Blog Post: Read. Write. Repeat.

Latest Articles from Litopia’s Collective Blog

From Our Blog

Feb 3, 2024
New blog post by Mel L – discussions in this thread, please
---

“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents,” grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.

That opening line is indelibly inked in my memory.

Other fictional characters captured my childhood imagination before the March sisters: Anne of Green Gables, Black Beauty, Big Red. All great stories for children. But ‘Little Women’, Louisa May Alcott’s coming-of-age story set against the backdrop of the American civil war, was the first book that brought me into my adult reading self.

IMG_8734-1024x768.jpeg

Jo was my hero. A tomboy with a temper, and no time for womanly pastimes, she loved books and bravely broke the social barriers of the time. How I wished I could be as fearless as Jo!

I’ve always been a reader; there’s never been a time in my life without a book (or three) on the go. I read slowly, exclusively in print. Screens are work. The part of my brain that dips into a story and stay there can only be engaged by immersing myself in the slightly sour smell of ink and the tactile experience of turning pages. Reading for me is ritual, pleasure, escape.

But unlike those early novels whose lines have stayed with me, the books I read these days tend to blur together. So much so that I now keep a list.

I think this has less to do with my ageing brain than the quality of my reading. An attention gap that means I can read an entire novel and later pick up again without remembering it – until several chapters in, something seems vaguely familiar, and I realize I’ve been there, read that.

IMG_8757-1024x768.jpeg

Perhaps it is also because few books create unique character voices that stay with us like Jo did with me. Original misfits and unlikely heroes, like some of my favourites: Ignatius J Reilly (A Confederacy of Dunces), Holden Caulfield (Catcher in the Rye), Hazel and Fiver (Watership Down), Daisy Goodwill (The Stone Diaries), Sethe (Beloved). And a recent exception: Ove in ‘A Man Called Ove’.

And because we, as writers, read to hone our craft, edit, and give feedback to others. When I read these days, it is often on two levels, one part of my brain absorbing the story as a reader, the other analyzing it as a writer. This kind of reading is a lot more demanding, but it can also be hugely rewarding.

Whether or not you write character-driven stories or world-building fantasy, writing is an iterative process. Reading, in all its forms, is an essential part of it.

How do you read? Are you able to separate your reader brain from your writer brain?
---

By @Mel L
Get the discussion going – post your thoughts & comments in the thread below…

Love this. Little Women was like that for me too. I read as a reader when reading outside of my genre unless something in the writing particularly stands out (either in a good way or a not-so-good way). I'm more analytical when reading within my genre, dissecting the structure, mechanics of plot, tone etc. in order to discover what works and why.

I'm more analytical when reading within my genre, dissecting the structure, mechanics of plot, tone etc. in order to discover what works and why.
I'm the same though, outside my genre, I will stop and think about why something has hit me so strongly; what about the wording has shot an arrow into my heart/filled my eyes with water.
Reading also, importantly, lets me know what's out there already. If I'm touching similar ground, what is unique about my approach. It also lets me know the cliche phrases I should avoid, the latest on my list being the "copper taste of blood" or an old person's "yellow toenails" (at what age to toenails suddenly turn yellow?)

Reading and writing continue to be my escape into other worlds, other people's lives (which by the magic of words become my own). Long may that continue.

Love this. Little Women was like that for me too. I read as a reader when reading outside of my genre unless something in the writing particularly stands out (either in a good way or a not-so-good way). I'm more analytical when reading within my genre, dissecting the structure, mechanics of plot, tone etc. in order to discover what works and why.
Glad it resonated, @Claire G ! I find the more I read as a writer, the harder it gets to stop being analytical. But when you can really immerse yourself in a story, what joy!

I'm the same though, outside my genre, I will stop and think about why something has hit me so strongly; what about the wording has shot an arrow into my heart/filled my eyes with water.
Reading also, importantly, lets me know what's out there already. If I'm touching similar ground, what is unique about my approach. It also lets me know the cliche phrases I should avoid, the latest on my list being the "copper taste of blood" or an old person's "yellow toenails" (at what age to toenails suddenly turn yellow?)

Reading and writing continue to be my escape into other worlds, other people's lives (which by the magic of words become my own). Long may that continue.
I guess we're like pilots flying on planes as passengers. You can't always turn off your internal writer, yet we all need to escape. And there is so much to learn along the way!

Great piece @Mel L :) Oh, I loved Jo, but my love for Anne of Green Gables took me to Prince Island, Canada. Visiting the place that inspired a legend was on the top of my bucket list.

I feel like my reading has gone through a bell curve, not counting my earlier reading, which was just for reading. A couple of decades ago, I'm ashamed to admit, I'd read and try spot everything a writer was doing wrong and think; there's a filter, "uh oh;" there's head hopping, "no, no, no, no" etc. After I dove deep into learning the craft, I was able to read for reading. Now, I've come out of that stage, I find I'm reading for reading, but at the same time, I can admire what writers choose to write and I analyse why they chose that particular technique. I can also read something where I don't enjoy some of the writer's choices, but the voice carries me. However, if the voice isn't strong enough, and I don't agree with writer choices, I put it down.

Great piece @Mel L :) Oh, I loved Jo, but my love for Anne of Green Gables took me to Prince Island, Canada. Visiting the place that inspired a legend was on the top of my bucket list.

I feel like my reading has gone through a bell curve, not counting my earlier reading, which was just for reading. A couple of decades ago, I'm ashamed to admit, I'd read and try spot everything a writer was doing wrong and think; there's a filter, "uh oh;" there's head hopping, "no, no, no, no" etc. After I dove deep into learning the craft, I was able to read for reading. Now, I've come out of that stage, I find I'm reading for reading, but at the same time, I can admire what writers choose to write and I analyse why they chose that particular technique. I can also read something where I don't enjoy some of the writer's choices, but the voice carries me. However, if the voice isn't strong enough, and I don't agree with writer choices, I put it down.
Thanks, Rachel! Your experience inspires me to keep going in my journey, as I'm not yet able to easily shift gears between reading and critiquing. As for PEI, I'd love to visit Anne's hometown but even after all these years I've yet to make to the east coast. One day!

Thanks, Rachel! Your experience inspires me to keep going in my journey, as I'm not yet able to easily shift gears between reading and critiquing. As for PEI, I'd love to visit Anne's hometown but even after all these years I've yet to make to the east coast. One day!

I love the "oh wow, that's so clever" moments :) I found critiquing as many writers as I can, and truly digging into the trenches to help them make their work shine, makes it easier for me to recognise an author use some trick that I've researched. Plus, researching for our Craft Chat has helped and the background chats with @Ancora Imparo and @Julie before we publish a CC has been invaluable.

Great piece, @Mel L . I loved Jo, too, and sobbed like a baby when Beth died. Of course, LMA was only inserting her own family's loss into her work, but I was very young when I read it and didn't know "good" characters could be killed off in stories, or life. I was appalled. I think that's what started my life-long habit of checking the ending before engaging with any story. I won't get caught out like that again :)

I can shut the door marked editor and read as a reader now. Although, when I find a writer or a story I love, I often read the book twice or more. The first time is always for pleasure. The second is to see if I can spot the "joins", analyse the style, vocabulary, techniques (if any). Sometimes, genius is just genius. There will never be another Huckleberry Finn or Tom Sawyer (or Jo March). But for that matter, there won't be another Spock or Dr Who; Cersei Lannister or Daenerys Targaryen. There won't even be another Gruffalo. There will be immitations, but the originals will still shine brightest.
Perhaps it is also because few books create unique character voices that stay with us like Jo did with me. Original misfits and unlikely heroes,
I agree. It's the "original" part that's hard, and separates the exceptional from the mediocre.

A really enjoyable piece. Thanks for posting!

Great piece, @Mel L . I loved Jo, too, and sobbed like a baby when Beth died. Of course, LMA was only inserting her own family's loss into her work, but I was very young when I read it and didn't know "good" characters could be killed off in stories, or life. I was appalled. I think that's what started my life-long habit of checking the ending before engaging with any story. I won't get caught out like that again :)

I can shut the door marked editor and read as a reader now. Although, when I find a writer or a story I love, I often read the book twice or more. The first time is always for pleasure. The second is to see if I can spot the "joins", analyse the style, vocabulary, techniques (if any). Sometimes, genius is just genius. There will never be another Huckleberry Finn or Tom Sawyer (or Jo March). But for that matter, there won't be another Spock or Dr Who; Cersei Lannister or Daenerys Targaryen. There won't even be another Gruffalo. There will be immitations, but the originals will still shine brightest.

I agree. It's the "original" part that's hard, and separates the exceptional from the mediocre.

A really enjoyable piece. Thanks for posting!
Oh my...this made me think. Why do I so often skip ahead and read the endings first? Always thought it was because I inherently dislike suspense (a sort of artifice that takes away from what to me is the real story: character) but maybe for reasons closer to trauma: Beth dying totally floored me, too....until then, I struggled with animal protags dying but humans? Too painful. Also, once I know the ending, I can relax and enjoy the STORY.

In my experience, the opening line is like the first glance, perhaps in a coffee shop or market, but whether that first contact occurs over time and space, in the past, in the future, or in the present, its significance is as the first contact between alien species. Male and female, alien and human, leftist and rightist, matter not. Wish I had some citations to back this up, but sorry, none.

Oh my...this made me think. Why do I so often skip ahead and read the endings first? Always thought it was because I inherently dislike suspense (a sort of artifice that takes away from what to me is the real story: character) but maybe for reasons closer to trauma: Beth dying totally floored me, too....until then, I struggled with animal protags dying but humans? Too painful. Also, once I know the ending, I can relax and enjoy the STORY.
OMG! I can't possibly read the end until I get there. If it makes me wail, so be it (though the books I choose tend not to do that). If the back of the book blurb gives much away, I'll set the book aside until I've forgotten any spoilers. I also won't watch trailers for films I want to see. I just don't want to know. I want to start at the beginning and let the story take me to where it may.

OMG! I can't possibly read the end until I get there. If it makes me wail, so be it (though the books I choose tend not to do that). If the back of the book blurb gives much away, I'll set the book aside until I've forgotten any spoilers. I also won't watch trailers for films I want to see. I just don't want to know. I want to start at the beginning and let the story take me to where it may.
Exactly what my husband says, Hannah :) You should see us fighting over the remote control when I want to read what a film is "about" and he's like Just Press Play!

Also, once I know the ending, I can relax and enjoy the STORY.
Yep, that works for me, too. I think life throws enough unexpected tragedies at us. I don't want that in my fiction, too. At least in a book or a film I can "see" it coming if I choose to. But my husband is solidly behind Hannah – he goes mad if I so much as start to say, "I think it's about..." :D Sometimes I do that just for fun.

Vive la différence!

Back