Request for full manuscript

J

Help! Manuscript request - still waiting!

The Cost Of Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Judith Baker

I'm new to this so forgive any grave errors I make as I navigate my way around the site. I am in the process of sending out the first 3 chapters of my manuscript and so far have had numerous rejections, one very positive write up with a thanks but no thanks and a request for the full manuscript (Hooray) Any ideas how long it takes agents to read full manuscripts so I don't bite my fingernails right down to the quick whilst waiting?

The short answer is, it varies, but usually 6-8 weeks. Some agents never reply at all, but if they are decent, usually say on their website that it you haven't heard in X weeks, consider it rejected. Just be VERY aware that no one asks a writer to pay a publisher... because there are those out their (called vanity publishers) who do just that. ;)

Ah yes, I'm very aware of such charlatans and would never fall for such a trick regardless of how brilliant I think my story is or how desperate I become whilst waiting for a reply.:)

Actually I'm waiting on a publisher looking at a full novel, who have asked for details of the other 5 in the series..... How long can I hold my breath???? lol

Welcome to the site!! As to your question, it depends on the agent. I don't believe there is a standard time. It might say on their site what the expected wait time should be, or you could always send a quick email and ask. Congrats on the full and I hope it pans out for you! :)

Thank you! Although I'm aware of how difficult and competitive this process is so am not holding my breath....

Hi and welcome to the colony. My advice is to not count the days. It makes the wait seem longer. Give them a 12 week leeway to get back to you. Mark that date down and go about your life. 12 weeks should account for any delays when the average is 6-8 weeks. That way you know you have given ample response time. If they tell you up to twelve weeks, then give them 18.

It's great that you have had a full ms request. I won't say anything re being careful who you deal with because its been covered. But what I will say is GOOD LUCK!

Welcome. In my limited experience, a significant proportion of agents simply do not respond. However, I only started sending things out towards the end of last year, so I may be doing them a disservice.

Hello Judith... (and in parenthesis, hopefully not the JB who I met up with in New Orleans many years ago, former lover of L.H. Oswald...?). Welcome aboard.
You raise a good question about waiting time. I have quite a few thoughts/suggestions on this, it may be worth organising a virtual seminar on the art of pitching. Let me ponder a bit.

To keep myself from going insane and making repeated visits to Lit Agent websites, I keep track in a notebook every query I send, the guidelines they specify and the timeline they give (if any). Every week or so I will go through and mark them off. I find that it helps if I make it a task in my work day- kind of takes the emotional toll away.

Fun story- I actually got a rejection on a Saturday evening a few weeks ago. Kind of ruined my night. I mentally prepare myself for the responses during the week, but assumed that Lit Agents would take the weekends off. Guess I was wrong... so it looks like I may need to steer clear of checking my emails on the weekend... :)

Good luck! I'm working towards being in your position. But for now still writing, developing the characters and theworld. Got the synopses for 2 done and part way for the 3rd in the series plus a first draft for the first one. Your posting eggs me on to get that stage ..I think I will frame my first rejection :D. Well done for getting so far and good luck again!

Thank you everyone for all your comments. Not the New Orleans JB I'm afraid. Just an aspiring writer from the north east of England :) Still waiting for that elusive acceptance although my initial manuscript looks clumsier with every read...

Ha! The outer shell of the Colony (i.e. the wider Litopia) is finally coming together now. Products will be going up over the next few days, then integration with Patreon so listeners can sponsor their favourite shows. Inside, it's getting the Houses going that's next on my list. Once all that is in place, I want to start thinking about seminars, etc. Will be asking for your input on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Help! Manuscript request - still waiting!

The Cost Of Writing

Back