Genre Snobs...

One more added to the list

Literary Fiction, General & Genre - Wot R Ye Distinctions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie-Ellen

Sep 25, 2014
UK
Are everywhere according to the author of this article below, from the Huffington Post.

You gotta be marketable but different, recognisable yet distinct, fresh, new and exciting, but a safe bet.

Lev Raphael

Fly free then, novels one and all....

(A Little Owl his name was Dudley, aka Dudley the Deadly, as he had the sharpest peck of all the birds in the sanctuary, apparently)

SDC11660.JPG

He does raise a point there, a thing that's been infuriating me since a long time. People proclaiming, sometimes when taking about classics, "OH WHAT CRAP".

When I say I don't like a book I don't feel obliged to elucidate why, unless someone honestly wants to know. Then I ususally can explain. But, when I publicly say that thi-and-this book/author is crap I better have a good set of arguments to back this up. In my experience, when you ask people to present any after such harsh judgement, all they can come up with is different ways of saying "I didn't like it". Well man, that doesn't mean that the book is bad. I don't like Proust, or Umberto Eco, but I would never say either of them is a lousy author, just because they don't touch my sensibilities.

I suppose Genre's are a way for the priests in the publishing business to 'classify, quantify, and reject' your work without ever reading it.

Genre's are part of every day life. It's also taxonomy, a way of classifying data. Probably when there were few books (pre-printing press) there where fewer genres.

There are so many books, genres help us sort them out. I head straight for the mystery section, which I suspect is not the first destination of genre snobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

One more added to the list

Literary Fiction, General & Genre - Wot R Ye Distinctions?

Back