• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Welcome… I’m New Here! Introducing myself

Select this prefix to introduce yourself here!

LeilaK

Basic
Hello, people who I hope some of are my peeps... I'm Leigh, born and raised in the States (New England) and currently living in Virginia. I'm almost 60, slightly disabled, gay-ish,and have decided the time has come to at least pretend to be a writer. We'll see how it goes. Here are some random things about me:

(1) I seem to collect animals. Right now it's 4 cats and 2 dogs; in the past it's been hedgehogs, mice, hamsters, fish, and a snake. (2) When I was about 9, I was standing on the caboose of a train looking back at where we were coming from. There was wind, of course, and a blue sky with lovely clouds, and green, green trees. And then the world cracked open and I think a god kissed my cheek; (3) I can not quite do a lot of things: juggle, speak other languages (ASL, French, Spanish), cook, whistle... apparently I quit when it gets hard. (4) I have a thing for trees; (5) My mom had a near death experience while she was in labor with me. I think it threaded us together in some way.

I'm glad to be here!

Welcome, and I'm glad you're here. You definitely have a way with words. Your introduction could make the beginning of a story, so it's safe to call yourself a writer. I look forward to reading more from you.

Welcome aboard @LeilaK :) Great intro! What do you write?

I write poetry, romance, erotica, fantasy, and narrative non-fiction. Right now I'm working on a fantasy with love and probably some sex in it, but nothing heavy or kinky; short stories; poetry. There's also a historical novel I'd like to focus on at some point, possibly but not necessarily fantasy in some form.

Welcome, and I'm glad you're here. You definitely have a way with words. Your introduction could make the beginning of a story, so it's safe to call yourself a writer. I look forward to reading more from you.

Thank you, that's a lovely compliment! I worry about overestimating myself, which makes me roll my eyes but there it is. I've debated starting to self-publish some stuff (probably Kindle Vella), but the idea of making an idiot of myself in public horrifies me :eek:

I'm working on a fantasy with love and probably some sex in it, but nothing heavy or kinky;

If you're writing an adult fantasy, you should check out The Invisible Life of Addie La Rue. Not much sex, but tastefully done.

If YA fantasy, Uprooted has not much and tasteful.

Thank you, that's a lovely compliment! I worry about overestimating myself, which makes me roll my eyes but there it is. I've debated starting to self-publish some stuff (probably Kindle Vella), but the idea of making an idiot of myself in public horrifies me :eek:
You can always use a pen name to free yourself from such worries. If no one knows it's your writing, then let your nom de plume play the fool while the royalties roll into your account.

Aloha. Before publishing, run it all by the colony (here on Litopia). They are very insightful. I have learned so much in a short time. Agent Pete is so helpful and a really nice chap!

Hi @LeilaK

Nice to see you and hope you enjoy what Litopia has to offer.

It’s extremely friendly round here so do feel free to get involved as soon as you’re ready.

Here's a good place to check out (How-to guide)to see a lot of what goes on in the colony.

If anything is unclear please contact me and I’ll be happy to assist if I can.

Back