• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

New in Litopia Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick S

Basic
LitBits
Hallo to all. I'm new here, feeling the isolation of writing a bit since I moved from 'that London' to a smaller town. It meant I also left the band I was in, which was kind of the opposite of sitting in a room producing work alone, and made me work with others, perform, and, to be honest, sit in cars for rather long distances wondering if I was getting too old for 'that kind of thing'.

I'm usually working on at least one novel and a few short stories at any one time, in between procrastinating. I've had one novel published, and one (20K-word) 'novelette' but am always looking out to get more out there. I write 'literary fiction', for want of a better description, but I'm not into producing anything arty. I think writing should tell a story in the first instance, and not be unrhymed poetry. Having said that, I think that kind of writing can indeed work, if you're in the mood for it.

I work as a freelance writer and editor - not in creative fields, so I just about have enough separation between work and writing.

Thanks, Kate. I have been playing a bit on the local folk scene, so nothing fancy recently. What do you play?

Ooh, folk, I love a bit of that!

I can play a bit of acoustic guitar and a bit of ukulele (I haven't decided which bit) and I also do an unpaid sideline in vocal arrangements.

I love music generally, so pretty much any genre will make me happy, but when the guitar or the uke are out, I will often default to folk-tinged music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back