On genre...

M

something to ponder

Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been whacking my keyboard daily for many years now, and have six books to show for it. I understand that it's a lifelong process, but am I eventually going to at least find a single genre I can settle down into? So far the work covers the tiniest niches in three different genres. Most online advice from successful authors indicates that series writing is the key to making a living, but I haven't yet hit on how to write with some sense of commitment to the story when I'm "writing to order". It just doesn't work. Anyone else have this problem?

Richard, I hope you can continue to experiment whatever, but I think if you want to be well established and build a following it helps to concentrate most of your efforts on one genre, at least while you do that.

Believe me, Brian, when I say I wish I could do that. Maybe I'm just a wimp when it comes to the muse duJour. I set up the pen name so that at least one of them can be corralled into western-motif work. While the HistFic books were generally well-received, it's the fantasy element in them that motivated me to begin with. The latest one, venturing into YA, seems like a goof, but the early response has been good, too. I've also tried to take notes for later use, but if the muse screams, "Story!" I've gotta jump, or it goes away, Maybe rigid discipline is the answer?

But if you don't go where you Muse takes you, do you then compromise the quality of your creativity? I would write it first, then worry about it later.

Nice to see the place slowly but surely filling up. We'll be adding areas and features, perhaps including Flash Club, soon.

Aha, neither, mes amis... although Brian’s socks do seem to be getting an awful lot of attention here :p

Flash Club is short-form, quickly executed fiction. With a monthly winner. Like a warm-up writing exercise - don’t spend days on it – it’s a bit of limbering-up fun.

Oh i see! Should have gotten that from the name really shouldn't I lol :) Sounds fab

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

something to ponder

Greetings

Back