Dandelion Break Don’t EVER Worry About Asking Dumb Questions…

News Writing contests coming in Ireland

News Masters Review contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you report it to the Planning Authority, the vendor may well guess it was you. Could that become a problem? Another thing is simply to say Caveat Emptor. But -now that the house is back on the market- information being presented in good faith as accurate and up to date- is the estate agent aware? Because otherwise, it's also egg on their face.

If you report it to the Planning Authority, the vendor may well guess it was you. Could that become a problem?
I think they would guess, yes.
Another thing is simply to say Caveat Emptor. But -now that the house is back on the market- information being presented in good faith as accurate and up to date- is the estate agent aware? Because otherwise, it's also egg on their face.
Yeah, they're very well aware. And don't care :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry you've had all those problems, Pete. I don't think stopping anyone from conning people is snitching. Those people are trying to con their buyer, whoever they may be (single, working mum; elderly couple; someone whose English isn't good enough to spot the problem...). The agents are happy to condone that con. So each of them is foul and dishonest in their own way. I see no reason to protect their iniquitous behavour. I would absolutely inform the planning authority. And anyone else who'd listen. I know you can't mention the agent's name here, what with those pesky libel laws and all :) But I'd make damn sure I spread the word on them, too. Little *@$‡@€™$ (insert expletive as desired).

Good luck with your search!

I know you can't mention the agent's name here, what with those pesky libel laws and all :) But I'd make damn sure I spread the word on them, too. Little *@$‡@€™$ (insert expletive as desired).
My impression – and it is only an impression, since the last time I bought a house was 28 years ago! - is that estate agents have become far more venal and deceitful. Maybe it’s just this area., or maybe I’ve been unlucky… I can’t say.

But I did talk to one agent about this, some months ago (we backed out of that purchase, it involved a sitting tenant and was too complex). He impressed me with his straightforward and honest approach, and I complimented him on it. He said:

“Well, I’ve got to live in this place, too. If I go round screwing people, those are my neighbours I’ve pissed off. Pretty soon I won’t have any customers.”

I thought that was on the money.

My impression – and it is only an impression, since the last time I bought a house was 28 years ago! - is that estate agents have become far more venal and deceitful. Maybe it’s just this area., or maybe I’ve been unlucky… I can’t say.

But I did talk to one agent about this, some months ago (we backed out of that purchase, it involved a sitting tenant and was too complex). He impressed me with his straightforward and honest approach, and I complimented him on it. He said:

“Well, I’ve got to live in this place, too. If I go round screwing people, those are my neighbours I’ve pissed off. Pretty soon I won’t have any customers.”

I thought that was on the money.
It was an agent like that, that went out and found me the perfect house in Leighton Buzzard. Are you sure you're not supposed to be in Beds? Leighton Buzzard - Wikipedia

That quote was Pete talking about the estate agent, @Eva Ulian, not the planning authority.

Katie-Ellen said:
Another thing is simply to say Caveat Emptor. But -now that the house is back on the market- information being presented in good faith as accurate and up to date- is the estate agent aware? Because otherwise, it's also egg on their face.
Yeah, they're very well aware. And don't care :)

Pete, touching on what PJ said – is your heart set on where you're looking? Or would it be easier casting your net a bit wider? Lots of beautiful areas in that part of the world.

Yes, I know that. @Ancora Imparo. But taking into consideration that Pete went to the planning office and explained the situation and they did nothing about it but shrugged their shoulders, what do you think they'll do if Pete goes and tell them the house in on the market again- apart from the fact they'll probably know about it by now- they're more likely to shrug their shoulders, again, and say "Sir, what is it to you?" These situations are never good and no one wins. Besides you are talking of half to a million if not over- if people have that kind of money they are not naive enough to fall for a scam. It's not about single mums and elderly people who will need a mortgage and mortgages are handed over only if everything is fool proof, so those people are protected anyway.

Pete, touching on what PJ said – is your heart set on where you're looking? Or would it be easier casting your net a bit wider? Lots of beautiful areas in that part of the world.
Looking everywhere :)
We got to this situation a few months ago and just turned our backs and went to… Suffolk. But it didn’t work out there, either.
Really, the only limit as far as distance is concerned is that it has to be 2 hours max from London. And preferably with both rail and a decent coach service. In Warminster, there’s a (mostly) brilliant coach service called Berry’s… you can set your clock by it (mostly), very friendly, excellent value. First hour I mostly look at the lovely landscape, second hour I work. Then we’re in town.

I remember Berry's! :) Well, your flexibility will definitely help. I know a lovely house in Bath that's up for sale :D but it needs a bit of work. And anyway, sadly that's like a rather grubby suburb of London now successive councils have ruined it and turned it into Student City. Probably best avoided. Good luck with your search. Now let's hope the nutters leave you alone :)

Buy a plot of land and build your own?
I did that in Italy. But it's all set up here for that since everyone builds their own home. That is not the case in the UK, it's the opposite- it's all set up for estate people and councils to build houses and a private individual will probably come up with a lot of obstacles.

Looking everywhere
I can see why you find it hard to find a home- you need 2,500 sq m. space for your books.... and there are not many houses available in that size. A compromise has to be made somewhere. Houses that size are available, yes, in the over million bracket, but I don't think you want to go that far. ;)
Have you thought of dumping some of your books instead of putting them on shelves gathering dust and Peggy having to dust them? ;)

Buy a plot of land and build your own?
It's tempting, but (a) there's far too much development going on down here on pristine land – it’s really quite shocking. Building all over water meadows etc. No idea how the owners are going to survive that with global warming etc. And (b) it’s really a full-time job, at least a year of disruption.

Dang, Eva! Blasphemy!
LOL
Trying to console you!
Celebrate Happy Birthday GIF by Birthday Bot

It's tempting, but (a) there's far too much development going on down here on pristine land – it’s really quite shocking. Building all over water meadows etc. No idea how the owners are going to survive that with global warming etc. And (b) it’s really a full-time job, at least a year of disruption.
Or get a barn conversion with planning permission for a spacious extension- easier to build that way.

It’s a personal thing, @Eva Ulian. I don’t suffer fools, liars or cheats, or bullies for that matter. They poison the well for everyone. I’ll always stand up to them and let them know when their behaviour is not acceptable. But, thank goodness, the system often does work the way it’s supposed to. I’m delighted the planning department held the owners to account on the windows, @AgentPete, and made them replace them – that’s a good sign someone is doing their job :) Just a thought: have you looked at areas around Bath? Some are really lovely and are still near enough for the transport system you need, and not too far from Bristol airport either. Keynsham; Corsham (beautiful old houses); Corston (near Newton St Loe and Bath Spa Uni campus at Newton Park—an absolute gem); Marksbury; Chew Magna; Frome; High Littleton; Bradford on Avon (really pretty)… There’s Melksham, too, but I always found it a bit dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

News Writing contests coming in Ireland

News Masters Review contest

Back