Amusement Imaginary friends

31 Great Writing Conferences in August 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann B.

Basic
Oct 5, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
I recently read a reference to a study by Marjorie Taylor. She states that writers of fiction were more likely to have had imaginary friends as children! I find this fascinating as I had one as a child, which my parents thought was hilarious but reading this makes that more normal. I've asked loads of people if they had imaginary friends as children but so far no one has, or at least, no one has admitted to it. I thought it was quite a common thing. Did anyone else here have imaginary friends as children?

Marjorie also found that writers are said to experience their characters as having independent thoughts, words and/or actions, which is also interesting. As if, like an imaginary friend, once they are created they take on a life of their own. I sometimes think of my characters as real people with a separate voice to me. I must read the whole study, it's a great topic and definitely one for sharing :)

My imaginary friend was called Jimmy btw :) :) :)

I was joined by an imaginary friend called Peter, when I was three-years-old, which was certainly a defensive ploy to cope with suddenly being outnumbered by twin sisters! I was no longer the centre of attention, so maybe misbehaved, blaming my naughtiness on Peter.

The worst thing he did, was to pick all the petals off 200 tulips my Mum had growing in the borders of the front garden, laying them out in the shape of flowers on the garden path—to impress the cute little girl who lived next door. Mum wasn't impressed with my artistry, faced with 200 bare green stalks sticking out of the earth! For some reason, I got punished.

Though we may not call our other self an imaginary friend, as adults we carry on a constant dialogue with ourselves about what to do next. This can be good angel versus naughty devil, which also feels like a tussle of the conscience between what we'd have done as a carefree infant and what we know we really need to do as sensible adults.

I was joined by an imaginary friend called Peter, when I was three-years-old, which was certainly a defensive ploy to cope with suddenly being outnumbered by twin sisters! I was no longer the centre of attention, so maybe misbehaved, blaming my naughtiness on Peter.

The worst thing he did, was to pick all the petals off 200 tulips my Mum had growing in the borders of the front garden, laying them out in the shape of flowers on the garden path—to impress the cute little girl who lived next door. Mum wasn't impressed with my artistry, faced with 200 bare green stalks sticking out of the earth! For some reason, I got punished.

Though we may not call our other self an imaginary friend, as adults we carry on a constant dialogue with ourselves about what to do next. This can be good angel versus naughty devil, which also feels like a tussle of the conscience between what we'd have done as a carefree infant and what we know we really need to do as sensible adults.

That's so funny :D . I don't remember mine at all but I can only imagine what I blamed on him.
Yeah, as we grow we internalize the imaginary friend or just put them all on paper :)

I had one, called Ooom (!) She was around until I was about 5. I can remember her being there, just don't have a mental picture of her. It made life very difficult for my parents because she was very real to me and we had a place at the table for her, she slept on the right hand side of me in the bed, and sat on my knee in the car. I remember her being part of my games.

My daughter, Anna, has an imaginary friend (she's 5) although we haven't heard much from her in ages. Her name is Gladda and she lives in Russia and teleports to our house (I think I mentioned this before). Her dad is from Africa and her mother is Russian. Anna has met Gladda's family, and says her grandparents are lovely too (Not sure I should use: :oops: or :D )

No imaginary friends for me, though as far as I was concerned, stuffed animals were living creatures, with names, personalities, likes and dislikes, and emotions. I remember fretting for hours over being fair about which animals got to sleep where on my bed, knowing they'd be upset if I showed favouritism.

I had an imaginary friend in my 20s. He helped me get together with my now husband.

Rob, the imaginary friend, had a Facebook profile and I'd tag him in photos where you could only see the back of people's heads, or a crowd scene, or similar. Lots of my friends were in on it and would tag him too.

Rob contacted my now husband on Facebook asking if he'd like to go to the pub with me and him - the three of us. He agreed, and Rob was "ill" on the night. The rest is history.

Really liked your submission today at PopUps, @HayleyG ... I do think you need the two POVs, we'd miss out a lot if it was told through only one of the two MCs involved but you may need to be a bit of a Virginia Woolf to carry it off- maybe you are!

Really liked your submission today at PopUps, @HayleyG ... I do think you need the two POVs, we'd miss out a lot if it was told through only one of the two MCs involved but you may need to be a bit of a Virginia Woolf to carry it off- maybe you are!
Thank you I appreciate it! I prefer having two POVs as I think it suits the story - was interesting to hear other perspectives though.

I wrote an earlier version of that book in 3rd person but didn't feel it did the story justice.

Tbh I think I've reached the end of the road with that book. Have submitted it pretty much everywhere. Got one request for a full and one very detailed and helpful rejection so close but no cigar. Am proud of it but know I can do better with my next book which is well under way. All part of the journey.

I never had any imaginary friends. I think I was (and still am) far too practical to have believed in or made up anything like that.
I never felt there was any advantage to pretending something that patently did not exist.
However making things up to write about is, for me a different matter. Although, all of my offerings so far have been logically plausible. ie they could have or theoretically could in the future happen. I'm not much good at writing fantasy or magic where a truly anything-goes mind is required.
However, when I'm writing my characters do take on a personality as I write and start 'speaking' to me. I get tone of voice, accent, background, breeding, etc. from such 'voices.' But that only happens when the story is well developed, when I know the characters inside out and can step into their minds.

Last edited:
Can we have a brief outline as to what happens?!
Sure:

Cassie (young woman in older woman's body) initially enjoys the wealth and comfort. But she struggles with jealousy of Julia's daughter Amelia who has all of Julia's advantages plus the youth that Cassie has sacrificed.

Cassie makes a series of bad financial decisions but ultimately realises that Amelia doesn't have as easy a life as she assumed.

Julia (older woman in young woman's body) obsessed over finding cool and glamorous young people to party with. She falls in with a group of anti gentrification protesters but treats them with disdain. They are too nerdy and unattractive for her - The irony is that some if them are good friends but she fails to recognise it.

Julia starts a relationship with a cool but unpleasant young man who promises to get her into the best parties. But she finds out later that he is also an old man swapped into a young man's body.

Cassie and Julia do meet and try to reverse the swap but the agency won't do it. Cassie embraces her new life. Julia wallows in misery.

A really interesting concept, @HayleyG .
Shades of "be careful what you wish for" and the "the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence," done in an interesting way.
It's a shame you are not going to pursue it further. I thought the concept had real potential when we saw it on Pop-ups.

A really interesting concept, @HayleyG .
Shades of "be careful what you wish for" and the "the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence," done in an interesting way.
It's a shame you are not going to pursue it further. I thought the concept had real potential when we saw it on Pop-ups.

Thank you Tim! I'd love to pursue it further as its a complete work which im proud of but it has been sent to pretty much everyone who would theoretically consider it. So it's time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

31 Great Writing Conferences in August 2019

Back