T

Which Self pub. Editorial Services

How to Not Write A Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Joan

Basic
Aug 26, 2014
Jason Sanford's blog suggests that, if your aim is commercial success, you should avoid writing short stories: http://www.jasonsanford.com/blog/20...l-writer-avoid-short-stories?rq=short stories. In fairness, he himself likes and writes short stories; he is only saying that writers would be better off -- from a commercial perspective -- if they put all their effort into novels, rather than diluting their sweat with the tepid waters of the 6K story. As a great fan of the short form, I found this a little depressing, although I can see the logic in his argument. I just wondered what the Litopian view of Sanford's thesis would be? I suspect that most of you will be on his side, given the apparent preponderance of epic novels-in-progress among you all....

Maybe it's easier to get a good short story into print and therefore lay a foundation for later, lengthier works? Also, most of the fiction writer's devices have to be present - and in spades - so isn't this a good way to start out?

I have read a few works of fiction where the foreword/author's notes say something along the lines of 'Based on an earlier short story first published in ...'

I've only ever written one short story (still awaiting further action). It was based on fact and because of my background I am well used to distilling content, so focusing down on the bare essentials was not an issue. It will never become anything longer. I can see that short stories may be a challenge for those who are naturally verbose in their writing.

Just sayin'

I think there's a short story or two in all of us.

I have scribbled a few ideas for a series of short stories covering a similar theme (psychological tales - catchy! )
Each with something of a twisted twist in the end. :D

I liked them - these are for me for now, until I am more confident...not sure where I would submit them tbh.

One of my all-time favorite books to carry around is Stephen King's short story compilation Night Shift.

I know a lot of agents won't even take a look at short stories, poetry, etc. It might simply be advice so as not to make it even more difficult on yourself. Once you're Stephen King, you can say to your publisher "hey, I've got this pile of short stories sitting around; wanna see 'em?" And they're like, "sure Stephen King, we would." Maybe they're saying until then, give yourself the best shot you can.

I don't think he makes clear enough the distinction between short stories in magazines and in books. Absolutely you have to be an existing big name writer if you are going to get a collection of short stories published. (I still don't understand why they apparently are a publisher's nightmare, as everyone I know loves them, but hey...)

However there's nothing wrong with getting short stories published in magazines - and writing short stories is surely good for writerly development. As someone who's a professional non-fiction writer (in the sense that my main source of income is writing non-fiction books), I've had immense satisfaction from getting five (so far) short stories accepted by magazines. (And a couple of them paid surprisingly well for the time they took to write, though I admit that's unusual.)

I love writing short stories, they're fun and a great way to experiment. You can enter them in competitions and submit them to magazines and it all helps to build a writing CV.

And once in a while you just get crazy little ideas! How else are you going to have a pile of short stories sitting around to compile for when you're famous?

I can't claim any success either in getting short OR long stories published, but I do find it frustrating that (according to just about every 'serious' book I've read about 'being a writer') getting short stories into print is a rite of passage that we are expected to follow if we expect a print publisher to take us seriously.

I'm busy writing an average of two short stories per week when (between ourselves) I'd rather get on with book 2 of my novel. It's an effort I'm prepared to put in because I'm willing to do what it takes (within reason) to get a print run, but I can't help thinking I'd be much happier on kindle just writing what ever I want.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be obligatory. The short story is a tricky art form in its own right. It suits some people but not everyone. Although it is true that a lot of SF writers started out with short stories I'm not sure how this translates to other genres..

My personal feeling is that for some writers, including me, it's necessary to write short fiction before attempting a novel. In this way, you can practice the craft and learn the mechanics. When I first started writing (age 14), I started out trying to write novel after novel, none of which got very far. I just didn't understand the mechanics well enough (but then, I was only 14!). On the other hand, I've written probably 150 short stories -- and I learn something new with each.

I also agree that writing short stories and publishing them in lit mags is a good way to build your credentials. And Joyce Carol Oates didn't really take herself as a writer seriously until one of her early short stories got into an anthology. That was when she realized she might have talent as a writer. I think she was 26 or so at the time.

I used to say I couldn't write anything short. Books I wrote in young adulthood ran 1200-1700 pages apiece, one longer than War and Peace.

I've heard it said that a novel tells of a story, and a short story tells of a moment.

Hi all - apologies for not being around for a while. I enjoy writing short stories though haven't done any for a while. I think there is a short story mindset though and not everyone has it, just as not everyone has a long novel mindset or a screenplay or poem mindset. The true masters (like Raymond Carver) or mistresses (like Flannery O'Connor) are famous for their stories, not the stories that they wrote whilst thinking of their next novel. I think the short story is the perfect form for our age - it should be more popular than it is. I wonder why it isn't?:confused:

Hi all - apologies for not being around for a while. I enjoy writing short stories though haven't done any for a while. I think there is a short story mindset though and not everyone has it, just as not everyone has a long novel mindset or a screenplay or poem mindset. The true masters (like Raymond Carver) or mistresses (like Flannery O'Connor) are famous for their stories, not the stories that they wrote whilst thinking of their next novel. I think the short story is the perfect form for our age - it should be more popular than it is. I wonder why it isn't?:confused:
Bravo, Vivaldo. Exceptionally-put. We have not met, but I'm glad you're back.

I love the short story form. Some years ago a literary agent took an interest in a short story, but not to publish it. He tried, and failed, to place it with a television company. It was published later, in an anthology and in a magazine; I got to read it in public at a Book Festival. Wha-hey, excitin' times. The agent said, 'to attract a publisher, you first need to write a novel.'

It's only one person's opinion and shouldn't be taken as global truth. I love the challenge of writing a short story, as much as I love writing longer works. I've had both published. They each have their place. Write what you love to write. :)

Has nobody mentioned self publishing yet? Why not try for commercial success with novels and have some extras for download? Offer some shorts free to fish for new readers who then might buy the books...
I've published three - very long - novels and am enjoying experimenting with this very different format.

Has nobody mentioned self publishing yet? Why not try for commercial success with novels and have some extras for download? Offer some shorts free to fish for new readers who then might buy the books...
I've published three - very long - novels and am enjoying experimenting with this very different format.
To be honest, I have no idea how social media has affected the publishing community. I think maybe no one knows, yet. That's probably a matter of personal preference, whether you want to jump on the groundswell, at this point. It might be like buying into tech stocks in the late 90s, early 00s. Or it might flop, and ultimately work against you in finding acceptance by legitimate publishing house. For my part, I'm avoiding it. If I miss the boat on that one, I'll own it down the road.

The main disincentive for me to write short stories is the effort I need to expend trying to find a home for them. That's another reason maybe I'll just stick them on my site at some point. Just sent some shorts to my agent asking if he could try and place this kind of thing. The answer wasn't clear, we need to see what happens with the next book deals - because these shorts are set in same world - but he seems open. In which case I will no longer have the main disincentive towards short stories :)

My mother was an avid reader - lots of romance stuff (which I ddin't read) but also plenty of Hammond Innes, Mickey Spillane even Dennis Wheatley. Good, readable books with a multitude of styles. I know you'll say wash your mouth out, but here goes - she also subscribed to Readers Digest. I loved the short stories - and the condensed novels (if that's what they were). Has anyone here tried condensing a piece of their fiction (which maybe they are struggling with) into a short story? I wonder, because there's always the problem of the ending.

My mother was an avid reader - lots of romance stuff (which I ddin't read) but also plenty of Hammond Innes, Mickey Spillane even Dennis Wheatley. Good, readable books with a multitude of styles. I know you'll say wash your mouth out, but here goes - she also subscribed to Readers Digest. I loved the short stories - and the condensed novels (if that's what they were). Has anyone here tried condensing a piece of their fiction (which maybe they are struggling with) into a short story? I wonder, because there's always the problem of the ending.

Your mother and mine would have got on very well. I also used to dip into the RD - nothing wrong with that. Lots of people do it, they just don't admit it. So long as you don't let it take over your life, it's OK. I can give up anytime I want to, anyway.

I have written a few shorter things but in all honestly I prefer to immerse myself and the reader so my preference is longer work. On the flip side, there are times when all I want to read are short stories because I get little or no time and getting to read the whole thing quickly is satisfying.

Thanks for all the responses, folks. I think the accepted wisdom remains that short stories are highly unlikely to bring fame, fortune or even a modicum of praise to the writer. That said, I still think that they are worth writing -- at least for me, at this stage in my writing career -- because (i) I love them, and (ii) they, and more importantly the critiques provided by those who are kind enough to read them (you know who you are), are immensely valuable in helping me improve. I am most definitely not ready to attempt a novel, but each short story rejection and rewrite brings me closer to that stage. So in a sense, rejections are good!

Thanks for all the responses, folks. I think the accepted wisdom remains that short stories are highly unlikely to bring fame, fortune or even a modicum of praise to the writer. That said, I still think that they are worth writing -- at least for me, at this stage in my writing career -- because (i) I love them, and (ii) they, and more importantly the critiques provided by those who are kind enough to read them (you know who you are), are immensely valuable in helping me improve. I am most definitely not ready to attempt a novel, but each short story rejection and rewrite brings me closer to that stage. So in a sense, rejections are good!
Yes, I think they are useful exercises; that's a good point. Much quicker to begin, complete, and from which to learn and grow, and begin the next. Probably why they're used in college writing courses.

You know what? They're kind of like the sketches and figure studies you do in art school. And true to form, usually you don't try to go out and sell your sketches and figure studies, but instead your paintings. Then again, people are eating that stuff up at Pier One, World Market, and TJ Max/Home Goods. Framed sketches and figure studies, I mean. Not short stories.

With today's human attention span, now proven to be shorter than that of a goldfish, maybe short stories will soon be en vogue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Which Self pub. Editorial Services

How to Not Write A Novel

Back