Editing

So, what did I miss?

"Titles", anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alistair Roberts

Really, it's the boring part but the very necessary part of every story. I've just spent nearly a day getting rid of excess use of the word "that" which has shown 342 of them weren't needed! I've gotten rid of excess "really" and "very" and now I have a heap of other words to check and delete where possible.
One thing I also found was that sometimes I had "that" when it should have been "then." Such is the life of a writer, now back to it. What started out as 106,876 is down to 104,433 and shrinking. ;)

When I first edited my first novel, I noted a word or two that I used excessively (not any of the usual ones), and there was a different word in novel #2 that was overabundant. I'm wondering if there are any tools out there that will scan your MS and list your most commonly used words--would make finding those problem words easier. Anyone know of one? (This is where someone tells me that the program I currently use has a great tool that I didn't know about, and I feel silly for not checking... ;) )

When I first edited my first novel, I noted a word or two that I used excessively (not any of the usual ones), and there was a different word in novel #2 that was overabundant. I'm wondering if there are any tools out there that will scan your MS and list your most commonly used words--would make finding those problem words easier. Anyone know of one? (This is where someone tells me that the program I currently use has a great tool that I didn't know about, and I feel silly for not checking... ;) )

Brilliant qn. I'd like to know too.

It's called word count! If you search for a specific word and ask for 'find all', then call up word count, it should tell you xxx of selection and separately, total word count ;)

Wow - I'm quite the opposite. My stories often fall short of word count when I first write them. My first novel topped out at 50K when I finished the first draft. It's now 75K. My second started at 70K, now it's at 80K. My main focus when I'm first writing the book is getting the ideas into words down on paper. Usually this means I have a lot of dialogue without tags or scene description and a lot of scenes with little emotional impact, because I get so caught up in the action, that if I don't type it fast, I'll lose a good chunk of my choreography. I add in the setting and emotions afterward.

Wow - I'm quite the opposite. My stories often fall short of word count when I first write them. My first novel topped out at 50K when I finished the first draft. It's now 75K. My second started at 70K, now it's at 80K. My main focus when I'm first writing the book is getting the ideas into words down on paper. Usually this means I have a lot of dialogue without tags or scene description and a lot of scenes with little emotional impact, because I get so caught up in the action, that if I don't type it fast, I'll lose a good chunk of my choreography. I add in the setting and emotions afterward.

I've discovered I'm a sketcher too.

And another 230 deleted today, so far. Current word being pruned is 'then.' ;)

Me too. Too many years of 255 word limits, I suppose--I always have to go back and add details.

Exhaustive outlining is what I have to do to keep my word count in check. If I don't outline, I find that the story rambles for thousands of extra words that really don't need to be there. On the other hand, when I outline, the stories tend to fall short of word count until I go back and fill in some of the details and connect some dots that were previously left. As I continue to write, I find that the more detailed my outline is, the less deviation my final word count winds up having when all is said and done.

Exhaustive outlining is what I have to do to keep my word count in check. If I don't outline, I find that the story rambles for thousands of extra words that really don't need to be there. On the other hand, when I outline, the stories tend to fall short of word count until I go back and fill in some of the details and connect some dots that were previously left. As I continue to write, I find that the more detailed my outline is, the less deviation my final word count winds up having when all is said and done.
I've never written without an outline (because I'm pretty sure my head would explode) so idk how that changes my word count, but I do know that if I don't do in-depth character outlines first, my books wind up shorter, because I don't have that personal information to add throughout.

I've never written without an outline (because I'm pretty sure my head would explode) so idk how that changes my word count, but I do know that if I don't do in-depth character outlines first, my books wind up shorter, because I don't have that personal information to add throughout.

My very first "novel" was written without an outline and tends to ramble a lot without actually getting to the point (this makes the main story arc pretty weak). I'm about to start on a complete rewrite, but plan on doing so with the help of a VERY comprehensive outline. Writing without an outline taught me a valuable lesson - never write without an outline! lol

I don't use outlines either, except in very basic form to keep me on track with the story arc. The further I get in a series, the more I need to make sure I'm addressing all the secondary and tertiary plot lines in the series. But each book is still a stand-alone, so the main focus is on the romance in that particular book. I do detailed character sketches to stay on point for that arc. The better I know my heroine and hero, the easier it is for me to write them. :)

As for the actual editing, I do that scene by scene, or chapter by chapter, as I go along. With a shorter story I might get the whole thing down on paper first and then go back to edit it. But with most of my books (average word count is 40K), I edit the previous day's work before moving forward, until I finish the book. Then I write the synopsis and send that puppy off. :)

I've discovered I'm a sketcher too.
I do the same; I'm always writing notes into outlines, rearranging them, striking them through as I reach them, looking at the title list of the soundtracks I make to judge the pacing. I will think of notes that become whole scenes after the fact that I realize I need to add to better explain the story. So what starts out as a 220k-word book will flesh-out into a 260k-word. Of course, through judicious removal of those floaters, it will probably drop back to 250.

I don't use outlines either, except in very basic form to keep me on track with the story arc. The further I get in a series, the more I need to make sure I'm addressing all the secondary and tertiary plot lines in the series. But each book is still a stand-alone, so the main focus is on the romance in that particular book. I do detailed character sketches to stay on point for that arc. The better I know my heroine and hero, the easier it is for me to write them. :)

As for the actual editing, I do that scene by scene, or chapter by chapter, as I go along. With a shorter story I might get the whole thing down on paper first and then go back to edit it. But with most of my books (average word count is 40K), I edit the previous day's work before moving forward, until I finish the book. Then I write the synopsis and send that puppy off. :)
Woof!

I'm one of these people. I add more than I cut when I edit, but don't outline. I tried it for NaNoWriMo this year, and on Nov 5 had a better idea that made hash of my carefully crafted outline. That bare-bones first draft is a form of outline - a long and detailed one

I'm one of these people. I add more than I cut when I edit, but don't outline. I tried it for NaNoWriMo this year, and on Nov 5 had a better idea that made hash of my carefully crafted outline. That bare-bones first draft is a form of outline - a long and detailed one
So I literally just realized what your profile picture was, and was like "oh no you left your window unlocked!" Someone could break into the nothingness on the other side.

I just ordered a new, battle replica of a Viking sword that shall hang near my desk and remind me to slice and cleave with gusto!
I've got a HCS battle-ready twisted-hilt broadsword (in pawn) — and another HCS gladius, with my parents back in Michigan.

Nice to know they at least will be able to fend off zombies. I'll have to break into Famous Pawn when the Outbreak goes down to get mine back. And I wouldn't have preferred the gladius against zombies, anyway.
Actually, I would recommend the Shaolin spade, pictured below:

imgres.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

So, what did I miss?

"Titles", anyone?

Back