• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Service Update My Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen! Please Welcome…

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
LitBits
United-Nations
I’m delighted to tell you that we have appointed our very first Lab Moderator, and it is…

@Sedayne!​

Her job will mostly be to approve and award Lab Power User status to those folks who want to use the Lab for their own projects – more on this below.
But she’ll also be able to answer questions about the Lab you may have, and to point newcomers in the right direction, etc.
I want to thank Sedayne for volunteering for this role. It’s the first time we’ve appointed a forum moderator (but not the last, something else will be happening very soon).

Now about that Lab Power User status…
When new members join, they can immediately post replies (i.e. critiques of other folks’ works) in the Lab. However, they won’t be able to post their own projects to be critiqued until they been awarded Lab Power User status. It’s denoted by a rather natty little rocket under your name:

Untitled design.gif

It means that you’ve successfully posted five critiques in the Lab that have followed our critiquing guidelines.
Sedayne will be responsible for checking out applicants for Lab Power User status, approving them where necessary and tactfully directing them back to review our guidelines if necessary.

In this, of course, she will have the heroic support and assiduous backup of our trusty Guardians.
The new system is in place now and, unfortunately, it means that many folk will have temporarily lost project creation privileges in the Lab. Sorry about that :(
However, fear not! All you have to do is to complete this ultra simple form, and our new Lab Moderator will process you with remarkable alacrity. Probably.

https://colony.litopia.com/form/lab-power-user-request.7/select

Bung any questions below. The Lab is still being overhauled, so expect a few more changes there over the weekend.

Big congrats @Sedayne. Thanks for taking on this role.

I know it will really help get more ordered traffic through the Lab forum, and will also be a great help to the colony overall.

But please, no flogging off hooky rocket badges fown your local market or on the Dark Web. :)
Depends what the street value comes out at...

Quick question. Should the 'attach files' button reappear when you get a rocket? Or 24 hours after you get a rocket? Just want to post something for someone...
There's a slight lag, but as yet I'm not sure exactly how long. Maybe a couple of hours? It's a tech thing rather than a human thing. Sorry about that. But after this, it shouldn't be a problem again.

Yay! Congrats @Sedayne! This probably explains why I haven't seen a October Accountability Buddies group yet. Will this continue in the Lab or will it move into Cafe Life (or another part of the forum)?

Yay! Congrats @Sedayne! This probably explains why I haven't seen a October Accountability Buddies group yet. Will this continue in the Lab or will it move into Cafe Life (or another part of the forum)?
Yes, it's normally in the lab, isn't it? It hadn't occurred to me, and I wouldn't presume to tread on @Jonny 's toes, but if he wants me to take it over, I can do (I would only copy and paste his usual intro anyway)

Yes, it's normally in the lab, isn't it? It hadn't occurred to me, and I wouldn't presume to tread on @Jonny 's toes, but if he wants me to take it over, I can do (I would only copy and paste his usual intro anyway)

Hi Sedayne,

I've now set this up for October. It's been a bit of a mad couple of weeks outside of Litopia and it fell behind a metaphorical radiator. Thanks to you and @Nikky Lee for the reminder.

But agree, that as it lives in the Lab it's a good idea for you to do it in future months if you're happy to? I actually took it over from Nikki a while ago. She had the great idea of starting it way back (and keep this a secret) I copied and pasted her intro. :)

Hi Sedayne,

I've now set this up for October. It's been a bit of a mad couple of weeks outside of Litopia and it fell behind a metaphorical radiator. Thanks to you and @Nikky Lee for the reminder.

But agree, that as it lives in the Lab it's a good idea for you to do it in future months if you're happy to? I actually took it over from Nikki a while ago. She had the great idea of starting it way back (and keep this a secret) I copied and pasted her intro. :)
We all need to check behind our metaphorical radiators from time to time...
I'll be happy to start the thread from November onwards.
Hope the madness of real life is settling down for you.

Hi Sedayne,

Ah behind the radiator. That must be where all my word count is for the last 4 months. It just goes to show how valuable you are Jonny. Damn place falls apart the minute you sit down for a cup of tea. Now I shall sign up for one of those rocket doodads.

Ah behind the radiator. That must be where all my word count is for the last 4 months. It just goes to show how valuable you are Jonny. Damn place falls apart the minute you sit down for a cup of tea. Now I shall sign up for one of those rocket doodads.
You want one? You got one x

We all need to check behind our metaphorical radiators from time to time...
I'll be happy to start the thread from November onwards.
Hope the madness of real life is settling down for you.
Thanks. Last three weeks have been a little full on with concentration having kinda gone AWOL. Not been reading or writing stuff either so need to try and get back into it. I now have 6 unused Audible credits. Need to shut down my Audible account to catch up. Cheers for taking this over.
I'm not a big Pratchett buff but a metaphorical radiator strikes me as something out of his world.

You know, you look behind it and find old tax and energy bills, a half eaten caramel covered in fluff and dust, and with just a smidge of luck, maybe roll of a twenty pound notes you'd put there for safekeeping. Oh and of course a microscopic community of right-wing leaning mutant goblins.

You know, you look behind it and find old tax and energy bills, a half eaten caramel covered in fluff and dust, and with just a smidge of luck, maybe roll of a twenty pound notes you'd put there for safekeeping. Oh and of course a microscopic community of right-wing leaning mutant goblins.
Does that mean you actually cleaned behind it??

Looking isn't cleaning. Just saying.

Thanks. Last three weeks have been a little full on with concentration having kinda gone AWOL. Not been reading or writing stuff either so need to try and get back into it. I now have 6 unused Audible credits. Need to shut down my Audible account to catch up. Cheers for taking this over.
I had to close my audible account recently for the same reason. I've still got three unlistened-to books that I used my last credits on. I love audiobooks, but audible is something of a commitment. When you get caught up, it's worth considering audiobooks via your local library if they use Borrowbox - it's a free way of borrowing audiobooks without commitment.

Back