First Impressions Count!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryPI

Basic
Feb 26, 2018
Dorset, England
Fellow Litopians I beseech you!

It is 2.58am and I realise that my WIP has no name that fits.
Alas, it may not be to everyone's taste, but it is a self-imposed test of my versatility. It is hard to nail the genre down because it simply does not want to conform. It is something of a mid-life crisis/coming-of-age or coming-to-terms romance with aspects of eroticism.

Themes that are dominant:
  • Lost youth.
  • Loveless marriage.
  • Betrayal and affairs.
  • Fluctuating emotional states.
  • Self-identification.
  • Sexuality.
It is a low-key, relatable story about Jennifer/Jenny--a middle-aged housewife--experiencing a particularly bad time and having to take control as she comes to terms with her husband breaking the status-quo.

My title thoughts are erratic and intermingle with each other, but I can't seem to nail anything down that doesn't sound like a cliché.
  • Jennifer's Temptations
  • Jennifer, Tempted
  • Jennifer, Rediscovered
  • The Broken Housewife
  • A Housewife's Journey
  • Jennifer's Turmoil
  • A Housewife's Crisis
  • The Housewife Crisis
  • The Broken Housewife
  • Tit For Tat--with possibly a tagline...
  • Breaking Jennifer
  • Jennifer's Pain
  • Jennifer's Place
  • A Wife's Duty
  • Another Broken Wife
Even writing those here and adding even more, it seems I can't help but feel like these are just the same old formula.

Thoughts?
Should I abandon using her name in the title?

p.s.
This could break me.

Why not just finish it and then worry about the title? Makes no difference if you have not written 'The End'. Call it what you want as a WIP. If its your first book, then book 1. If its your 10th book, then book 10. And if its your...I am sure you get the picture.

If she is 'coming to terms with / taking control' maybe the title should be closer to 'making Jennifer' than 'breaking Jennifer'? Gives you a different set of options to play with, and is more positive.

Maybe avoid 'housewife' in the title. Or at least, I would.

Isn't there an English expression about sweeping stuff under carpets? Or clearing out the corners? Or something about clearing cobwebs? And isn't there one about clearing your own doorstep? But foreign me might have got that wrong. Still, it might trigger something.

Something to do with 'domestic'? 'Gone Beyond Domestic' ... Er, maybe not.

How about 'The Renewal'.

Or something with the word unbroken / nearly broken, since she is going through a crisis, assuming she's still alive at the end.

There was a song in the 90's, (Bon Jovi, methinks) called 'This Ain't a Love Song.' Maybe play with something along those lines?

You say about a broken status quo. Would status q have some use? And anyone googling the band might come across your book. But don't make it sound like a biography.

What's her main goal? Could that be weaved in there?

Last edited:
Spinning Jenny seems apposite. As well as having that double meaning going on. But I think @Matnov has it right. It arises organically from within. Tell yourself to come up with something and eventually you will, maybe while you're half asleep. No rushing it.

Naming a book with someone's forename in the title will make it appeal to readers with the same name, but leave others unmoved or even put off. By saying that, I mean if the name is part of the title—try to think of famous novels that include a name as one of several words. Yet, single names feature heavily in classic titles: Kim, Rebecca, Matilda, Emma, Othello, Lolita, Frankenstein, Carrie, Macbeth, Hamlet, Dracula, Candide, Coraline, Heidi, Ivanhoe, etc.

Is Jenny or Jennifer strong enough a name to represent the storyline?

For some reason, when I read your list of themes, my mind flashed on W. Somerset Maughan's Of Human Bondage, which, as a title is all-encompassing of the themes in the story. A suitable title may well come to you after you've typed The End, but there's nothing to stop you using a working title. To my mind, a title is crucial in many ways, and it's important in a similar fashion to how the mascot on the bonnet of a car draws the eye, denoting something about the nature of the vehicle.

image-7-for-sm-motors-20-08-11-gallery-237010602.jpg

Why not just finish it and then worry about the title? Makes no difference if you have not written 'The End'. Call it what you want as a WIP. If its your first book, then book 1. If its your 10th book, then book 10. And if its your...I am sure you get the picture.

Matnov thanks for the reply, it is my first book, but three chapters left and I felt I should think about it a little more deeply. I disagree, it wasn't charmless--I asked for opinions and they all greatly matter. Cheers!

If she is 'coming to terms with / taking control' maybe the title should be closer to 'making Jennifer' than 'breaking Jennifer'? Gives you a different set of options to play with, and is more positive.

Marc Joan, I like looking at the positive but I also want to convey the struggle from going from something that she was to something that brings about new change.

Jenny Unboxed

You have some freaky things going on there?

Amber, I wouldn't say it was anything "freaky"--nothing like 50 shades. Though I like the "Un" bit, maybe unravelled...

Maybe avoid 'housewife' in the title. Or at least, I would.

Isn't there an English expression about sweeping stuff under carpets? Or clearing out the corners? Or something about clearing cobwebs? And isn't there one about clearing your own doorstep? But foreign me might have got that wrong. Still, it might trigger something.

Something to do with 'domestic'? 'Gone Beyond Domestic' ... Er, maybe not.

How about 'The Renewal'.

Or something with the word unbroken / nearly broken, since she is going through a crisis, assuming she's still alive at the end.

There was a song in the 90's, (Bon Jovi, methinks) called 'This Ain't a Love Song.' Maybe play with something along those lines?

You say about a broken status quo. Would status q have some use? And anyone googling the band might come across your book. But don't make it sound like a biography.

What's her main goal? Could that be weaved in there?

Barbara, I understand exactly where you're coming from. I'm not quite over the moon with the sound of it and its connotations, but it is part of her character that she sheds and might be something to catch the eye of the reader. Maybe I should use the word in a tagline instead...

"Cleaning out the closet" or "Spring Cleaning" are the ones that come to mind and I could find something in between them.

She is still alive, there is nothing close to outrageous adventure; more self-discovery through her own natural journey of being just another person in the crowd to standing out again. I will look at the song :)

Jennifer's Broken Status Quo? Maybe I need another J for catchy alliteration...

She doesn't consciously have a main goal, through her husband's betrayal--though not sexual--she tries to reconcile herself to their new woes, whilst dealing with an increasingly loveless marriage, the younger her and being a strong parental figure as she refinds her voice.

The book is all about her, why not just "Jennifer"

Could be the right kind of eye-catching for the reader to look at the blurb!

Spinning Jenny seems apposite. As well as having that double meaning going on. But I think @Matnov has it right. It arises organically from within. Tell yourself to come up with something and eventually you will, maybe while you're half asleep. No rushing it.

Right no decisions until I finish, but this is all really helping too!

The genre sounds like women's fiction, not romance.

Actually, I think you're right. It started off as an idea to be a romance, but over time it has changed to be more about Jennifer, than Jennifer and the love interest. Well, that makes me a little happier with a closer genre. Cheers!

Naming a book with someone's forename in the title will make it appeal to readers with the same name, but leave others unmoved or even put off. By saying that, I mean if the name is part of the title—try to think of famous novels that include a name as one of several words. Yet, single names feature heavily in classic titles: Kim, Rebecca, Matilda, Emma, Othello, Lolita, Frankenstein, Carrie, Macbeth, Hamlet, Dracula, Candide, Coraline, Heidi, Ivanhoe, etc.

Is Jenny or Jennifer strong enough a name to represent the storyline?

For some reason, when I read your list of themes, my mind flashed on W. Somerset Maughan's Of Human Bondage, which, as a title is all-encompassing of the themes in the story. A suitable title may well come to you after you've typed The End, but there's nothing to stop you using a working title. To my mind, a title is crucial in many ways, and it's important in a similar fashion to how the mascot on the bonnet of a car draws the eye, denoting something about the nature of the vehicle.

Paul Whybrow, I did want it to appeal as much with the name as her age does correlate with the most named "Jennifer's" born when she is supposed to be. I am a little wary of making it a one-named title because this is in no way written to match any classic form of literature.

I don't know if Jennifer is strong enough for the title. I went with the name for the reasons stated above, not wanting to have something outlandish that is completely unrelatable, but the sound of it doesn't have a booming impact. I don't know if that's me and my constant use of it though...

Thanking all of you for your thoughts again!

You are not the only one to have problems with titles but don't fret about it too much. The right one will come along eventually and you will probably know it when you see it.
Some people use the trick of taking the important words from your book "Broken" "Temptations" "Escape" "Jennifer" "Loveless" "Betrayal" etc. and writing them on bits of card. Then put them on a table and swirl them around and see what comes out. I can't say it will read the perfect title but it might just trigger an idea or a phrase that will lead you to right title. You'll know it when you see it.
Good luck.

Spring Cleaning Jennifer.

There might be something to be found in 'Doing the Chores'. The Day Jennifer Ditched the Chores.

Or in brushing oneself off, as in brush yourself off after a fight and continue.

Complete it first, have you written your synopsis yet?
The synopsis is great for a summary both for yourself and agents.
It may inspire you, you never know :)
Maybe, name-wise - Mistress of the house? Or Paramore? (Paramour means kept woman) Dear Jenny/Dearest Jenny? Take Care Jenny?

Last edited by a moderator:
Complete it first, have you written your synopsis yet?
The synopsis is great for a summary both for yourself and agents.
It may inspire you, you never know :)
Maybe, name-wise - Mistress of the house? Or Paramore? (Paramour means kept woman) Dear Jenny/Dearest Jenny? Take Care Jenny?

Will do, and I will keep those words in mind too. Probably revisit this thread as I go along. Thanks.

Marc Joan--it is good and Jenny seems more friendly, as well as catchy.

That is a brilliant title!

I'm a bit of a history buff and it came to me because the early cotton spinning machines used during the early industrial revolution were called Spinning Jennys. Spinning jenny - Wikipedia
But whether that reference has any relevance to your story or not I don't know. The machines were mostly operated by women because their hands were smaller and more nimble so that could be a link.

I'm a bit of a history buff and it came to me because the early cotton spinning machines used during the early industrial revolution were called Spinning Jennys. Spinning jenny - Wikipedia
But whether that reference has any relevance to your story or not I don't know. The machines were mostly operated by women because their hands were smaller and more nimble so that could be a link.

No relevance really, but I love how everyone here has such abstract knowledge! It is quite catchy.

Probably no help whatsoever but I would go with WASH.

It's a short and single word. It may intrigue. And it carries connotations of:

- cleaning
- the wash left behind by a passing boat that may rock your own
- "it's a wash", a zero-sum game

But then I'd also make sure to have a scene where somebody washes somebody else and the bubbles get everywhere.

I may also give the MC a mild but developing case of OCD.

So. Yeah. No help at all, but at least it upped my post count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Head-Hopping

First Impressions Count!

Back