Help! Confused re Upgrade...

News Something really positive in a tough old world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amber

Basic
May 25, 2017
Katy, TX
Last year I swore I'd never do Nano again. For one thing, it's in November and I hate the holidays. I couldn't imagine why people decided to undertake something new during a season which is overburdened with personal baggage, commercial ridiculousness, family expectations, and religious dogmatism. It seemed to me the best thing to do during the holidays was to stay inside.

Instead, writers from Houston and the surrounding areas (and I suppose ... all over the world) pack up their laptops and go to restaurants and coffee shops to write while in the company of other writers. I've never perfected this skill. I always feel watched. It's not so much that I think I am so interesting that others wouldn't be able to take their eyes off of me. It's more that ... once released into the wild ... watching others is what I do. If I'm doing it, then why wouldn't others be doing it to me? Other writers? If they're anything like me, they shouldn't be trusted in a group of people.

**sidenote**
Taking a book alone to a Starbucks or just about any other place is a different situation. The book acts as a sort of forcefield. Most of the time.
**end sidenote**

Also, there's the ten bucks or so I spend at each write-in because as much as I think I might be that person who can sit in a restaurant for several hours without spending a dime, I am not that person. I will spend my last dime so as to avoid being impolite or exposing myself to the ridicule of only having a dime.

Finally, I remain unconvinced that writing gets done in the company of other writers. I've seen a very few do this. I can't say they do it successfully. But there are those extroverted people who at least put up a good show of making conversation while concentrating on their work.

But despite my vow to avoid Nano, at the end of October I found myself not writing anything. So, I thought, "Why not?" For a few days I toyed with the idea of write-ins. Then I reminded myself, I don't actually get any writing done at them.

It's only day three but during the last few months I've gotten in the habit of writing every day. So, we'll see how this goes.

And... I'm curious. Anyone else doing Nano and what do you think of it?

It is a little different in the United States because we have Thanksgiving. You know ... celebrating that mistake we made centuries ago. So, it actually is our holiday season. There's been Christmas stuff up since before Halloween.

I actively participated in it last year only because our local RWA chapter was having a contest of sorts. Back when I wrote more than I do now, I easily wrote 30K each month, so I never bothered with NaNo before last year. Since then, I've been spammed like f*cking crazy from the NaNo site. Solicitations for money. Participate in this. Participate in that. As many emails as I report for spam, I get ten more from variations of the same email address. I can't get rid of the f*ckers. I've even deleted my NaNo profile. So, um... a big NO. I will never bother again. My local RWA chapter peeps will just have to deal with it. And I can barely get 30K a quarter written now so it's not like they'll lose anything by me not helping out. ;)

I dipped in there a couple of years back and got fed up. I've shown work and had extremely useful feedback from people here in the past, and don't at present want to talk too much about writing in progress. I need to conserve energy and to control where I spend it, no runaway buses. Nano spammed like a runaway bus. Nano wanted me to buy, spend, buy, go to a local meetup.

I don't do groups, apart from this online one, which is different. I feel free to come and go as I please, and no pressure.

Not knocking it.Just not my bag. A friend did Nano, loved it, got signed with an agent on the finished thing, got signed off again when the agent didn't place it in a year, and then self-published.

I actively participated in it last year only because our local RWA chapter was having a contest of sorts. Back when I wrote more than I do now, I easily wrote 30K each month, so I never bothered with NaNo before last year. Since then, I've been spammed like f*cking crazy from the NaNo site. Solicitations for money. Participate in this. Participate in that. As many emails as I report for spam, I get ten more from variations of the same email address. I can't get rid of the f*ckers. I've even deleted my NaNo profile. So, um... a big NO. I will never bother again. My local RWA chapter peeps will just have to deal with it. And I can barely get 30K a quarter written now so it's not like they'll lose anything by me not helping out. ;)

I don't know that they help anyone out. People help themselves.

You're totally right about the spam. I know Nano will never forget about me and it is annoying.

I dipped in there a couple of years back and got fed up. I've shown work and had extremely useful feedback from people here in the past, and don't at present want to talk too much about writing in progress. I need to conserve energy and to control where I spend it, no runaway buses. Nano spammed like a runaway bus. Nano wanted me to buy, spend, buy, go to a local meetup.

I don't do groups, apart from this online one, which is different. I feel free to come and go as I please, and no pressure.

Not knocking it.Just not my bag. A friend did Nano, loved it, got signed with an agent on the finished thing, got signed off again when the agent didn't place it in a year, and then self-published.

Yeah I don't like the part where they ask you to put up a synopsis and put up a writer bio. Actually I don't like any of the online interacting part. But then I sometimes feel bad if I don't fill in all the boxes for something.

In my bio box I put: "I don't like filling out bios, which should tell you a lot about me" and left it at that. I think in the synopsis I put, "bad stuff happens and then it gets better."

I'm doing Nano for myself.

But you're right, a lot of people do it for the support of the group. I don't even like groups but I tried for a long time. I've come to the conclusion that there are some people who like them and others who don't. I will never know if the support some people say they get from groups is actual support or whether it's social artifice.

I do enjoy Litopia.

Never appealed to me in the slightest but if it helps people develop a daily writing habit, then best of British to them for that.

But I would always question the logic of anybody who needs any kind of 'group' support structure around actually setting out to write fiction in the first place. By its very nature it is a lonely old business and whilst it is always nice to encourage others, along with appreciating the pats on the back as well, the grim reality is that you need a thick skin if you are serious about this. Arse on chair, fingers on keyboard, day in, day out. As horribly simple and frustrating as that. Took me decades to accept that.

I guess it boils down to a particular chip on my shoulder, amongst many, that too many people confuse a desire to be a writer with actually writing and then struggle to understand why they cannot stick to it. I know I did and it was only when I gave up on any grand and noble notions about being a writer of note, that I started to put down the sort of word count that matters.

However, if anybody is reading this and feels this Nano set up is what you need to dip their toes into the water, then come on it. But remember that one day you will have to swim on your own. And the water will get choppy and cold with plenty of nastys in it, desperate for a chance to take a nibble on your exposed bits.

But when you finally make it to the other side, and flop up on to the metaphorical beach, better known as 'The End', then it will all be worth it, at least for a few hours. Nothing much beats that sensation. But it costs. It really does. And you better be a bit of a masochist because you better not be doing this for the money.

No, never have but I've got so much going on I haven't got a snowball's chance of doing it. Good luck to those setting off.

And to answer the original question, no, I wouldn't do Nano. It would be a good discipline to set myself the goals, but I wouldn't feel the urge to share that with anyone.

I am doing Nano this year for two reasons: 1) it holds me accountable (somewhat) and 2) I'm hoping it will get me back into writing every day. I had a good habit of this at the beginning of this year, but when I finished my WIP and put it aside for a few months, I fell out of it again.

I also work better when I know there's a deadline (even if it's just an arbitrary date that I've set sometime in the future). Nanowrimo is just another version of this. I'm doing it with a podcast of writers on Facebook and seeing updates from them on their progress is motivating in itself (I have a competitive streak, I try to turn it off when I write, but in the case of Nanowrimo, it serves me well for getting my A and into G).

That said, I'm not planning on doing the full 50k. For me, it's about setting up a habit again. Yes, I could absolutely do this without Nanowrimo. But I would probably put it off for a few months more.

Also, fully agree with @Carol Rose about the email spamming. I unsubscribe to most of them, the rest I leave for my email filters to pick up.

I am doing Nano this year for two reasons: 1) it holds me accountable (somewhat) and 2) I'm hoping it will get me back into writing every day. I had a good habit of this at the beginning of this year, but when I finished my WIP and put it aside for a few months, I fell out of it again.

I also work better when I know there's a deadline (even if it's just an arbitrary date that I've set sometime in the future). Nanowrimo is just another version of this. I'm doing it with a podcast of writers on Facebook and seeing updates from them on their progress is motivating in itself (I have a competitive streak, I try to turn it off when I write, but in the case of Nanowrimo, it serves me well for getting my A and into G).

That said, I'm not planning on doing the full 50k. For me, it's about setting up a habit again. Yes, I could absolutely do this without Nanowrimo. But I would probably put it off for a few months more.

Also, fully agree with @Carol Rose about the email spamming. I unsubscribe to most of them, the rest I leave for my email filters to pick up.

I agree with you about deadlines. I would never in a billion years not have something finished if it was due but if it's mine... if it's my own writing... that's different. I have to trick myself.

I'm sure I have rules set up in mail whisking away the pesky emails. One gets through every now and again.

And to answer the original question, no, I wouldn't do Nano. It would be a good discipline to set myself the goals, but I wouldn't feel the urge to share that with anyone.

Yeah. It's weird how oversharing has become okay because of social media. I don't think it's a good thing. We call it support... I'm not sure. Whenever I do it ... I'm eventually uncomfortable. All I'm doing as far as Nano is posting my word count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! Confused re Upgrade...

News Something really positive in a tough old world

Back