Literature is About Sex

The most popular books of all time

How to speak Australian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you might be on their "watch" list, but I don't think those make the "best of". But as soon as you start mentioning diamonds and revolutions and the like, you can come join the big boys :D
Ooh! Wait! Wait! 2008! The zombie book I was working on!
"Current street value 1 kilo cocaine, Miami"
"Haiti-Miami smuggling routes"
"Known drug lords Miami"
Not to mention specs on probably 20 different kinds of guns.

Mine is probably about the fact that we are all essentially alone and that society is basically a bunch of rats in a cage.

Yeah, I'm not a very optimistic writer. :)
And you think I am? lol.

"Democratic Republic of Congo" and "Libya" show up a lot on mine, but luckily their followed by stuff like "hierarchy of djinn," "Mokele-Mbembe," "jungle survival," and "taxidermy using animal brain."
So, you're with some group who are out to conquer the world by destroying peoples' brains? I think that has been done before (Insert untoward Political comment here). o_O

So, you're with some group who are out to conquer the world by destroying peoples' brains? I think that has been done before (Insert untoward Political comment here). o_O
Damn I thought I had a gem for a minute there.

Or at least an NSA call log.
Come on, @Jason Byrne , you can do better than that! If you have a device capable of sending and receiving messages within seconds, then you're on their call list! (Wait! I didn't mean that! They have it all, they just won't look at it until they get the proper permission....right!)

Writers are almost by definition subversive. They can't help but think out of the box. It's not for nothing that totalitarian regimes come for the writers first...
Except now they want all the thinkers...not just those that do it out of the box. Am I mistaken or wasn't thinking outlawed by the U.N.? It must be against the law...so few do it anymore.

Try using hootsuite to tweet the homepage. I haven't had much of a chance to look at it the homepage yet but it does have a more modern look.

In response to Agent Pete ... Freud wasn't all wrong... its just you can't take what he said to heart.

I suppose if my manuscript has a theme it would be choosing between comfort and gratification and living an authentic life. But that sounds so important when the story is not important at all.

I have another story and it's about truth versus fiction - subjective versus objective.

Another story is about black and white thinking and ambivalence.

The last one I started is about redemption.

Which again, makes them sound important - but they're not. They're just genre stories and I haven't finished any of them except the first one.

What is worrying about being on any list, which has a record of your personal information, is not so much that government agencies will be after you, but rather they will sell it to private corporations. Knowledge is power, and it's also a commodity that can be traded. Once information is on the open market, you can forget about any safeguards that might have been in place when the government had it. People are nosy and voyeuristic - it's not beyond the realms of possibility that browsing histories would be for sale.

Marc, if you had to choose whether to see sunrises for the rest of your days, or sunsets, facing east OR west, how might you choose?
What a fascinating question! I’m not sure if I can give a coherently reasoned answer. My gut response is that I’d rather have the sunset view. Does that mean I’m backward-looking? I think I just associate sunsets with a bit of relief at the end of a hard day, whereas a sunrise speaks of travails to come. Not sure! How about you?
Pick one and but a heifing great mirror to see the other anyway *nods*
No it's not cheating... It's thinking outside the box :p

Well, I know for a fact that I have an FBI file. All of us subversive former Peace Corps Volunteers have one. But, frankly, the information Facebook and Google gather on me is far more worrying!

And my current novel is all about identity. My main character thinks she knows who she is, finds out she's wrong, is changed by her friends, doesn't like who she becomes, tries to change, and eventually realizes that life is about who you are in the process of becoming.

Well, I know for a fact that I have an FBI file. All of us subversive former Peace Corps Volunteers have one. But, frankly, the information Facebook and Google gather on me is far more worrying!

And my current novel is all about identity. My main character thinks she knows who she is, finds out she's wrong, is changed by her friends, doesn't like who she becomes, tries to change, and eventually realizes that life is about who you are in the process of becoming.
Sounds interesting!

I like the new front page. I'd tweet it if there was a button. As there isn't, or at least, not at this time, maybe @AgentPete doesn't want it tweet-able.

On the new front page, Peter says that Literature is mostly About Sex, which gives me pause for thought.

So much hinges on it; sex as procreation is Life itself. Garden birds fight, even to the death in the case of robins, for territory. Without territory, the male bird won't get a mate. Death preoccupies Literature, as the frame of the canvas that is a life, and that canvas hangs next to other canvases, wall after wall in a continuing if not endless exhibition.

Life, Death, Sex and Desire, Identity, Territory, Belonging, Friendship....what would you say is the key central theme of your work in progress, or your finished work, if you had to put it in a nutshell? What are the experiences of the human condition that occupy your thinking, that made you want to write?

My motivation the belief that for every ailment there is a cure, for every challenge there is a solution.

A Logical puzzle book resides in my bag. Every time I want to exercise my grey cells I take it out and have a go. Puzzles, labyrinths, oxymorons, ironies, plot twists all ingredients and tools I like to incorporate in my writing. I love the idea that each of us as characters in the Book of Life have our own unique perspective that can be each transformed into a fictional marvel to share from one enigmatic mind to another.

We're not just mental we're Mental Marvels. :D Heroes in our own right.

What is worrying about being on any list, which has a record of your personal information, is not so much that government agencies will be after you, but rather they will sell it to private corporations. Knowledge is power, and it's also a commodity that can be traded. Once information is on the open market, you can forget about any safeguards that might have been in place when the government had it. People are nosy and voyeuristic - it's not beyond the realms of possibility that browsing histories would be for sale.

The industries that do materially well were traditionally known as biblical vices

Gossip industry
Usury
Etc.

@Emurelda I read a book once called 'The Damned Busters' Nothing to do with football or WW2. A guy sells his soul to the devil and refuses to pay up, throwing hell into all kinds of chaos. The devil explains that we're all just characters in a book that God is writing and he keeps going back and making changes, that's why there's so many religions and why the world doesn't make sense. I liked that explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The most popular books of all time

How to speak Australian

Back