One more added to the list

Genre Snobs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read recently about Jacques Delores, the president of the European Union having a little book called 'Maurice' that he uses to note the names of people that have crossed him over the years.

On a similar note, my landlord has taken my money and not paid the mortgage for 6 months, all the while, swanning around town buying bottles of champagne for all and sundry, talking about vineyards he is buying in Bergerac.

I now have a sizeable body of 'content' that I can weave into some stories, based on this unsavory character.

So Litopians, do you have a little book that you note the names and events of people who have crossed you? do you base any of your characters on real-life people? and, are the unsavory types more interesting to characterise?

Villains are easier to write than goody goodies. Actors prefer playing the bad guy.

I realised that the detective protagonist of my novels was in danger of being the biggest bore in the story, so I've given him some eccentricities as well as allowing the reader into his private thoughts—in the hope that they'll bond with him. Conan Doyle had the same problem with Sherlock Holmes, hence all of his peculiarities.

As for using real people as inspiration for writing villains, I've done so in subtle ways. I'm not sure that the people I represented fictionally would have recognised themselves anyway, as they had personality flaws that warped how they saw the world, including their place in it. One was a manipulative and judgmental member of the Freemasons, who was in charge of security for a credit card company. The other an undiagnosed psychopath, who worked as a family doctor and who couldn't get a full-time job because of his cold ways. Instead, he moved around as a locum—spreading the suffering he handed out!

People in positions of power are given too much respect, with their character flaws ignored as just part of what it takes to run a company or government. Look at Donald Trump—a classic example of a psychopath. Try doing the psychopath test, which I posted in an old thread as if you were him answering.

I've done the opposite too, by basing nice characters on people I know—with their permission, of course. I change their names, though one friend insisted on me using her actual name and some of the details of her life.

That has provoked a weird thought - could I make a single character out of a composite of the most dysfunctional married couple that I know. Have to be a goodie - as they both have wonderfully endearing characteristics.

Oh, I keep a well organized, non-tangible record of people who crossed me in my head :D And I'm like a friggin elephant- I NEVER FORGET :D

I'm trying to not create completely-good/bad characters in my stories, as life is more complicated than that. But whatever bad traits they have (and poor choices they make) is usually based on what I observed in people in life, yes.

Oh, I keep a well organized, non-tangible record of people who crossed me in my head :D And I'm like a friggin elephant- I NEVER FORGET :D

I'm trying to not create completely-good/bad characters in my stories, as life is more complicated than that. But whatever bad traits they have (and poor choices they make) is usually based on what I observed in people in life, yes.
Remind me never to get on your bad side. ;)

Out of self-defense I try to only remember people who were nice to me.

I don't and won't keep a list like Jacques Delores.. They call it carrying a grudge because it is a burden on the aggrieved individual. His little book reminds me of Richard Nixon and his enemies list. This is not a compliment. That said, I have used bits of dialog from people I don't like, and it's villains speaking.

I thought it was Juncker. Unless he has one too, like Victor Meldrew, who had a little book he filled in at night sitting in bed.

It had columns with headings like Liar, Twat, Idiot.

He'd say things like - Ah, so and so. Now where do I put him? He goes under Liar....no, he needs to go under Twat as well. Double entry :)

Anyone sufficiently in my bad books, I wouldn't need a book.

1 I don't collect people I don't want to have dealings with. I avoid or move on.

2 If I am angry or disgusted enough, I need no reminders.

3 As I get older, I am less likely to have anyone even try to diss me, but if they do, I don't let them get away with it. Then I have no reason to be angry. Plus, maybe they'll be more polite to the next person who comes along.

I thought it was Juncker. Unless he has one too, like Victor Meldrew, who had a little book he filled in at night sitting in bed.

He'd say things like - Ah, so and so. Now where do I put him? He goes under Liar....no, he needs to go under Twat as well. Double entry :)

1 I don't collect people I don't want to have dealings with. I avoid or move on.

3 As I get older, I am less likely to have anyone even try to diss me, but if they do, I don't let them get away with it. Then I have no reason to be angry. Plus, maybe they'll be more polite to the next person who comes along.

I stand corrected, you are absolutely right, its Jean-Claud Juncker.

I read recently about Jacques Delores, the president of the European Union having a little book called 'Maurice' that he uses to note the names of people that have crossed him over the years.

Went to school with a kid who did exactly that! He just disappeared one day. Never did find out what became of him.

On a similar note, my landlord has taken my money and not paid the mortgage for 6 months, all the while, swanning around town buying bottles of champagne for all and sundry, talking about vineyards he is buying in Bergerac.

Was down there a few months ago, it's nice indeed :)

The enemy list idea doesn't appeal, but I do like those headings.

The enemy list idea doesn't appeal, but I do like those headings.

Hehehehe...lady after my own heart.

But, speaking of writing as with real life, I think it is possible to be a right stonking villain, and also boring as suet. Vices aren't exciting per se. The ingenuity might be, with which they are gratified.

Il Matrimonio is reading about the American Mafia at the moment.

They were big on wit and repartee. Such larks! In-between all the screaming and dying.

Last edited:
Turning them into material is a creative thinker's constructive response. Manure out of sh - or a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I have been stabbed in the back so many times, but I keep repeating the mantra 'Success is the best form of revenge'.
When I achieve success, I shall go through my little book (perfidious), and ring the mobiles of the members contained within and laugh in my most sinister manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genre Snobs...

Back