Help! Help with a word/expression.

Literary Fiction, General & Genre - Wot R Ye Distinctions?

Fuze really sucked today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matnov

Basic
Oct 19, 2014
London
I need some help. Working on a final draft and I have hit a brick wall with a single line/word/expression. I have two characters who play out a weekly game of golf which has turned into something more than just a game. It has become a highly personalised struggle between the two characters, with all sorts at stake, and I want to express that with a classical expression or foreign word or similar that donates such a contest. And I am stumped. :( Absolutely been racking my brains and have hit a complete mind freeze. Even Norman the Muse has not been able to help me out. Open to all and any suggestions as I can work in whatever hits the right buttons. Thanks in advance.

'Twas as though in some Hellenic bar we saw Scylla, having downed his third amphora, grasping Charybdis by the throat while growling "Oy! Are you looking at my bird?"

It sounds like the golfing version of Ridley Scott's first film, The Duellists. This was based on a Joseph Conrad short story, drawn from a real-life series of duels in the Napoleonic era.

Taking a cultural side step, it also made me think of the lyric from Bon Jovi's Livin' On A Prayer:

We've gotta hold on ready or not.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

raison d'être:
NOUN (plural raisons d'être pronounced same) -
The most important reason or purpose for someone or something’s existence:seeking to shock is the catwalk’s raison d'être.

or

cause célèbre:
NOUN (plural causes célèbres pronounced same)
controversial issue that attracts a great deal of public attention:suddenly, saving the station’s architectural integrity became a cause célèbre

or

fait accompli
A thing that has already happened or been decided before those affected hear about it, leaving them with no option but to accept it:the results were presented to shareholders as a fait accompli

(please note, all definitions sourced from the Oxford English Dictionary Online)

French Phrases and Sayings that are used in English - meaning and origin. on Phrases.org.uk

Hope these can help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Literary Fiction, General & Genre - Wot R Ye Distinctions?

Fuze really sucked today...

Back