Movie Review: The Emergence of Science Fiction, a talk by a scholar of 19th century SF

Your film + tv reviews, please!

Question: For our Antipodeans, a time-difference question

Amusement My daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really interesting talk. What struck me most was the tension between the the West's 19th-century's concern with mastering nature and its fear of precarious insignificance in the face of that nature. To endeavor to dominate what one fears strikes me as a particularly puritan (with a lowercase 'p' but, in this case, still deeply Christian) way to behave, very Victorian, very do-gooder. And of course, we're still living through the effects of that thinking – our 'dominance' has trashed the biosphere.

@Peyton Stafford, there's an opportunity here to tell a story about AI holding humanity to account for the damage it's done to the natural world. (Or maybe truly sentient AI would be above such judgmental behaviour and would seek to steward humanity towards more harmonious behaviour – an AI steward of humanity's morals and values, perhaps – which humanity would then, of course [and now I'm being ironic], wage war on.)

Really interesting talk. What struck me most was the tension between the the West's 19th-century's concern with mastering nature and its fear of precarious insignificance in the face of that nature. To endeavor to dominate what one fears strikes me as a particularly puritan (with a lowercase 'p' but, in this case, still deeply Christian) way to behave, very Victorian, very do-gooder. And of course, we're still living through the effects of that thinking – our 'dominance' has trashed the biosphere.

@Peyton Stafford, there's an opportunity here to tell a story about AI holding humanity to account for the damage it's done to the natural world. (Or maybe truly sentient AI would be above such judgmental behaviour and would seek to steward humanity towards more harmonious behaviour – an AI steward of humanity's morals and values, perhaps – which humanity would then, of course [and now I'm being ironic], wage war on.)
Didn't Asimov already write that story about robots trying to serve humans and keep us out of trouble?

I don't know, did he? I've read the Foundation series, and possibly some others in the poorly remembered past, but I'm not sure which of his works you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question: For our Antipodeans, a time-difference question

Amusement My daughter

Back