Dandelion Break Test - Are You More Intelligent Than ChatGPT?

Service Update How We Deal With Antisocial Behavior - Please Read

Blog Post: AI at the G7 with the Pope

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
I just asked the following question of ChatGPT.

Please solve the following problem, giving your reasoning for the solution. Alice has 7 brothers and she also has 5 sisters. How many sisters does Alice's brother have?

The correct answer is below, marked as a spoiler. Before you peek at it, see if you can beat ChatGPT's logic (it got the answer wrong, output below).

Correct answer - six!

And this is what ChatGPT said:

To solve this problem, we need to analyze the relationships in Alice's family. We know the following:
- Alice has 7 brothers.
- Alice has 5 sisters.
Since all of Alice's brothers and sisters are her siblings, we need to consider the total number of female siblings (sisters) each brother has.
Alice's brother would have the same siblings that Alice has, minus himself (since he wouldn't count himself as a sibling). Therefore, each of Alice's brothers has:
- The same 5 sisters that Alice has.
Thus, Alice's brother has 5 sisters.
The answer to the problem is that Alice's brother has 5 sisters.

Reminds me of a family from our Devon village when I was a kid in the 1970's. Family, name of Baker, lived down the road. They had eleven kids, so, all told, they were a baker's dozen. Local doctor is known to have said he handed out condoms to the dad on a regular basis, but had no idea what he did with them. Doctor once organised a talk at the village hall, demostrating how to put on a condom using a broomstick as a prop. Still did no good. You can't make this shit up.

Having 13 kids isn't as scary as the thought of how many people swear by ChatGPT!
Google also.

Yesterday I was researching a journey from Stranraer, on Loch Ryan, the bit of SW Scotland nearest N Ireland, to Kirkwall, Orkney, right at the other end of the country. A LONG way.

Googled it. One suggestion was to take the bus. Several buses, in fact. More than one bus company. But only buses.
Another, described as ‘best choice’, to 'drive up the A9'. And it showed a line on the map doing that, going right to Orkney.

BUT, Orkney is made up of islands... in the North Sea?

Reminds me of a family from our Devon village when I was a kid in the 1970's. Family, name of Baker, lived down the road. They had eleven kids, so, all told, they were a baker's dozen. Local doctor is known to have said he handed out condoms to the dad on a regular basis, but had no idea what he did with them. Doctor once organised a talk at the village hall, demostrating how to put on a condom using a broomstick as a prop. Still did no good. You can't make this shit up.
The dad put the condom on his broomstick every day. Decided the doctor was a right eejit.

Service Update How We Deal With Antisocial Behavior - Please Read

Blog Post: AI at the G7 with the Pope

Back