Question: opinions needed, please.

Should I display all my books on my website or just the one that are currently available.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Question: Shall We Stop ChatGPT From Visiting the Colony?

elevator pitch opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this depends on what coming soon means. If it means both are done and in final edits but will be up before christmas, and you're taking pre-orders, all three. If you're just getting around to writing 2 and/or 3 and soon means maybe 2024, but maybe later, if you're going to put them up, I think some kind of ETA might be in order. I do think there is value in letting readers know it's a series, but there's negative value in letting them know it's a series and then not producing the next book for 20 years (I'm looking at you, GRR Martin)

I think this depends on what coming soon means. If it means both are done and in final edits but will be up before christmas, and you're taking pre-orders, all three. If you're just getting around to writing 2 and/or 3 and soon means maybe 2024, but maybe later, if you're going to put them up, I think some kind of ETA might be in order. I do think there is value in letting readers know it's a series, but there's negative value in letting them know it's a series and then not producing the next book for 20 years (I'm looking at you, GRR Martin)
I'm halfway through book two. So ETA on that one is probably Christmas... Book 3... Er, also Christmas (2024)

I’d firstly make sure book 1 says just that so readers know there are others in the series. I’d include book 2 and three but with veeery realistic publication dates. Don’t forget to include other books in the series at the front of each new book, which will mean updating Amazon (and/or other sites you might use to publish) in the future so each book has all your published books. Have you also considered adding a page at the end of your book saying something like, ‘If you enjoyed reading xyz please leave a written review on Amazon’ or something like that (apparently it’s a thing in self-publishing), although you might want to do a survey on Litopia to see whether others think it’s a good idea.

Hard to say. I know some readers won’t try a series of books if it isn’t finished yet, but others like to you’re actively working on them and will till give an unfinished series a chance. Personally, I’d list all three. Some people have been burned too many times for series, but I still think it would be beneficial to list them.

(I'm looking at you, GRR Martin)
I feel like a lot of people are already expecting someone like Brandon Sanderson to finish those. Even if we do get another book from him at some point.

I’d firstly make sure book 1 says just that so readers know there are others in the series. I’d include book 2 and three but with veeery realistic publication dates. Don’t forget to include other books in the series at the front of each new book, which will mean updating Amazon (and/or other sites you might use to publish) in the future so each book has all your published books. Have you also considered adding a page at the end of your book saying something like, ‘If you enjoyed reading xyz please leave a written review on Amazon’ or something like that (apparently it’s a thing in self-publishing), although you might want to do a survey on Litopia to see whether others think it’s a good idea.

Yeah, this is what I was worried about.
How easy is it to edit a publised ebook? If I leave the end blank can I add the subsequent books in later?

I have put a short sentence at the back about reviews. It seems to be best practice (In some peoples opinion)

How easy is it to edit a publised ebook? If I leave the end blank can I add the subsequent books in later?

I have put a short sentence at the back about reviews. It seems to be best practice (In some peoples opinion)
I'd put them all up, with estimated release dates. As for editing a published e-book, it's a piece of cake. Do your edits, upload new book. It usually takes 24 hours or so for the new version to be live on Amazon, and slightly longer (2-3 days) for the changes to be picked up by all the sellers if you're using D2D. If you're doing print, it's a little harder, because you can't add pages without changing your cover, but minor edits are fine, provided the page count stays the same. And you can add pages as long as you are willing to modify your cover, too.

On Amazon it’s really easy, basically you update your doc and upload it to Amazon. It can take a few days sometimes for the version to be available to buy. The only warning is if you’re planning on buying printed copies to sell yourself, don’t get too many so you can have the most recent version. You probably already know this, but Waterstones are usually quite good at taking a few copies of local authors books, they often have a section for local authors. They do want bar codes, but Amazon‘s print on demand offer them for free. I popped into my local Waterstones and they ordered mine right away. Your local independent book shop will probably take some copies on a sale or return basis and might even agree to an in-person reading and/or book signing.

On Amazon it’s really easy, basically you update your doc and upload it to Amazon. It can take a few days sometimes for the version to be available to buy. The only warning is if you’re planning on buying printed copies to sell yourself, don’t get too many so you can have the most recent version. You probably already know this, but Waterstones are usually quite good at taking a few copies of local authors books, they often have a section for local authors. They do want bar codes, but Amazon‘s print on demand offer them for free. I popped into my local Waterstones and they ordered mine right away. Your local independent book shop will probably take some copies on a sale or return basis and might even agree to an in-person reading and/or book signing.
I didn't realise Waterstones would do that.

I didn't realise Waterstones would do that.
Hopefully they’re all as friendly and open as the Wells branch. Maybe if you don’t already, pop in a few times so they know your face. Local libraries are usually quite good at helping local authors with readings, again pop in if your interested and see if they can help.

It's fine if the unpublished ones are on your website with estimated publish dates (and little spiels), but if you put them up on Amazon as preorders (no more than 90 days, apparently) and then change a date ... what happens is that Amazon advises anyone who's clicked on 'order now' will get a notification that they are unable to fulfil that order. There are no links to the book, nor the title/s. The buyer has to go into Amazon and search for it again.
In effect, if you put a pre-order on Amazon, have the book finished bar the shouting.

I like Bloo's suggestion about using something other than 'coming soon'. Make it humorous, if that's the tone of the books.

Or put some sort of 'date' as in: 'Coming in spring 2024.'

Are you able to add an 'Click here to be notified when it's available' button under the 'coming soon' bit? That way you're signing them up to a newsletter of sorts, and you can email them with a launch offer when it's ready.

Problem is, many people's memories are short. They don't come back to check layer.

Do you have subscribe to email newsletter facility/function/whateverit'scalled?

Hard to say. I know some readers won’t try a series of books if it isn’t finished yet, but others like to you’re actively working on them and will till give an unfinished series a chance. Personally, I’d list all three. Some people have been burned too many times for series, but I still think it would be beneficial to list them.

I feel like a lot of people are already expecting someone like Brandon Sanderson to finish those. Even if we do get another book from him at some point.
Brandon Sanderson can finish the Stormlight series first. When it began, he thought a book every three years and 9 in all, and I thought, hey, I just might live to see that finished, but he's behind and it's really dicey on that right now

I like Bloo's suggestion about using something other than 'coming soon'. Make it humorous, if that's the tone of the books.

Or put some sort of 'date' as in: 'Coming in spring 2024.'

Are you able to add an 'Click here to be notified when it's available' button under the 'coming soon' bit? That way you're signing them up to a newsletter of sorts, and you can email them with a launch offer when it's ready.

Problem is, many people's memories are short. They don't come back to check layer.

Do you have subscribe to email newsletter facility/function/whateverit'scalled?
That's a really good point. So, is there a reason to delay putting out the first until the second is ready? this is a general question. I know there's a strategy on essentially giving away the first in a series, then hoping people like it enough to buy book two, but I'd think you lose that advantage if is six months to two years before book two comes out.

That's a really good point. So, is there a reason to delay putting out the first until the second is ready? this is a general question. I know there's a strategy on essentially giving away the first in a series, then hoping people like it enough to buy book two, but I'd think you lose that advantage if is six months to two years before book two comes out.
Lots of different advice out there.
Some advise writing an entire series before publishing anything and release them in quick succession.
Others advise getting your first book out as soon as it's done to build readership for the next books.
I don't think there's a right answer to be honest, but i think two years is probably pushing it lol.

Do you have subscribe to email newsletter facility/function/whateverit'scalled
I've just finished setting up such a thing today.

Lots of different advice out there.
Some advise writing an entire series before publishing anything and release them in quick succession.
Others advise getting your first book out as soon as it's done to build readership for the next books.
I don't think there's a right answer to be honest, but i think two years is probably pushing it lol.

I've just finished setting up such a thing today.
I feel like it depends on if self-publishing or traditional publishing as well. I’ve noticed self-published authors who have more work ready at the start tend to get more sales than they would traditional publishing with a single book out. I know I’m more likely to try out a new series if there are three or four books already out. Becaue if I enjoy a story I’m more likely too continue and remember it exists if I’ve read more than one book in a series. I kind of need to be reminded about a series if I’ve just read one book of it.

I feel like it depends on if self-publishing or traditional publishing as well. I’ve noticed self-published authors who have more work ready at the start tend to get more sales than they would traditional publishing with a single book out. I know I’m more likely to try out a new series if there are three or four books already out. Becaue if I enjoy a story I’m more likely too continue and remember it exists if I’ve read more than one book in a series. I kind of need to be reminded about a series if I’ve just read one book of it.
Yeah. I'm the same. I devoured The Witcher books earlier this year and am currently munching my way through Ben Aaronovitch's books.
I am purposely not starting the Stormlight Archive series and a Song of Ice and Fire because they are not finished

Personally, and that's just me, I'd get all 3 ready, then control how and when to release them. There's no rush. But by making people wait too long between, you may lose traction after book 1.

Or at least get 1 and 2 done and 3 into a state where it could be ready in a couple of months.

But I really don't know. I just know that buyers can be fickle and many readers easily distracted with other books.

Until you have a loyal following, that is.

Last edited:
Personally, and that's just me, I'd get all 3 ready, then control how and when to release them. There's no rush. But by making people wait, you may lose traction after book 1.

Or at least get 1 and 2 done and 3 into a state where it could be ready in a couple of months.

But I really don't know. I just know that buyers can be fickle and many readers easily distracted with other books.
Yeah. My plan was to get Book two to the second draft stage before publishing book 1 so the wait wasn't too long.
Book three is still only in the outline stage, but I wondered about keeping readers engaged with short stories in the same world in the interim

Yeah, short stories and novellas could work. It'd be some sort of activity between. (Keeping in mind that any short story you write in between is time you're not writing on your novel.)
This is very true.
I'm currently at that point now. Splitting my time between writing book 2 and a 10,000 word short about some of the characters from the first book. It's... Going okay actually.

If I really like book 1 in a series, I tend to buy the next one as soon as I've finished, so I can keep with the characters and the story. If there is no book 2 (or 3) yet to go on to, I tend to move on to another book or series. Then I'm likely to forget I was going to buy book 2. Only ones I super-love will have me waiting a while for the next instalment.

If I really like book 1 in a series, I tend to buy the next one as soon as I've finished, so I can keep with the characters and the story. If there is no book 2 (or 3) yet to go on to, I tend to move on to another book or series. Then I'm likely to forget I was going to buy book 2. Only ones I super-love will have me waiting a while for the next instalment.
I'm the same.
The trouble with my books is the MC dies at the end of the first book and book two follows a completely new protagonist. Characters from the first book arrive in the plot later. It isn't obvious that the story is a sequel, it reads like a new story set in the same world/universe.

I like this idea. Can you make book two available for pre-order?

Absolutely possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question: Shall We Stop ChatGPT From Visiting the Colony?

elevator pitch opinions

Back