Magazines accepting short stories

What Am I To Do?

Fanfare! Part-Time Lover - The Doms of Sybaris Cove 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Joan

Basic
Aug 26, 2014
Having gone to great lengths to collate my own ranked and categorised list of magazines which might be interested in my short stories, I was mildly peeved but also encouraged to find that somebody had done it all before, and put it online. Peeved because had I known about this source I would have saved myself a lot of effort; encouraged because the source pretty much confirms and validates what I have done, while at the same time identifying a number of magazines of which I was unaware. In case there are any other Litopians researching the short story market, the link is here: http://litreactor.com/columns/storyville-where-to-send-your-stories

Before I started this exercise, I had no idea that there were so many magazines! Which is encouraging if you take the view that getting a story accepted is to some extent a numbers game....surely it is now only a matter of time before my idiosyncratic grammar is foisted upon a grateful, albeit confused, public.

nice one, marc!
I've had varying success over the years with newspapers/magazines in that my style is very much gonzo journalism and most outlets seem to want either straight up 5 W's journalism or pure fiction but this if a very helpful, and now bookmarked, list!

No point in reinventing the wheel!
I had to look up gonzo journalism, and was delighted to see a mention of Hunter S. Thompson. I haven't read 'Fear and Loathing' since I was a kid, or rather a yoof; wonder if it's worth revisiting?

I have read Fear and Loathing in LV over a dozen times. So obviously I can't be trusted but...

Another book we had to read in order to be credible among our peers was 'Dispatches' (Michael Herr); I remember liking that one too, but again, haven't read it for years. Not sure if I even have it still; I probably lent it to the same book thief who never gave back my 'Auto da Fe' (Elias Canetti) - and there's a book I absolutely must read again!
Memories!

I'll check it out!
This also gives me an idea for a random book related post, thanx!

Inspired by your badself: posted Op Ed entitled No More Book Thieves. Gracias.

Thanks for these links. It's been a while since I ventured into short story writing - but I'm feeling the urge to try it again!

There's 'Litro.' They published one of mine January 14 on their website. You need to sign up to get easiest use.

http://www.litro.co.uk/

Though it's free to subscribe if you're a submitting contributor...
Thanks K-E. Litro is on my list, though my notes suggest that they invite 'themed' contributions, so I'll either have to wait for a theme that suits what I've done, or stir myself to write something de novo that suits whatever their theme happens to be...both seem unlikely at present. I'll have a look for your story - do you publish under the name you use here?

Thanks for these links. It's been a while since I ventured into short story writing - but I'm feeling the urge to try it again!
You're welcome. Do keep us posted as to how it goes - it would be good to compare notes regarding the responsiveness, consistency, etc, of different magazines.

Yes, they go in for submissions themes, I submitted for a Nov '13 deadline Dystopian theme. Story is called Joe's Ark. If you can't find it, Marc, I'll post it here. I don't know what their archives are like but I'll have a link somewhere....

I use my own name, though a pen-name would be fun.

Already found it! And read it. I liked it. You write well. Have to agree with Linda re pigeons, though.

Flying rats :) There's one loitering around the balcony here, looks like an obese vicar. But Suzette is Joe's 'baby'. Thank you for reading, Marc.

Thanks, I've added the link to my list of resources. In view of one of your other threads, it's amusing that one of the magazines is called 'Kill Your Darlings'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Am I To Do?

Fanfare! Part-Time Lover - The Doms of Sybaris Cove 5

Back