Is it in bad taste to point out the symbolism and themes in your own work?

J

Help! Been away for about three years, my old account is gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's nae joke by the by...
iHRPGY7.jpg

If you don't get it...

I don't know if this is relevant, but an art history undergraduate once shared with me a quote from a famous artist/critic/somebody (sorry for the vagueness) to the effect that:

"any work of art, once released to the world, no longer belongs to the creator," (sic).

In this I understood him/her to mean that whatever intentions, themes and symbols you may have intended when you were creating, may or may not be recognisable to the recipient. Indeed other symbols and ideas may come to the reader or viewer that have nothing to do with the author/artist.

The intentions, both implicit and explicit, in our writing will always be there, but should we try to lead the reader to see them?

Last edited:
I don't know if this is relevant, but an art history undergraduate once shared a quote from a famous artist/critic/somebody (sorry for the vagueness) to the effect that:

"any work of art, once released to the world, no longer belongs to the creator," (sic).

In this I understood him/her to mean that whatever intentions, themes and symbols you may have intended when you were creating, they are may or may not be recognisable to the recipient. Indeed other symbols and ideas may come to the reader or viewer that have nothing to do with the author/artist.

The intentions, both implicit and explicit, in our writing will always be there, but should we try to lead the reader to see them?
Good point. 'Truth is a shattered mirror strewn, while each believes his little bit the whole to own'. Same with art I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Help! Been away for about three years, my old account is gone!

Back