What makes a good "hook"?

About me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matnov

Basic
Oct 19, 2014
London
Decided to strip things back to basics. Need to focus on one single project at a time. So, I am planning to finish off re-drafting/proofing a novel before (re)publishing, along with another one that is sitting there ready to go. Then a choice of three first drafts waiting for the full-on treatment. But I will cross that bridge when I come to it. :)

I anticipate completing my fifth Cornish Detective novel this month, including the editing. Writing the final four chapters has taken me longer than I anticipated, but I'm not annoyed or anxious about this, for I've been describing key moments in my detective protagonist's life—with him falling in love and lust, then being attacked with a sword and almost killed. There have been lots of bodily fluids splashing around (on my computer screen, at least!) ;)

September is the end of the quarter, so I've got lots of little things to wrap up from my quarterly plan. Finish the current WIP, and (ugh) make a serious effort to better use Amazon ads are high on the list. And I'm headed to the National Writer's Forum in a couple of weeks--hoping to come home with lots of ideas and inspiration on both the writing and marketing fronts!

Again, a month has come and gone.

Managed to do what I wanted to do with the reworking and republishing of two novels so am pleased with that. Also turned my attention of a short(ish) story I had written and am at the tail end of the proofing/redrafting process with that.

But still, those three first draft novels tempt and repulse me at the same time. It is the crime one that I know I need to throw my full attention at. Let us see. But I will be working on something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What makes a good "hook"?

About me

Back