Rejection and the Writer

Product 17

M

Help! Character development problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the last two months, I've sent out seven short stories. (Finding markets is a slow process involving lots of research, and also I only have 8 "good" stories.) I got my first rejection of this batch last Monday. Form letter, of course. I've been rejected before, and with one hilarious exception, they were all form letters. Sure, NOW I see why certain stories were probably rejected, but I wish they'd take the time to say WHY they're rejecting it. I spend about an hour vetting a magazine before submitting, buying a subscription if I can afford it, and I spend about 20 minutes writing a cover letter, and they can't give me ONE reason why they rejected it? Ugh.

Yeah yeah, they probably have 100 stories to reject in a single day. . . . I know.

I wished they had masked Dr Manhattan's manhood in the book and film ... levels of inadequacy (for many of us) abound and surround anything related to Alan Moore.

I still struggle with his carte-blanche dismissal of any of the visual interpretations of his work. The film of Watchmen was as true to the graphic novel as possible.

I wished they had masked Dr Manhattan's manhood in the book and film ... levels of inadequacy (for many of us) abound and surround anything related to Alan Moore.

I still struggle with his carte-blanche dismissal of any of the visual interpretations of his work. The film of Watchmen was as true to the graphic novel as possible.
See... I came away from that one more with a feeling of,
"pretty sure if I glowed, had limited omniscience, and nigh-omnipotence, everyone would have to suffer the visibility of my doodle, as well."

The world will have to wait.:oops:

@Paul Whybrow , I never knew so many of the novels I love had been rejected. But, is that really surprising in life?

All of us, I am sure have suffered rejection, its part of the condition.

I am a computer programmer by profession. I have to undertake strenuous technical tests, interviews, philosophical discussions (endian herresy anyone?) and meet totaly different characters at every interview and job application.

I have been doing this for over 20 years and I still have to get used to the rejection process. I am now, its usually a case of "your loss, not mine", and I suspect its going to be the same here. I am starting out on a new path, writing and looking to get published, and I am totaly sure I am definately going to encounter that rejection feeling again.

Anyway, the Da Vinci code deserved to be rejected, it was a total rip off (cant spell play-jer-rism) of "The holy blood and the holy grail", never read Anne of Green Gables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Product 17

M

Help! Character development problem

Back