt, Them isn't tubers. The neighbour cats been doing his business there again.

I like change. Kaleidoscope's are my thing. But not all change is good. This change is imperceptible to me. It's kind of like at the optometrist when he asks you. "Is this better? Or this?"

Except hug emojis are important. it is hard enough to make sure you are understood clearly when writing. A Hug clarifies everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChantalS

Back