• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

News LiNoWriMo anyone?

Nikky Lee

Nikky Lee
Blogger
LitBits
New-Zealand
Hi folks,

Is anyone interested in doing a NaNoWriMo style event in November? After all the issues with the official Nanowrimo organisation, I'm not keen on registering with the event through any of their official channels, however, I am keen to attempt 50k words in November and am on the hunt for some comraderie!

You don't need to actually need to aim for the full the 50k (I'll be lucky to get 30k). Just have a writing project or word count goal you want to finish/hit for the month and post your updates each day (I may even figure out how to keep a running tally for people).

Does anyone want to join me on here for a Litopia verison of the event (hence LiNoWriMo)?

Delighted. I've been so disappointed in Nanowrimo and think it's a wonderful idea to have one here in Nov. It will be better than anything the AI-friendly other organisers can produce. May their dreams be tormented by all the terrible creatures in Nikki Lees Imagination.

I don't know much about nanowrimo except for the reports I've read about this year's controversy. So I had a look at their website to find out what the point of it all is.
Is the idea really to write an entire novel from scratch in the space of a month?
Is that such a good idea?
I write fast and edit slow, so maybe I could come up with something, but the quality might be questionable.
Having said that, I do like the idea of a celebratory Linowrimo event. Would the goal be the same? Or would it be like a more intense writing accountability thing?
Tell me more.

I don't know much about nanowrimo except for the reports I've read about this year's controversy. So I had a look at their website to find out what the point of it all is.
Is the idea really to write an entire novel from scratch in the space of a month?
Is that such a good idea?
I write fast and edit slow, so maybe I could come up with something, but the quality might be questionable.
Having said that, I do like the idea of a celebratory Linowrimo event. Would the goal be the same? Or would it be like a more intense writing accountability thing?
Tell me more.

The concept was 50,000 words in a month, but for the last few years I did it, I edited and would commit to daily editing. I feel that's more valuable: the commitment to a daily writing session. We should jump on Discord when we're free to write. See who else is on and write together.

I used to write with a group of lovely American ladies and we'd call it a 'sprint', but we just strived to be productive at something for 45 minutes then we'd check back in and report what we'd done. We should try that.

Back