Oghma Creative Media

What's your rewrite process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran

Basic
Aug 15, 2019
Manchester
Thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Kieran, I'm a teacher in Manchester and I run a charity which gives money to communities in developing countries to build schools and clean water facilities.

I'm currently trying to write a book about Universal Basic Income and am looking for any advice whatsoever really. At the moment I've written the first three chapters and have the next 11 planned out. I've emailed agents although starting to think I've been too hasty!

Joined looking for honest feedback and would be happy to help others in any way I can!

Welcome - I'm sure you'll find what you need, and good luck with the project.

Hi Keiran :) That sounds non-fiction, and that's a very different beast to fiction. You'll need a book proposal, and I believe agents of non-fiction usually like to know what qualifies you to write this book, so make sure you let them know what you do. I write fiction so you're best to research first, don't take my word. But there's a tsunami of information on the net. Good luck with it, I think you have the experience to find interesting take, but it does take time, just don't give up. Check out the competition and do something different :)

Hi Kieren and welcome to this place. From my studies in the late sixties early seventies I have retained an interest in economics and the idea of a basic income is especially interesting considering the changing distribution of wealth in societies around the world. @AgentPete recently placed a book with a publisher on that subject so he may be able to help with some advice. I can't remember where the thread was but you may want to read the book. Perhaps Pete can point you to it.
Best of luck :)

Hello Kieran and welcome!
Yes, I did a recent deal on the looming economic collapse, which is related. Big, scary stuff! :)

Hi Kieren and welcome to this place. From my studies in the late sixties early seventies I have retained an interest in economics and the idea of a basic income is especially interesting considering the changing distribution of wealth in societies around the world. @AgentPete recently placed a book with a publisher on that subject so he may be able to help with some advice. I can't remember where the thread was but you may want to read the book. Perhaps Pete can point you to it.

Thank you, Steve! That's really helpful!

Thank you, Steve! That's really helpful!
Hello Kieran and welcome!
Yes, I did a recent deal on the looming economic collapse, which is related. Big, scary stuff! :)

Hi @AgentPete! Just looked at 99%, sounds like a fascinating read. Do you only accept submissions to Redhammer via the Pop-Up submissions?

Unsol submissions to Redhammer from unpublished writers do get looked at – eventually – but it’s not the best way. Pop-Ups is easier for all concerned, altho the delay is getting a bit long now. Fast-track submissions will get on the show quite quickly, and the modest cost helps to subsidize us.

But quite honestly, the vast majority of submissions I or any agent sees are simply not ready to be shown, they need much more work. That’s not what most writers want to hear, but it’s the truth :)

The Writing Groups here will help you polish your submission to another level entirely.

Litopia is not a personal feeder site for Redhammer, if a Litopian gets picked up by another agency, we all cheer! :)

Hello Kieran, happy to meet you. I trained as a teacher and also taught in Manchester. During the holidays I was a nursing assistant in the psychiatric wards of Crumpsall Hospital. I support you fully with what you are doing- the distribution of wealth and population is massively unequal... I just can't praise and admire you enough. My hope is that you will write a cracking book that will open the eyes of half-asleep people. :face-with-monocle: :)

Hi Kieran, welcome aboard and good luck with your project.
You will be able to use the writing groups to post excerpts from your WIPs so people can give you helpful critiques and pointers. People here are very honest, but we're all writers so there's a lot of love too. :)

Hello Kieran, happy to meet you. I trained as a teacher and also taught in Manchester. During the holidays I was a nursing assistant in the psychiatric wards of Crumpsall Hospital. I support you fully with what you are doing- the distribution of wealth and population is massively unequal... I just can't praise and admire you enough. My hope is that you will write a cracking book that will open the eyes of half-asleep people. :face-with-monocle: :)

Thanks, Eva! Been given some great advice on here so far. Btw I was born in Crumpsall hospital! Small world :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oghma Creative Media

What's your rewrite process?

Back