Should I change my name, for the purpose of eye-level purchasing science?

Question: Author CVs

Question: Intrusive narrators...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorm Ant

Basic
Jul 7, 2021
UK
So, I have noticed that almost all bookshops display fiction in alphabetical order, according to the surname of the writer. As my surname begins with a W, this means that I am likely to be on the bottom shelf, should I get published and stocked in high st bookshops.

Retail Science says that people make impulse purchases at eye level, so being way down there could be an issue.

Is there any advantage to taking on a mid alphabet nom de plume? An L, N, M or O surname, perhaps? I considered SW Mersey instead (Worsey rhymes with Mersey), though it has limited Google Power compared to my real surname.

Is this an issue, or is it all in my head? Your thoughts??!

I went to a Sting Concert in the Albert Hall. I sat in a box. That's probably as far from a mosh pit as you can get.
I went twice (10 Summoners Tales tour?) and spent a deal of my time looking up at all those boxes with everyone bedecked in their finery. I told myself, "One day, Jonny. One day, you too will be a member of the great and good, up there lording it over a sea of unwashed plebs."

Sadly, that day has yet to come... :) :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :) :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :guitar::guitar:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Question: Author CVs

Question: Intrusive narrators...

Back