Fanfare! Full Manuscript requested!

WritersServices Website

Fanfare! Hodderscape Open Sub in August

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok..just got an email back from agent. My heart raced when the email came through! But it was just to confirm that she has received it. Phew! Still under consideration. But more than that she has been considerate to allow me to apply to other agents in a more than subtle way. (I mentioned to her that she was the first agent I applied to).
----------

A brief and hasty (sorry) note to let you know that this has arrived safely, thank you. I’ll be in touch as soon as possible. Meantime, perhaps you’d be good enough to nudge me if you hear from other agents before you’ve heard back from me?

Thanks, and all best
---------

I don't feel so bad applying to other agents. Even though I wish I wish I wish....:oops:

Ok..just got an email back from agent. My heart raced when the email came through! But it was just to confirm that she has received it. Phew! Still under consideration. But more than that she has been considerate to allow me to apply to other agents in a more than subtle way. (I mentioned to her that she was the first agent I applied to).
----------

A brief and hasty (sorry) note to let you know that this has arrived safely, thank you. I’ll be in touch as soon as possible. Meantime, perhaps you’d be good enough to nudge me if you hear from other agents before you’ve heard back from me?

Thanks, and all best
---------

I don't feel so bad applying to other agents. Even though I wish I wish I wish....:oops:
I do this too! "holy crap, an e-mail from a literary agent! Okay, finish all my other projects first... done, now I'll read it... oh. Receipt of delivery."

I like to stay in the "I got a response back" moment for a little while and just enjoy the tension, before opening it up to find it's a receipt or rejection. For a while there, the possibilities remain infinite, before observation collapses the probabilities to zero. Until that point, I have been both accepted and rejected. Thanks, Schrödinger!

I like to stay in the "I got a response back" moment for a little while and just enjoy the tension, before opening it up to find it's a receipt or rejection. For a while there, the possibilities remain infinite, before observation collapses the probabilities to zero. Until that point, I have been both accepted and rejected. Thanks, Schrödinger!

Just about to say - smells like shrodinger! But then you beat me to it!

Oh what an ending to wonderful saga of fortune and hopes dashed! I have received a wonderful rejection from a wonderful agent with pin point feedback. I say pin point because her response was accurate by way of helping me improve from here.

Whilst the concept I submitted etc is great and full of admiration for the work so far it is in the constructive crticism not the encouragement that I focus on. My writing is weak. And seeing as it is my first book I am fully gracious for this advice...it means one thing; keep on writing.

But to take my work up a notch I need perhaps more writing practice. Am excited by this. And my case it isn't a numbers game as no matter how many submissions I make from here if my writing doesn't improve then I will continue to get a rejection. So with that I move forward grateful that my first MS request has given me this insight. It's funny I thought I would take it to heart but I feel quite content. :)

Oh what an ending to wonderful saga of fortune and hopes dashed! I have received a wonderful rejection from a wonderful agent with pin point feedback. I say pin point because her response was accurate by way of helping me improve from here.

Whilst the concept I submitted etc is great and full of admiration for the work so far it is in the constructive crticism not the encouragement that I focus on. My writing is weak. And seeing as it is my first book I am fully gracious for this advice...it means one thing; keep on writing.

But to take my work up a notch I need perhaps more writing practice. Am excited by this. And my case it isn't a numbers game as no matter how many submissions I make from here if my writing doesn't improve then I will continue to get a rejection. So with that I move forward grateful that my first MS request has given me this insight. It's funny I thought I would take it to heart but I feel quite content. :)
Then you're already several steps ahead of most writers out there!

I totally agree, Emurelda. (((HUGS))) This is a marathon, not a sprint, and at least you have solid, constructive feedback on which to build. :)

Yes a marathon indeed. This frame of mind is going to put me to the ultimate test of patience and perseverance. But as long as I am improving myself and enjoying this artistic path I have decided to pursue, I am happy.

You got a very early buying signal, Lady Emerald. You were barely out of the gate and someone asked for a full MS. That wasn't for no reason and your writing will only get stronger.

Thank you :) It's certainly a valuable lesson. And I do hope I reflect over MS to see where and how I can improve. It might be worth setting it aside and starting afresh with an altogether new story whilst taking all that has been learnt thus far.

You are well ahead of many other writers then if you believe this will help you better your writing - that's exactly what it will do and exactly the attitude you need! Keep up the good attitude and work hard. With someone already interested in your work, even before it was polished, you'll have this sold in no time :)

You are well ahead of many other writers then if you believe this will help you better your writing - that's exactly what it will do and exactly the attitude you need! Keep up the good attitude and work hard. With someone already interested in your work, even before it was polished, you'll have this sold in no time :)

I hope so. I've just stocked up on coffee...grabbing my laptop and beginning at the beginning...

Congratulations on getting so far so fast! And good luck! Interesting about the man thing...this piece has been circulating among my local writers' group:
http://jezebel.com/homme-de-plume-w...source=jezebel_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Yes, I have conciouscly experienced unconcious bias throughout my life...from police officers to teachers to clients and so on. But one thing I can conclude for certainty is that it isn't limited to any particular racial or class group but that we are all to some extent guilty of it. It seems that the neutral setting in the above article is being considered male.

Maybe my name did help in getting that MS request..would i have had it if they knew I was female, I would argue yes from the professional way this agency conducts itself. Definitely an interesting experiment, thanks for the reference.

Sorry to hear it ended in rejection but brilliant that they thought enough of your work to give you detailed feedback. Take your time and mull over what they have said. Make the changes that you agree with, that really resonate and you know will make your MS stronger.

Plus this agent will remember you so put them top of your list when you send out your next project (assuming this one doesn't get picked up in the meantime which could be quite likely)

Sorry to hear it ended in rejection but brilliant that they thought enough of your work to give you detailed feedback. Take your time and mull over what they have said. Make the changes that you agree with, that really resonate and you know will make your MS stronger.

Plus this agent will remember you so put them top of your list when you send out your next project (assuming this one doesn't get picked up in the meantime which could be quite likely)
Great advice all-around, Kitty. You're doing great, Emu!

@Carol Rose You see what I'm talking about! You see this! One query! One! :p

Emurelda, that is awesome. I know it ended in rejection, but your story grabbed someone's attention incredibly quickly. The feedback to work on your writing is great because that is something you're going to be doing anyway and without even thinking about every time you write. I hope this leads to more good news from you soon with future queries!

@Carol Rose You see what I'm talking about! You see this! One query! One! :p

Emurelda, that is awesome. I know it ended in rejection, but your story grabbed someone's attention incredibly quickly. The feedback to work on your writing is great because that is something you're going to be doing anyway and without even thinking about every time you write. I hope this leads to more good news from you soon with future queries!

Lol! :D Thanks...I wonder if experimenting with names might be an interesting tact.

If your name is obviously female...would you like to do a test like the post @Robinne Weiss mentioned? And with this experiment include the original word count, everything and see what happens. I am genuinely curious whether it will work with females who have interesting concept stories like your KDD and trying it. Is that cheeky to suggest? Nah.

Lol! :D Thanks...I wonder if experimenting with names might be an interesting tact.

If your name is obviously female...would you like to do a test like the post @Robinne Weiss mentioned? And with this experiment include the original word count, everything and see what happens. I am genuinely curious whether it will work with females who have interesting concept stories like your KDD and trying it. Is that cheeky to suggest? Nah.

Haha! I don't think that's cheeky to ask either. Anyway, I like cheeky. Unfortunately, I do think the word count was a problem. I've always been in agreement with Carol on that. I also like to think, after the hack and slash, that the bandages I've been putting on have made it better. So, it wouldn't be a fair test. If after sending out the new sparkly version under my own name I get no attention, I'm happy to try under a male name as long as it doesn't breach any of the agency rules. I like toes, I don't want to step on them. Also, I honestly like to believe the author's gender doesn't matter, just throwing that out there. The Jezebel article is an interesting one but I don't want writers (such as yourself) thinking you got your foot in the door because the agent thought you were male. I think a lot could have been at play. For example, there's no way of knowing if the agent would have liked the book regardless. I think the only fair test would be submitting the same book to the same agent under different names.

Haha! I don't think that's cheeky to ask either. Anyway, I like cheeky. Unfortunately, I do think the word count was a problem. I've always been in agreement with Carol on that. I also like to think, after the hack and slash, that the bandages I've been putting on have made it better. So, it wouldn't be a fair test. If after sending out the new sparkly version under my own name I get no attention, I'm happy to try under a male name as long as it doesn't breach any of the agency rules. I like toes, I don't want to step on them. Also, I honestly like to believe the author's gender doesn't matter, just throwing that out there. The Jezebel article is an interesting one but I don't want writers (such as yourself) thinking you got your foot in the door because the agent thought you were male. I think a lot could have been at play. For example, there's no way of knowing if the agent would have liked the book regardless. I think the only fair test would be submitting the same book to the same agent under different names.

I guess my experimental nature is hard to ignore. I like controlled tests, what can I say :D

Unless my name becomes well known in the industry then it will continue being thought of as male by default. It doesn't help that my name has a 'man' in it ;) :oops::eek::D

Status
Not open for further replies.

WritersServices Website

Fanfare! Hodderscape Open Sub in August

Back