Rant Cover disaster

Booking NOW OPEN for Saturday's Writers' Huddle

Reality Check Great Publishing Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2017
Lodeve, France
Not sure whether I can still post here, because I've had to downgrade my membership. But I need to rant! The first girl I asked on Fiverr to have a go at designing my cover was ok, but not quite right, also she couldn't spend the time correcting the one version I liked because she is a student and when term started she was suddenly too busy. So I approached another 'professional' graphic designer with the brief. Also on Fiverr. I have been waiting for a week with bated breath. Holy c**p it is terrible ( and I had to pay upfront for it - luckily with unlimited tweaks)! I am heartbroken and furious. Can't post a picture here for some reason. Sheesh! I could have done better myself, at least I went to art school, but this fraudster????

Wish I could show you how bad it is, but the insert picture button only gives me a place for an Http link for some reason. Don't know if that is because of my restricted access to litopia now or just a bug

Oh, I'm sorry you had to endure incompetence for your cover! That's terrible :(

Try www.reedsy.com. They vet everyone they list. You can see what they've done (so if their style suits your needs), plus a resume (or cv) and you can ask for a quote that suits your budget from up to 5 people. I just wouldn't ask anyone with twenty years experience unless I was prepared to pay. But, there are people with all kinds of experience (the site is HUGE!).

My cover cost $AUD600 for the designer (and that's was mate's rates, but I paid him more because he deserved it) and $AUD700 for the legal rights to the image, three years ago. Of course, that's a different look to what you're after, but they're should be someone on Reedsy.

I found my editor through them and I had a fantastic experience, albeit nerve-wracking. The beauty is you have access to people all over the world. My editor was from New York and Asia. Such a lovely lady (and former agent). She came with lots of 5 star reviews (even more now, 77). Although be aware, I had to "book" and wait a good 6 months or so. I imagine it's the same for designers.

Just make sure you select "Design" before you click "Choose a Service".

And good luck!

Oh, I'm sorry you had to endure incompetence for your cover! That's terrible :(

Try www.reedsy.com. They vet everyone they list. You can see what they've done (so if their style suits your needs), plus a resume (or cv) and you can ask for a quote that suits your budget from up to 5 people. I just wouldn't ask anyone with twenty years experience unless I was prepared to pay. But, there are people with all kinds of experience (the site is HUGE!).

My cover cost $AUD600 for the designer (and that's was mate's rates, but I paid him more because he deserved it) and $AUD700 for the legal rights to the image, three years ago. Of course, that's a different look to what you're after, but they're should be someone on Reedsy.

I found my editor through them and I had a fantastic experience, albeit nerve-wracking. The beauty is you have access to people all over the world. My editor was from New York and Asia. Such a lovely lady (and former agent). She came with lots of 5 star reviews (even more now, 77). Although be aware, I had to "book" and wait a good 6 months or so. I imagine it's the same for designers.

Just make sure you select "Design" before you click "Choose a Service".

And good luck!
I tried them first
I had max to offer of 300 dollars. All said no. So I went through Fiverr. I chose someone who wasn't the cheapest, but I thought could do the job. But he was cheap compared to normal artists or Reedsy. I paid what was by this time my maximum (80 euros). Two days ago my cat got sick too and that cost another 86 euros. Now have no money to live on until the end of the month. I can't work at the moment. That'why I'm so pissed off.

That is horrible. On the first case you should be able to get your money back. What happened to that cover you posted here? Did you have changes done to that?
The girl didn't have time to make the changes and I was impatient so we agreed she'd give up and I'd go elsewhere on Fiverr. Shame because hers was bloody brilliant compared to this hideous thing this chap has done.

Aha, bummer :( I hope your cat is better though :) I'd say, 'make him do it again', but it sounds like he hasn't talent or skill, so that would be a waste of time. Also sounds like because of him you're on hold for the rest of the month (and until you find someone else). So maddening! Could your daughter try?

Aha, bummer :( I hope your cat is better though :) I'd say, 'make him do it again', but it sounds like he hasn't talent or skill, so that would be a waste of time. Also sounds like because of him you're on hold for the rest of the month (and until you find someone else). So maddening! Could your daughter try?
She'pretty busy preparing for an exhibition. I'm so proud of her. Her name was put forward by a local crafts woman in the town she'moved to in Brittany, and she was then selected to be the 'young artist to watch' at a big art salon in November

I just looked at their website, and it says, 'Payment is released to the freelancer once you’re pleased and approve the work you get'. So is payment released?

If you paid through Paypal, it's possible. Give me a sec to look and I'll PM you (I use Paypal a lot, so I'm pretty familiar with it, and my carer is even more familiar, she'll be here in the next 1/2 hr).

Not sure if this link will be helpful or not at this point, but others might find it useful. I stumbled across 99 designs (a book cover contest site) after it was mentioned on a Facebook group, and ended up saving the info for my own future reference. My understanding is that you put together a brief and the price you'll willing to spend and designers will submit their cover images in a closed auction type thing. The author/publisher then chooses the one they like best.

I think the lowest option for book covers is US$199 (I'm assuming US dollars, unless the site coverts to local currency based on your IP address) – so yea, it's a little pricey. But could be something to look into for future projects :) I've been quite impressed by the work I've seen on there.

Incidentally, logos are surprisingly difficult to do well (according to my designer colleagues) so I'm not surprised by the high price tag. My guess is this is aimed at startups and SMEs.

I think the lowest option for book covers is US$199 (I'm assuming US dollars, unless the site coverts to local currency based on your IP address) – so yea, it's a little pricey. But could be something to look into for future projects :) I've been quite impressed by the work I've seen on there.

Incidentally, logos are surprisingly difficult to do well (according to my designer colleagues) so I'm not surprised by the high price tag. My guess is this is aimed at startups and SMEs.
Yeah, I think you are right about logos. Anyway, I'll just have to ponder a bit more about how to fix it!

Sorry to hear! I, too, had a nightmare cover made by a 'professional' on Fiverr. I managed to get my money back--Fiverr itself was great about dealing with it. At first they only gave me Fiverr credit, but when I said I had a really bad experience and wouldn't be back, and asked for my credit card to be credited with the refund, they did it with no hassle.

On a little pop-up, they asked whether I'd recommend their services. I said 'no'. The thing is, they cater to people like me with limited budgets, hoping that the clients' taste is as poor as their bank balance. In general, I'm sick of companies deliberately selling shoddy stuff they know will break within a month or two... Bad for the planet, insulting to the purchaser, etc... In everything Chris and I do we give the same high quality for every item no matter what the price! His glass is always excellent whether it is for sale in a gallery or my market stand.

terrible bloody cover.JPG FYI: Now I'm allowed to post pictures again, this is the offending 'professional' cover! Heidi and the legless leopard go for a run in the meadow. This what I told him:

It is Young/New Adult futuristic story with strong science, conspiracy, adventure themes.
Here is the blurb for the back cover:
For interspecies telepaths like Flo, the world seems fair and just. Humans and animals live in harmony and the world government represents all sentient beings. When a terrorist attack nearly kills her closest friend, Lonce, the world’s last snow leopard, Flo realizes that life in New Era London is not as safe as she thought.
Generations after the apocalypse, a new society based on species equality has emerged from the ashes of the old, yet only those with the telepathy gene may serve on the highest council. Marginalized and resentful, those lacking the gene, form a secret society - The Human Supremacy League. Its mission: restore man as the dominant species and eliminate interspecies telepathy.
Ten years before, the League killed Flo’s parents, and she now aims to find their killers and prevent the league from destroying the genetic bond between man and animal. But she can’t do it alone. While Lonce joins her on her quest, Seb attempts to infiltrate the HSL. He is captured and delivered into the hands of League’s chief scientist at the mysterious building known as the Panopticon. With Lonce at her side, Flo races to rescue him before her friend becomes the latest experiment.
More details:
Flo and Seb are human - both 17years old. Lonce is a snow leopard. People who have read the story have remarked that there is a feel of Philip Pullman's Golden Compass. The Panopticon is a type of circular prison (doughnut-shaped) with an internal central guard tower. It is now used for animal experimentation. As it is an unusual word it should definitely figure somehow on the cover.

My cover saga in three pictures. Had to share.
The first I quite liked but wasn't 100% sure, then the artist didn't have the time to continue.
The second... no words to describe this abomination and how I feel about it
The third. I'm delighted with. This is what I'm going with (so no comments other than "That's wonderful, I'll certainly buy a copy," allowed).
The artist was from this agency MIBLART | Book cover design services.
Altogether it cost 163US$ took less than a week to go from brief to final design and they were a delight to work with.

Attachments

• panop3.jpg
    panop3.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 6
  • terrible bloody cover.JPG
    terrible bloody cover.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 14
  • definite cover plus blurb.JPG
    definite cover plus blurb.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Status