Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
David Gaughran is one of the most clued-up writing gurus around:

Book Marketing | Writer Advice | David Gaughran

His no bullshit approach is welcome.

Take a gander at this video...don’t think that it’s just for self-publishing authors, for even if you get a deal with a traditional publisher, you’ll be expected to do most of your own publicity.

iu

Great video! I like that he recommends Deb Potter's Amazon Ads book. Deb is a Kiwi, and she's absolutely awesome--she obsesses about statistics, and has a real head for marketing numbers.

David Gaughran is one of the most clued-up writing gurus around:

Book Marketing | Writer Advice | David Gaughran

His no bullshit approach is welcome.

Take a gander at this video...don’t think that it’s just for self-publishing authors, for even if you get a deal with a traditional publisher, you’ll be expected to do most of your own publicity.

iu

He's big on emails, thinks they are the best way to market your stuff. Would love to know if he thinks tweets are as effective?

Email is all well and good , but one still needs email addresses to send stuff to. Anyone know how to steers folk to one's website to collect emails?

Twitter is better for brand awareness than converting to sales.
I don't get Twitter. It feels so invisible. How can one be seen on twitter to raise awareness, though? The moment one puts something up, the feed has already moved on with other folks tweets, and if someone has lots of followers (not me), then their own seems to vanish. Or am I not understanding this properly?

Email is all well and good , but one still needs email addresses to send stuff to. Anyone know how to steers folk to one's website to collect emails?

I don't get Twitter. It feels so invisible. How can one be seen on twitter to raise awareness, though? The moment one puts something up, the feed has already moved on with other folks tweets, and if someone has lots of followers (not me), then their own seems to vanish. Or am I not understanding this properly?
The most effective way to build an email list is to have a reader magnet. We do this at work via free guides and writers do it with free stories. Readers give their first name and email address in exchange for the story.

Storyorigin is one platform that does this for writers. There are others out there, but this is just the one I've heard of.

RE twitter. It's all about the hashtags and interacting with people using the same hashtags to build your community. There are a lot of month long prompt groups that are good to engage with and build a community around. The one I use a lot is AusWrites but there are loads of others. Also sharing blogs with writing tips for writers works very well on twitter in my experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm a machine!

Dear Diary

Back