Help! Quick questions, answer asap

D

Fanfare! HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE. HERES TO CHEERS AND CHOCOLATE :)

Reality Check What the hell is this about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2017
Lodeve, France
A colleague of my dead brother works for the publisher that I'm just about to sent my novel to. My sister in law (currently out of radio contact) suggested that I try that firm. Should I mention my brother's name in my query letter or not? @AgentPete (or anyone else) does is smack of trying the nepotism card?

I would suggest the word you are looking for is not nepotism, but networking.

Let's call this colleague of your brother X. Not knowing or understanding the relationships you're alluding to, or X's role at the publisher, my best half-assed advice would be to contact X directly, tell him how highly your brother spoke of him, and ask him--depending on his role--either to consider your novel himself or recommend an appropriate contact. If he gives you a contact, you can send it to her on the recommendation of X. Not nepotism at all, but networking.

I would suggest the word you are looking for is not nepotism, but networking.

Let's call this colleague of your brother X. Not knowing or understanding the relationships you're alluding to, or X's role at the publisher, my best half-assed advice would be to contact X directly, tell him how highly your brother spoke of him, and ask him--depending on his role--either to consider your novel himself or recommend an appropriate contact. If he gives you a contact, you can send it to her on the recommendation of X. Not nepotism at all, but networking.

OOh! I like how you think!

Thank you all. Mr Irholland your words reveal an interesting mind :) Sadly my sister in law is currently busy becoming a grandmother, and as I've said, my brother is dead. So I have no idea who 'X' is, or their capacities at the firm. Without further info I think it might have been risky to flaunt my brother's name. I've opted to write under my maiden name of Caldecott, which is the same name as my brother (duh, obviously). So if 'X' remembers my brother he might realise there is a connection... "I say, old girl. Are you any relation to Stratford Caldecott?" (And depending on his tone, I can either confirm or deny it :) ) Your plan was awesome (evil genius level), but only with all the relevent information. Mine is definitely less risky.

I think you should play any cards you get handed. I read stories about people who got published by simply being pushy, by doing exactly what they're told not to do... And the worst the publisher can do is reject the story, after all.

I think you should play any cards you get handed. I read stories about people who got published by simply being pushy, by doing exactly what they're told not to do... And the worst the publisher can do is reject the story, after all.

Actually that's not the worst that can happen. It's not that large of a community, and they do talk to each other. Authors who are viewed as pushy or difficult to work with aren't doing themselves any favors in the long run. Sure, maybe there are instances out there of people who got one book published, but if someone is a PITA to work with, that will catch up with them.

From everything I've read on this thread so far, it sounds like the connection is too tenuous to be of any use. @Rachel Caldecott-Thornton doesn't even know this person, correct? She doesn't know their history with the publisher. Better to go with someone you've at least talked to and have permission from to use their name.

Well, I´m guessing he will make the name connection and that is how you at least get your foot in the door. Maybe it might not amount to much right now ( or maybe it will), but it will get you noticed. I see no shame in writing it into your query letter, elegantly. I had to google your brother´s name because it sounded so literary, and noticed he wrote a pretty good amount of books. Enough, I would think, for the name to strike a chord with someone. ( Or maybe I´m mistaken and this person /author is not your brother???)
But, then again, it all depends on what this person´s job is within the publishing firm. Maybe he won´t even see your letter. AND, maybe you will put a smile on this person´s face, if he was fond of your brother. That being said, I´m Mexican, so maybe it´s up to the Brits to decide if this would be a good move.

Last edited:
Actually that's not the worst that can happen. It's not that large of a community, and they do talk to each other. Authors who are viewed as pushy or difficult to work with aren't doing themselves any favors in the long run. Sure, maybe there are instances out there of people who got one book published, but if someone is a PITA to work with, that will catch up with them.

From everything I've read on this thread so far, it sounds like the connection is too tenuous to be of any use. @Rachel Caldecott-Thornton doesn't even know this person, correct? She doesn't know their history with the publisher. Better to go with someone you've at least talked to and have permission from to use their name.

If i´m not misunderstanding this, she would use her brother´s name, right? Don´t think she´d need permission...Plus, she´d be publishing in the UK, not US.

...I had to google your brother´s name because it sounded so literary, and noticed he wrote a pretty good amount of books. Enough, I would think, for the name to strike a chord with someone. ( Or maybe I´m mistaken and this person /author is not your brother???)

That was the right brother. I'm cursed by being the 'sister of'... or the 'daughter of'... now even 'wife of'... ("Ooh your husband is a glassblower, how interesting! You? A writer? What have you written, that I might have read?")... and am now at risk of being 'mother of'...

Anyway, in the end I sent the letter off to them (yes, Bloomsbury Spark have opened their submission gates again) without talking about my brother, hoping the surname would do the trick.

Meanwhile, this morning at 2.30am I sent it off also to PanMacMillan Australia, who accept unagented submissions on the first Monday of the month, so hopefully some of you will submit in May, June, July, etc... But beware of the time difference! I forgot in March and missed the slot (10am to 4pm AEST).

That was the right brother. I'm cursed by being the 'sister of'... or the 'daughter of'... now even 'wife of'... ("Ooh your husband is a glassblower, how interesting! You? A writer? What have you written, that I might have read?")... and am now at risk of being 'mother of'...

Anyway, in the end I sent the letter off to them (yes, Bloomsbury Spark have opened their submission gates again) without talking about my brother, hoping the surname would do the trick.

Meanwhile, this morning at 2.30am I sent it off also to PanMacMillan Australia, who accept unagented submissions on the first Monday of the month, so hopefully some of you will submit in May, June, July, etc... But beware of the time difference! I forgot in March and missed the slot (10am to 4pm AEST).

Best of luck then! Keep us informed!

I don't know who your brother is. There is a Caldecott Medal and I don't have much luck googling what appears to be your maiden name. But as I've watched this thread, I've become increasingly baffled.

Your mother was an author too, right? I did look her up. She had an obit in a UK publication that ... wasn't the Mirror ... ah... The Guardian... which I think is a good publication.... nothing to sneeze at ... (and I'm sorry about your loss)...

Why not say you grew up surrounded by writers? It sure sounds as though you were. Why not use that as a stepping stone to mention your mothers name and your brothers name? Why aren't you doing this with everything you send out? It doesn't have to be pushy. Make it about how much you love writing, about how this is a world you appreciate and which you are familiar with. You're not lying. These are your legitimate influences. You're not exploiting connections. You're telling people who might take your work on that you have a vicarious foundation within their industry. You're a new writer but you might be easier to work with ... given this isn't actually your first rodeo....

Imagine all the questions and concerns a new writer has ... and while I suppose it's true you might have them ... it's less likely that you would ... you have what I would call a databank of 'What would Mom do?' or 'What did my brother say about that?' to access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Fanfare! HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE. HERES TO CHEERS AND CHOCOLATE :)

Reality Check What the hell is this about?

Back