Finding writing mentors on Twitter using #Writementors

Help! Pop-up Help

Help! Pop=up info

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks like it might be great ... but I can't even read the website because of all the #$%&^%# gifs! Gah! I hate websites like that. They leave me feeling nauseated.

Good luck to everyone else! I'll wait for the analog version ;)

This looks like it might be great ... but I can't even read the website because of all the #$%&^%# gifs! Gah! I hate websites like that. They leave me feeling nauseated.

Good luck to everyone else! I'll wait for the analog version ;)

The site has migrated here: #WriteMentor

I'm one of the lucky mentees through. It's a lovely group of agented writers helping un-agented writers get support.

The site has migrated here: #WriteMentor

I'm one of the lucky mentees through. It's a lovely group of agented writers helping un-agented writers get support.

Emurelda! I think I need new spectacles...or maybe I should slow down when reading, as I thought you'd turned into a manatee!

y2t9h-manatee-little-girl-meet.jpg

It would be roughly ages 10 through 13.

Yep, roughly the years before teenage.

I got this from Google:
'Despite the MG label being reserved for readers aged 8-12, defining Middle Grade literature is tricky. Many young gifted readers will move out of picture books and onto Middle Grade fiction before aged 8. Other readers aged 12 or older still happily peruse Middle Grade books. This is no 'one size fits all' age group.'

Yep, roughly the years before teenage.

I got this from Google:
'Despite the MG label being reserved for readers aged 8-12, defining Middle Grade literature is tricky. Many young gifted readers will move out of picture books and onto Middle Grade fiction before aged 8. Other readers aged 12 or older still happily peruse Middle Grade books. This is no 'one size fits all' age group.'

True, and within that age range there are all sorts of books that cater to boys, easy readers, ESL readers, aside from the more commonly known middle grade literature.

Interesting, sorry about my ignorance on the UK system. Care to give me a run down?

In the UK, we have primary school (your elementary school) which is split into Infants and Juniors. The children are usually in separate parts of the school with their own playgrounds.
Infants are: Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 (about age 4-6).
Juniors are: Year 3-6 (about age 7-10).
Then, we have secondary school (roughly your high school) for Year 7-10 (about age 11-16). After that, it’s sixth form or college (about age 16-18), then university.

Hope that helps. :)

In the UK, we have primary school (your elementary school) which is split into Infants and Juniors. The children are usually in separate parts of the school with their own playgrounds.
Infants are: Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 (about age 4-6).
Juniors are: Year 3-6 (about age 7-10).
Then, we have secondary school (roughly your high school) for Year 7-10 (about age 11-16). After that, it’s sixth form or college (about age 16-18), then university.

Hope that helps. :)

Very interesting, thanks @Sea-shore I was always curious about that, and it does come in handy! Maybe this should be posted in the informative section.

Hi Quillwitch! Well, if you've been through school or have kids at school here, you know how it goes. It's different in Scotland though. How about Mexico and the US?

Hi Quillwitch! Well, if you've been through school or have kids at school here, you know how it goes. It's different in Scotland though. How about Mexico and the US?

Mexico´s system of education is similar to the US, although I know that in the US it tends to vary once you are finished with primary school.
I have no idea what Kindergarten looks like in the US at the moment, but i´ve heard there´s pre -k and then K.
In Mexico we have 3 years of Kindergarten ( though only K3 is obligatory).

Elementary School in the US --usually 1st through 6th though I´ve seen 1st through 4th then middle school 5th, 6th, 7th... i think i dependes on the school district. In Mexico it´s primary school 1st through 6th.

Then comes what I remember being called Junior High when I was in school in the US -- 7th, 8th and 9th grade...but I think it´s different today.
In Mexico it´s called secondary school -- 7th through 9th ( a three yr. period)

Then comes high school -- 10th, 11th and 12th grade. in the US, same in Mexico except it´s either called Prepartoria ( like prep school) or Bachillerato. Sometimes these school offer a technical degrees and so you graduate with high school plus technical, otehr times, it just prepares y for University.

College in the US is usually the first 2 yrs of general education that prepares you for the career you will be going into at the University or it is a technical school, you can get an Associate of arts ( 2 yr career) and some colleges offer 4 yr careers. If you are going to study say, Medicine, then you are off to University after college.

In Mexico, the University education is very different. There is no college, really. There are some technical schools where you can get a 2 or 3 year degree if you want to be a kindergarten teacher or an assistant nurse, things like that. Usually called Vocational College. But if you are going into something like Medicine or Laws or Engineering, you go straight to University and get all of your education there, usually it´s a 5 to 7 yr education. Unless you are going into the priesthood which i think is ten years!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! Pop-up Help

Help! Pop=up info

Back