The nebulous nature of language

Amusement TED Talk "The hilarious art of book design"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick S

Basic
Jun 19, 2019
Kent
Hallo to all. I'm new here, feeling the isolation of writing a bit since I moved from 'that London' to a smaller town. It meant I also left the band I was in, which was kind of the opposite of sitting in a room producing work alone, and made me work with others, perform, and, to be honest, sit in cars for rather long distances wondering if I was getting too old for 'that kind of thing'.

I'm usually working on at least one novel and a few short stories at any one time, in between procrastinating. I've had one novel published, and one (20K-word) 'novelette' but am always looking out to get more out there. I write 'literary fiction', for want of a better description, but I'm not into producing anything arty. I think writing should tell a story in the first instance, and not be unrhymed poetry. Having said that, I think that kind of writing can indeed work, if you're in the mood for it.

I work as a freelance writer and editor - not in creative fields, so I just about have enough separation between work and writing.

Thanks, Kate. I have been playing a bit on the local folk scene, so nothing fancy recently. What do you play?

Ooh, folk, I love a bit of that!

I can play a bit of acoustic guitar and a bit of ukulele (I haven't decided which bit) and I also do an unpaid sideline in vocal arrangements.

I love music generally, so pretty much any genre will make me happy, but when the guitar or the uke are out, I will often default to folk-tinged music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The nebulous nature of language

Amusement TED Talk "The hilarious art of book design"

Back