28 Calls for Submissions in April 2019 - Paying markets

D

Flashbacks, place your bets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
After spending the last four years writing a series of detective novels, I decided to devote 2019 to self-publicising. I may well return to self-publishing, but before throwing myself into blogging and social media posting, I queried 88 agents and indie publishers who look like they know what they're doing.

I'm not sure that I do, but one thing I've learnt about the business of writing is that no one knows what works until it does....such as when an unlikely-sounding story becomes a bestseller.

Over the years, I've come to a state of mind where I don't mind being a bit lost, having a look around where I've unexpectedly ended up while keeping my eye on my ultimate destination. My attitude to writing and publishing conforms with my career path, which has wandered like an albatross. I've always admired people who knew what they wanted to do from a young age and did it, finding their choice to be as happy as they thought it would be. Not many people have this certainty.

I wonder how many writers knew exactly what their first book would be about and how it would be published—surely, only those who intended to vanity publish can be this certain. Like a fledgeling learning to fly most of us have trial runs, before attaining any proficiency.
You don’t start out writing good stuff. You start out writing crap and thinking it’s good stuff, and then gradually you get better at it. That’s why I say one of the most valuable traits is persistence.”
Ultimately, the important thing is to get something down on the page...you can't edit and improve what isn't there. All the same, there's little point in getting stressed about what you're doing, agonising that your book will never reach readers. It might have been easy to say, as a legendary and reclusive writer (is such a thing possible in the 21st-century?), but I like J. D. Salinger's laid back approach:

'There is a marvellous peace in not publishing. It's peaceful. Still. Publishing is a terrible invasion of my privacy. I like to write. I live to write. But I write just for myself and my own pleasure. I don't necessarily intend to publish posthumously, but I do like to write for myself. I pay for this kind of attitude. I'm known as a strange, aloof kind of man. But all I'm doing is trying to protect myself and my work.'

I'm also comforted by an old Chinese proverb, which advises:

'To be uncertain is uncomfortable; to be certain is ridiculous.'

In undertaking projects, I usually do a lot of planning, accruing information and raw material to complete the task and nudging what I'm creating in what I hope is the right direction—sometimes giving it a bloody big shove if it's defying me! :mad:

Mind you, what I've accomplished were things that I had control over—rebuilding engines, repairing a roof on a 19th-century cottage, organising a playscheme for deprived inner-city children. The problem with writing is that though I can create decent stories if I want to be published traditionally, I first need to persuade a literary agent that my story is commercially appealing. Even if I self-publish, I have to sell myself and the books to indifferent readers.

During my recent round of querying agents, I found myself disconnecting from writer me to observe salesman Paul, as I analysed my introductory letter, synopsis and three chapter sample—wondering if I knew what I was doing and were the documents enticing? Even if I've done a good job with my submissions package, much depends on luck and timing, which are beyond my control.

I'd like my Cornish Detective to venture out into the wide world. Why is he still hanging around me?

All any of us can do is keep on trying.

Do you know where you're going to?

What do you hope will happen with your writing career?

It sounds like an unlikely source of solace, but I sometimes hear the lyrics of the theme tune of Mahogany, starring Diana Ross, playing in my head:

Way back in the 20th Century, I slipped a sheet of A5 paper into the carriage of a petite portable typewriter and began bashing away. I was certain, that within a year, I was going to hit the top of the bestseller list and become extremely rich.

The reality was that putting all my energy into my career left my poor brain frazzled by time I got home. Any thoughts about giving up the day job were banished from my mind by the need to pay off a mortgage and provide for a wife and four young children. It wasn't until I'd achieved all of my material desires, and no longer needed to work, that I could sit down and write for the pure enjoyment of it.

Just like @Paul Whybrow, I still want to become traditionally published, not to make a lot of money but, because I wanted to have my work validated. My first writing effort in the 20th Century was crap although I thought it was brilliant at the time. My re-entry into the world of words also produced some pretty dire stuff. However, with no pressure involved and a fairly laid back attitude, I have gradually improved.

I have adopted a throw away attitude towards querying. Although I only target agents who are seeking the kind of material I write, I don't sweat about receiving a response and never chase them for a reply. If I receive a request for pages I send what they ask for. If don't receive a reply within a reasonable time I simply cross them off my list and move on.

The thought of self publishing has often crossed my mind but I've always been put off from doing so. The first reason is the cost involved in producing a quality product. The second is the fact that the content hasn't been validated by an impartial set of eyes. The thought of marketing it leaves me cold. Even if it really was the best thing since (insert name of your favourite novel here) it would probably disappear without trace into the bowels of Amazons's back-list and never be seen, let alone read, by anyone.

Even when a publisher shows interest in your work it doesn't necessarily guarantee a happy end to the story. I've recently had interest from small publishers on both sides of the Atlantic. At the time of writing I've already discounted the US option because, apart from producing a cover, they seem just as inept at marketing as I am.

Last edited:
Way back in the 20th Century, I slipped a sheet of A5 paper into the carriage of a petite portable typewriter and began bashing away. I was certain, that within a year, I was going to hit the top of the bestseller list and become extremely rich.

The reality was that putting all my energy into my career left my poor brain frazzled by time I got home. Any thoughts about giving up the day job were banished from my mind by the need to pay off a mortgage and provide for a wife and four young children. It wasn't until I'd achieved all of my material desires, and no longer needed to work, that I could sit down and write for the pure enjoyment of it.

Just like @Paul Whybrow, I still want to become traditionally published, not to make a lot of money but, because I wanted to have my work validated. My first writing effort in the 20th Century was crap although I thought it was brilliant at the time. My re-entry into the world of words also produced some pretty dire stuff. However, with no pressure involved and a fairly laid back attitude, I have gradually improved.

I have adopted a throw away attitude towards querying. Although I only target agents who are seeking the kind of material I write, I don't sweat about receiving a response and never chase them for a reply. If I receive a request for pages I send what they ask for. If don't receive a reply within a reasonable time I simply cross them off my list and move on.

The thought of self publishing has often crossed my mind but I've always been put off from doing so. The first reason is the cost involved in producing a quality product. The second is the fact that the content hasn't been validated by an impartial set of eyes. The thought of marketing it leaves me cold. Even if it really was the best thing since (insert name of your favourite novel here) it would probably disappear without trace into the bowels of Amazons's back-list and never be seen, let alone read, by anyone.

Even when a publisher shows interest in your work it doesn't necessarily guarantee a happy end to the story. I've recently had interest from small publishers on both sides of the Atlantic. At the time of writing I've already discounted the US option because, apart from producing a cover, they seem just as inept at marketing as I am.

If you're thinking about self-publishing, David, have a gander at Draft2Digital. I transferred all of my 45 titles to D2D recently, putting them on hold on Smashwords and Amazon, who I've been with for five years. So far, I've sold more books in two months with D2D, than I did with Smashwords and Amazon combined. Admittedly, it's early days yet, but as I gear up my self-promotion, with a view to releasing my Cornish Detective series this summer, I feel happier about doing so via D2D, supported by sales from my website.

I'm addicted to those insular moments when the muse strikes. If something comes of that, super, if nothing comes of that, I've still enjoyed my addiction. But if I publish, it will be traditional. I too queried (whilst I lived in the UK) back in 2000 and I'll not try again until I've something readable. And I'm fine if that doesn't happen.

For me , as a newbie, I write because I think somewhere inside of me there is a decent book. I live a simple life and don't need much money but if only one person ever read my book (once it's finished) and told me they really enjoyed it then I would consider myself an accomplished author. Anything more than that is iceing.
I loved your quote by the way "'To be uncertain is uncomfortable; to be certain is ridiculous.' So true although sometimes I am uncertain and ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

28 Calls for Submissions in April 2019 - Paying markets

D

Flashbacks, place your bets...

Back