Read any Good Books recently?

Reality Check 10 Things Literary Agents Look for in a Book

News New agency seeks submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
As some of you know, in December, I post a baker’s dozen of my favourite reads of the year. These aren’t all titles published recently.

2020 has been a weird year for all of us. With my local library closed for several months, I relied on charity shop paperbacks bought at four for £1 to keep me amused. With the library reopened, requested books have been dribbling through.

Normally, I read over 300 books annually. That figure has been cut into by devoting myself to creating audiobooks of my Cornish Detective series. This has not been fun.

Nevertheless, I’ve been blessed to read three novels that impressed me. I’ve mentioned a couple of them before—they’re worth seeking out—the quality of writing is superb. So good, it will inspire you or make you feel woefully inadequate! :confused:

* Delia Owens: Where The Crawdads Sing

220px-Where_The_Crawdads_Sing_Book_Cover.jpg

* Brad Watson: Miss Jane

51SMS-lzsKL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

* Rye Curtis: Kingdomtide

ImageHandler.ashx

Over to you...have you read any good books recently?

iu

Just finished 'The Flight of The Maidens' by Jane Gardam. Three clever, characterful, independent girls find their adult feet, fledging their nests at the end of the war. One has lost her father to suicide, the father of another works as a gravedigger, eschewing his former academic career. The third lost both of her parents in the Holocaust and came here on the kindertransport.

A window on a very particular time, full of wit and insight, but not downbeat. Ebay have copies for a couple of ££.

The Flight of The Maidens.jpg

Just finished 'The Flight of The Maidens' by Jane Gardam. Three clever, characterful, independent girls find their adult feet, fledging their nests at the end of the war. One has lost her father to suicide, the father of another works as a gravedigger, eschewing his former academic career. The third lost both of her parents in the Holocaust and came here on the kindertransport.

A window on a very particular time, full of wit and insight, but not downbeat. Ebay have copies for a couple of ££.

View attachment 6700
I read Jane Gardam's Old Filth earlier this year, liking it a lot more than I thought I would from the subject matter. I need to seek out the other two books in the trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality Check 10 Things Literary Agents Look for in a Book

News New agency seeks submissions

Back