News Online Seminar by Blue Pencil Agency Nov. 3oth

Help! Commonplace Book vs Scrapbook

Rant So the claims that AI will save humanity may not be sincere?

Pamela Jo

Oct 26, 2021
Wexford, Ireland
TYM's book "Intuitive Editing" is on our Writers' Reading List 2024. Ten bucks on Kindle. Better value than the above, I'll be bound.

£45! I'm not even going to bother reading past the blue title!
If you think how little information it’s possible to squeeze into a 2-hour seminar, and then compare it to the treasure-trove of info contained inside a book, there’s no comparison.

Seminars can work in other ways, though (which is why I do them). But for imparting information, books win hands-down.

If you think how little information it’s possible to squeeze into a 2-hour seminar, and then compare it to the treasure-trove of info contained inside a book, there’s no comparison.

Seminars can work in other ways, though (which is why I do them). But for imparting information, books win hands-down.
Cant disagree, but it is set up where you can submit your own work for feedback and participate. A bit like a Huddle from the sound of it. On the other hand TYM's courses are around 25.00 US. I'm taking one on self-publish or hybrid from Jane Friedman. Also under 30.00 US

Just curious. I start writing at 0600 and continue until 1000 before moving on to editorial and professional development, including Litopia. At noon, I try to switch into business mode and deal with the rest of life. How do other Litopians fit in time for TYM and her ilk?

Just curious. I start writing at 0600 and continue until 1000 before moving on to editorial and professional development, including Litopia. At noon, I try to switch into business mode and deal with the rest of life. How do other Litopians fit in time for TYM and her ilk?
I count any "craft" reading as part of my revision time. If you find a book or seminar that works for you, it'll usually expedite the process anyway because you won't waste as much time editing the "wrong" way. Some people will rely entirely on feedback from others but I think it helps to have a "theory" based perspective too.

That’s pretty disciplined, Peyton. Curious as to how it arose – have you always been as focused? Impressive.

Yes. How does anyone get anything done without focusing? Or am I missing something?
Quite right.

I worry that the internet (or large parts of it) are almost totally defocusing us, particularity young folk. If you read the recent lawsuit against Zuckerberg, you’ll see how deep and how cynical these people are. They will go to any lengths to distract you.

I became aware of this a few years ago when I read that games makers were employing behavioural psychologists to make their games more distracting, more addictive. Pretty evil stuff, really. Feels like mind warfare.

It's not so much a voluntary effort to focus as ambition-driven obsession.
tim curry obsession GIF

Just bailing on the Jane Friedman lecture. Her version of hybrid is what I call vanity press. You have to pay starting at 25 K. Disappointed. Why is that topic even worth discussing. Just tell people to stay the hell away.

Help! Commonplace Book vs Scrapbook

Rant So the claims that AI will save humanity may not be sincere?

Back