Inspiration! Gold-standard writing advice from a new angle

We all need a bit of it in these strange times...

News Two New Features (Er, Actually Make That Two-And-A-Half...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of those things I struggle to get my head around. "It's but, because, therefore" = good. "And then"= bad.
I know it makes sense to other people, but somehow it doesn't to me. I of course understand that the story must flow, intersect, merge. My mental image is a river. But testing to see if the story works with these words? Nope. My inner writer just cranes it's head and fixes me with the gaze of a pissed off cockatoo.

This is one of those things I struggle to get my head around. "It's but, because, therefore" = good. "And then"= bad.
I know it makes sense to other people, but somehow it doesn't to me. I of course understand that the story must flow, intersect, merge. My mental image is a river. But testing to see if the story works with these words? Nope. My inner writer just cranes it's head and fixes me with the gaze of a pissed off cockatoo.
Well, you have to admire the sticky heading! :D
I think you can read the same advice dozens of times before something resonates. For some reason, the 'but' does with me. But hey, I'm a born contrarian!

Well, you have to admire the sticky heading! :D
I think you can read the same advice dozens of times before something resonates. For some reason, the 'but' does with me. But hey, I'm a born contrarian!
It's like some can do the Rubriks cube and others (me) just wander off and start making mud pies instead. I'm glad you get it. I'm still looking for the thing that will turn the lightbulb on for me.

There is so much "rules driven" drivel masquerading as sound writing advice out there @Mel L that I mostly switch off.

But this is the simplest, most succinct and practical tip I have seen in a long time.

Fab. Thanks for sharing.

**Off now to make me that list** :)

Basically, they're saying everything in a novel must be progressed through causation. Chapter 2 happens because of chapter 1's events rather than independently. With the exception of chapter 2 being a different timeline/POV/seemingly unrelated event, the relevance of which will be revealed later; the reader will expect causation to happen/become clear at some point.

There are always exceptions, but the exceptions must lead to the cause-effect equation. If a chapter is merely an oxbow lake along a river, read it, love it then kill it.

Oddly enough, @Hannah F my new List Doc is entitled Story Beats Cause and Effect.

So far I’m pleased to say there are no thens - but the incomplete nature of it right through to the story’s conclusion is another matter :eek:

But just working with it for an hour has allowed me to get some more plot points into shape and sequence.

I'm just waiting for my resolution from eBay to be delivered and I'm good to go.

Oddly enough, @Hannah F my new List Doc is entitled Story Beats Cause and Effect.

So far I’m pleased to say there are no thens - but the incomplete nature of it right through to the story’s conclusion is another matter :eek:

But just working with it for an hour has allowed me to get some more plot points into shape and sequence.

I'm just waiting for my resolution from eBay to be delivered and I'm good to go.
@Jonny, I am wondering how granular you got in your cause-and-effect beats list? Did you stick to the main story beats ie, Save The Cat, or did you include more detail? Looking for inspiration here as I can't find my list on eBay! :p

Hi @Mel L

I'm using it to make a skeleton to finalise first draft full book plot after I had to make an about-turn last week, ditching the original middle and hence the end too.

My approach is not granular at all. I want to check there's a progression of cause and effect for each beat. Really brief, the absolute top line of what happens, as I think I read in the article not to get bogged down in great depth or detail.

So here's a typical transition extract. I have a few where the description might stray into a second line, but by no more than a few words.

6. SO.
Internal turmoil over his hasty action sees him devise what he believes is a workable alternative.
7. BUT.
Before he can implement it, dark forces discover what he has done and make a preemptive strike
8. Therefore

And so on and so on until I get to the end (not there yet btw. I was checking there were no instances of:

6. X happens
THEN
7. Y happens
THEN
8. Z happens

As they are more than likely going to be be a series of unconnected and independent events that will need cobbled together somehow in a way that propaply won't work. See my reference to an about-turn in first sentence above. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Hi @Mel L

I'm using it to make a skeleton to finalise first draft full book plot after I had to make an about-turn last week, ditching the original middle and hence the end too.

My approach is not granular at all. I want to check there's a progression of cause and effect for each beat. Really brief, the absolute top line of what happens, as I think I read in the article not to get bogged down in great depth or detail.

So here's a typical transition extract. I have a few where the description might stray into a second line, but by no more than a few words.

6. SO.
Internal turmoil over his hasty action sees him devise what he believes is a workable alternative.
7. BUT.
Before he can implement it, dark forces discover what he has done and make a preemptive strike
8. Therefore

And so on and so on until I get to the end (not there yet btw. I was checking there were no instances of:

6. X happens
THEN
7. Y happens
THEN
8. Z happens

As they are more than likely going to be be a series of unconnected and independent events that will need cobbled together somehow in a way that propaply won't work. See my reference to an about-turn in first sentence above. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Does that make sense?
Absolutely! Thank you. BTW, hope that about turn doesn't literally set you on your ear!

It was a situation where I had completed the first twelve chapters or there abouts and had the rest sort of in my head but only vaguely.

The problem was that in those first twelve, four of them featured characters who figured in my vague middle and ending. So of course they had to go.

In truth I had been blocked on it since before Christmas as I had pansted my way up until then. It was quite a wrench pulling it all (about 12k) but once I got over the hurt of it I immediately felt relieved and free to move on again, albeit with a new main strand (which I'm still having to figure out).

Thing is though, when I do then I can write the first draft using the beat sheet for each chapter reasonably quickly, then start pulling it into proper shape.

And as is often the way the 12k are saved and may reappear in something else.

I found the advice in Elizabeth Ryan's book - manuscript makeover to be invaluable... I try and produce plots / structure with double protagonists / sub plots...

I find that if I have a linear plot for a single protagonist....you have to get the structure spot on. If you have a dual plot structure...you have more room to develop independently...and time to re- join / merge the structure latter on...

Love south park

Yes. You’re missing the hit musical show, The Book of Mormon.
I read books. When I have read them all, I will try theater and movies. If I live that long. I really do not know how people live their lives, write, and still find time for everything else.

Thanks for clueing me in. Next, it will be The Upanishads, the Musical. Or Sylvia Plath Commits Suicide, the Musical.

I read books. When I have read them all, I will try theater and movies. If I live that long. I really do not know how people live their lives, write, and still find time for everything else.

Thanks for clueing me in. Next, it will be The Upanishads, the Musical. Or Sylvia Plath Commits Suicide, the Musical.
Lol, I’d be quite interested in the Upanishads one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

News Two New Features (Er, Actually Make That Two-And-A-Half...)

Back