• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Welcome… I’m New Here! I'm new and glad to be here.

Select this prefix to introduce yourself here!

JayBurns

Basic
LitBits
Hello Folks,

Thanks for accepting me into the colony! I'm glad to be here and I look forward to interacting with each of you in the near future.

I guess I'll just launch into this?

I've decided to use the pseudonym Jay Burns for my writing and Litopia for the time being. . I've lived on all three U.S. coasts now as well as a couple of states in between. I'm a Marine-turned-slacker and an itch-footed fool. I'm thirty-eight years old with the humor of someone half that age. I've had a lot of story-worthy experiences. I'd also like to write some short fiction eventually.

The only writing I've really done was in high school and in creative writing classes I did at a community college while in trade school. I enjoyed those projects and would say I did well. I've always been too self-conscious to write outside of that. I've also written many songs that no one has heard save for what my wife has probably overheard.

Being a lifelong fan of good music and literature, I've always envied people that could paint such a clear picture in my mind or make me feel a certain way. It's like someone traveled through time and space via ink on paper to tell me something. It's really kind of trippy if you think about it. This is why I want to become a good writer.

My favorite authors are Cormac McCarthy, Hunter S. Thompson, Larry McMurtry, Ken Kesey, Chuck Palahniuk and Frank Herbert.
This is a writer's colony but music is so important to me. I'm a guitarist/songwriter. My influences are Townes Van Zant, Waylon Jennings, Jay Farrar, Ryan Bingham and Mike Ness.

Again, thank you for the warm welcome and I look forward to getting to know you all..

Jay

Welcome aboard @JayBurns :) Your songwriting will sooo help you're writing, you'll have an inbuilt rhythm. Looking forward to reading your work. Decades ago, I read a quite famous book about a guy in the SAS hiking through the desert in Afganistan (I think). Your exploits could be dramatised like that. I bet they're exciting. Sorry, I'm hopeless, can't remember the name of the book!

Welcome aboard @JayBurns :) Your songwriting will sooo help you're writing, you'll have an inbuilt rhythm. Looking forward to reading your work. Decades ago, I read a quite famous book about a guy in the SAS hiking through the desert in Afganistan (I think). Your exploits could be dramatised like that. I bet they're exciting. Sorry, I'm hopeless, can't remember the name of the book!
Thank you.

I hope you're right about the songwriting. I'm just not sure that I'm that good of a songwriter either. Ha! We'll see.

Hi, @JayBurns and welcome!

Delighted you found us. Whatever you write, I'm sure you'll find lots of like-minded people here on Litopia.

Once you get to know the place, check out the Workshops and please feel free to offer your own critiques of others' work. Your opinions as a reader are as valid and important as anyone else's. As many members will testify, we learn a lot from critiquing others' work, too.

You can always submit the first 700 words of your own work to Pop-Ups if you'd like some advice on the beginning. That's on YouTube, Sunday evenings (one starting shortly :) ). And if you've got a spare few days, you could always do a binge catch up on all the previous Pop-Ups :) – there's excellent advice every week on writing and publishing in general. You'd pay a lot of money for the editorial advice our guests give for free. And it's great fun.

If you have any questions, please get in touch. I look forward to seeing you around the Colony.

Back