greetings

The small publisher option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luciferette

Basic
Feb 28, 2017
East Yorkshire
I'm sure other Litopiats have had this "problem" (not really a problem, more of a curiosity).
My WIP is a stalker mystery set in a 1930s convent boarding school. It has three viewpoint characters: Nettie (housemistress), George (erotomaniac - I love that word!) and Rosa (pupil). Nettie is the main protagonist, George is the antagonist, and Rosa is there as the lynchpin between the two.
In the outline, Nettie was to get the majority of the airtime, so to speak, with George having most of the remainder and Rosa a scene where pertinent. Now I'm into the first draft, though, I'm finding George fascinating. It was always the aim to pick apart the mind of a man in the grip of an obsession, but what I don't want is to make him the major character...Nettie was supposed to be the important one!
Do I just ramp up Nettie's storyline and really concentrate on her? How best to keep her centre stage? Any ideas gratefully received, before I write myself into a George-shaped corner.
Ps. I had a stalker last year (anonymous at first, finally revealed to be a near-stranger with a fixation) - there's no way any writer worth their salt can pass up that sort of material!

Hmm... if George is emerging as the more interesting character, perhaps your muse is trying to tell you something? Can you still carry the story without Nettie's or Rosa's points of view, and instead tell it through George's? If it's fascinating for you to write from George's POV, chances are readers could find it more interesting to read from his POV as well.

Hi @Luciferette, I would say go with it. If you find George fascinating then chances are your readers will too. Try giving him his voice and see where it leads. He may not be as demanding as you think. But if he's insisting on a bigger part then perhaps it's your subconscious telling you something.

Thanks guys - I thought you might say something like that! I'm certainly leaning towards giving him equal weight in the narrative, now. His flirtation with provincial Fascism gives me plenty of meat to work with, too.
Just got to take care that Nettie doesn't become simply 'prey'. She needs to be forceful and well-rounded enough for us to root for her. She's in a clandestine affair with a mixed race musician (a convent mistress, jolly shocking!) so I guess I have to play up her own drama too.
Thanks again Litopia - I'm glad I joined!

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

greetings

The small publisher option

Back