Music hath charms to soothe...

The naming of characters

World Poetry Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I favour stories where music is mentioned, along with the other leisure pursuits of a fictional protagonist, as it helps to round out their character.

I'm currently reading my first Mark Billingham crime novel, Scaredy Cat, which was actually the second story in his series about detective Tom Thorne. Set in the seedy London underworld, Thorne keeps himself sane by listening to the doomy songs of Johnny Cash.

I love the writing of James Lee Burke, especially his Dave Robicheaux series. Burke is a big music fan, and plays guitar himself, so his stories are rich with musical references.

I've been giving my own protagonist, Cornish detective Chief Inspector Neil Kettle, various idiosyncrasies including a meditation technique where he paints watercolours while listening to music that reflects the nature of the crime he's investigating. In the novel that I've just completed, Sin Killers, he achieved a breakthrough when the song Legs by ZZ Top came on his stereo and he realised that the criminal he was hunting had an obsession with legs; she proved to be an amputee, an ex-soldier injured by an IED in Afghanistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The naming of characters

World Poetry Day

Back