February writing goals.

Phone Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2018
WD3
Hi
Sitting in my local library, working on my novel. I had written down Litopia in my notebook a few months ago, intending to investigate. Completely forgot, but in a distraction from writing, I came across it again and here I am.

I have written a novel (76K words, literary fiction) and it is currently out with agents. I'm not sure if I've sold myself or the book well in my covering letter & synopsis and beginning to think that my novel may need more work before presentable. So I'm working on something else, giving myself some space from my completed novel, which I'll look again at in a month's time and see what's what. I'm thinking of splashing out on a manuscript assessment (Faber's one looks the most professional and I'd be interested to hear of other writer's experiences).

About myself. I have a background in theatre and originally wrote my novel as a play and despite some positive feedback, no one wanted to develop and/or produce it. I decided that it might work as a novel - the jury's out on that... The novel I am currently working on I also wrote as a play, but I knew it didn't really work dramatically. I think fiction will be better suited to the theme. I did dabble in poetry (couple of published poems and some performance poetry) 25/30 years ago, then things like family and earning a living got in the way, but want to give it a go before it's too late.

I realise that I need stimulation beyond simply reading a lot and getting cramp from being hunched over my laptop and I'm hoping to read, listen and learn from others on the site.

Richard Wilkes

We have a writing group on here which is very helpful indeed even for me. You upload your work and fellow writers aka Litopian's will have a good read of you works and will provide direct and sincere feedback on how you can improve your work and writing etc. Its very private and the public can not see it.
You should be granted access in 7 days time :)
Kind Regards, Alix

Welcome to the Colony! :)

I'm thinking of splashing out on a manuscript assessment (Faber's one looks the most professional and I'd be interested to hear of other writer's experiences).
Rather than splashing out, why not wait a week or so and get people on Litopia to give their views? Lots of experience going on here, I think!
I've gotta say, I agree with Chris. Once you've been here a week and made twenty posts, you'll have access to the writing groups. They're free, and therefore excellent value for money. ;)

Hi
Sitting in my local library, working on my novel. I had written down Litopia in my notebook a few months ago, intending to investigate. Completely forgot, but in a distraction from writing, I came across it again and here I am.

Welcome!

I have written a novel (76K words, literary fiction) and it is currently out with agents. I'm not sure if I've sold myself or the book well in my covering letter & synopsis

It sounds to me like you have a perfect grasp of the predicament. Convincing others of the value of your writing and writing aren't the same skill.

I'm thinking of splashing out on a manuscript assessment (Faber's one looks the most professional and I'd be interested to hear of other writer's experiences).

Fabers sounds like something one would pay for. Has anyone else read it? I mean besides friends and family? You can always post it in the writing groups -- maybe the first chapter or so to see if your'e comfortable.

About myself. I have a background in theatre and originally wrote my novel as a play and despite some positive feedback, no one wanted to develop and/or produce it. I decided that it might work as a novel - the jury's out on that... The novel I am currently working on I also wrote as a play, but I knew it didn't really work dramatically. I think fiction will be better suited to the theme. I did dabble in poetry (couple of published poems and some performance poetry) 25/30 years ago, then things like family and earning a living got in the way, but want to give it a go before it's too late.

I realise that I need stimulation beyond simply reading a lot and getting cramp from being hunched over my laptop and I'm hoping to read, listen and learn from others on the site.

Richard Wilkes

Cool!

Welcome! Yes, I agree about putting your work up here to get feedback, but I also know the benefits of paying a manuscript assessor to give feedback--I have always felt it worth what I've paid. No reason you can't do both.

"...I'm thinking of splashing out on a manuscript assessment (Faber's one looks the most professional and I'd be interested to hear of other writer's experiences)..."

Welcome!

I splashed out and got a review from The Literary Consultancy (TLC). They made a mistake at first and sent my clearly marked 'YA Fiction' to a SciFi reviewer. I waited for many weeks, then got his report. It was interesting and overall encouraging, and I worked on his suggestions. However, he did finish up by saying 'You should consider marketing it as a YA novel'. Hmmm, so after such a long wait, I contacted TLC again and asked for another review (free of charge). I got it, and six weeks later I got the report back from the YA reviewer. I worked her suggestions into the story as well, and ended up with something much better than before. But I was still getting rejections. So then I tried a Litopia Pop-Up session. I found Agent Pete's input spot on. So I reworked the beginning, then handed it over to peer review with other Litopians. I was lucky to have several offers of help, but chose to work with one woman, who is absolutely fantastic! (She knows who she is :) ) In the end, I have more faith in Litopians than in the professional manuscript assessment firms. Firms are in it for the money. Litopians are in it for the art and for the solidarity.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck :)

Thanks, Rachel, for your input on manuscript assessments. I expect it can be a bit of a lottery - what you end up with. Thanks, Barbara, for your welcome too.

... In the end, I have more faith in Litopians than in the professional manuscript assessment firms. Firms are in it for the money. Litopians are in it for the art and for the solidarity.

I think you hit the nail on the head, @Rachel Caldecott-Thornton. No one here makes any money off giving advice, nor does @AgentPete get paid for doing Pop-Up Submissions. He does them because he genuinely wants to help demystify the submissions process, and because he wants to help writers develop their craft. So many members here offer their critique of work because they want to help each other, and because as writers we learn from offering critique as well as receiving it. This truly is a unique writing community. Glad you're here! :)

Thanks Pete. Lots of welcomes! Many thanks to all for making me feel ... welcome!

I haven't been through everything on the site yet, but is there a forum for discussing recent work we've read. Any sort of online book club where we discuss what we've read and why we did or didn't like it? Or is this an informal sharing. I guess litopians are a diverse bunch who cover a myriad of genres. I've just finished reading 'Memory of Love' by Aminatta Forna - and I think she is a very good writer, and the topic and themes (Sierra Leone civil war, PTSD, treachery, love) excellent but the novel was too long and tried to cover too much, I felt, and diluted some of the most interesting material. Be interested if anyone else has read this and what they thought. I'm quite eclectic in my reading. Have also just finished Book of Dust - Philip Pullman - it was good to back in that world, although the novelty has gone a bit.

I ramble ....

Hi @Richard Wilkes! Feel free to post a book review, but please remember to adhere to Litopia's Prime Directive and keep the critique constructive. Also, you should know the posts on this forum are searchable across the Internet. Thanks! :)

I’m puzzled - why do reviews of books or films that people may wish to share here have to be constructive ? Surely they should be honest and aimed at readers/viewers?

I’m puzzled - why do reviews of books or films that people may wish to share here have to be constructive ? Surely they should be honest and aimed at readers/viewers?

A review can be honest and still be constructive. Let me clarify what I mean by "constructive." :)

For example, saying, "This author is a flaming pile of dog crap and couldn't write his way out of a paper bag" is not constructive.

Saying, "I counted sixteen plot holes in the first chapter alone. The sentence structure was clunky, and the main characters behaved in inconsistent ways throughout the novel" is, because it provides specific feedback without personal attacks on the author. :)

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
I see, but since reviews are generally subjective, and aim to inform the reader rather than the author I don’t see why we need to give this sort of feedback.

If of course we were analysing a piece in relation to craft then yes, I can see a discussion delving into what does or doesn’t work evolving, but is still likely to be subjective and still isn’t aimed at the author.

Obviously the first example is abusive and that would not be acceptable in any context. It’s just I would aim to be constructive in a critique but when I leave a review it is just an opinion on something I’ve read.

Maybe I’ve been doing it wrong all thee years!!!

I see, but since reviews are generally subjective, and aim to inform the reader rather than the author I don’t see why we need to give this sort of feedback.

If of course we were analysing a piece in relation to craft then yes, I can see a discussion delving into what does or doesn’t work evolving, but is still likely to be subjective and still isn’t aimed at the author.

Obviously the first example is abusive and that would not be acceptable in any context. It’s just I would aim to be constructive in a critique but when I leave a review it is just an opinion on something I’ve read.

Maybe I’ve been doing it wrong all thee years!!!

All I'm asking is that people don't resort to personal attacks on the author, like the first example. And yes, of course, any opinion of whether or not someone liked a book is going to be subjective. I'm not saying we expect people to analyze the book, only that they keep their opinions focused on the story. On the writing. Does that help? :)

Last edited:
Focus on book rather than author makes sense and is what I would expect. It was just your use of the work ‘constructive’ suggested to me that we were expected to provide constructive feedback for the author which seems a bit of an odd thing to do in a review which is primarily for the benefit of other readers. Maybe a US Uk language difference :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

February writing goals.

Phone Books

Back