Cost of 'get published' course criticised: what do we think?

Rant Re Nick Cheetham's comments

24 Marvelous Writing Conferences in March 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

E G Logan

Nov 11, 2018
Liguria, Italy
The Bookseller today: The bks Agency has stood by a £649 one-day course called "How To Get a Book Deal" after it was criticised over the price and accused of marginalising underprivileged writers.

Seems like an outrageous amount for a one-day course to me. For example – and not directly comparable, I know – the Courtauld Institute runs courses (evenings, weekends, summer) in aspects of Art and Art History. Typically, a one WEEK course, delivered by a qualified academic (at least PhD), and able to draw on the Courtauld's facilities, costs £500-550. Four days was £450.

This one costs £4,500, though lasts for months. Always gets fully-booked, so there must be plenty of aspiring novelists with that kind of money? Ultimate Novel Writing Course UK • Jericho Writers

I'd be interested to know what guarantees the BKS make about their course. The title implies that doing the course will enable you to secure a book deal, as opposed to just demystifying the process.

My view of these things is that they are ruthless shameful cons.

I can think of no other area of endeavour where such eyewatering sums are charged for a service guaranteeing no end product or results.

The Jericho one in particular is preposterous: Write a publishable novel in a year with The Ultimate Novel Writing Course.

That statement means absolutely nothing. Define publishable? Whose rules and terms of reference are we working by here?

Here's a short extract of my current work in progress. It's a groundbreaking novel.

Gjjjh hghghgqwd l ;kxlklk l;ldow ;lklk ';l##;clwe; ;klw'f ygwiu;ld /, 'l#';#'efw. jhjx ;l lkljdcks lhath lkdkj ;l;l;l; ffdfdjhj ;;d
kjhdcj jfdk' ';;l'dv' jhjhsdjhc elephant ljeflwef ljll;m;e sherbet lemons kkjjkklkl ;lll; ;lv;l;lf;; gxgahka lkvv;l; ;lv;f.

Now, it has 300 similar pages packed with my new vision of prose for the future. OK, it's not everyone's cup of Darjeeling, but it can be published by anyone from Jonnyboy Publishing Inc. to Random House.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to avoid these shameful confidence tricks like the plague.

I'd be interested to know what guarantees the BKS make about their course. The title implies that doing the course will enable you to secure a book deal, as opposed to just demystifying the process.
The bks Agency – snappy name – offers NO guarantees with its course.

And, hang on, here's something that wasn't obvious before. See that non-fiction? That's from the fourth para. Mmm. They're really cherry-picking here.

From their How It Works section:
"This is a one-day event designed to fast-track aspiring non-fiction writers through the process of landing a traditional book deal. We will take participants behind the closed doors of publishing houses to give them insider knowledge on how the industry works, what an agent does and how you make any money.

The second half of the day will focus on how to hone your book idea into a commercially viable project that will appeal to editors and how to structure query letters and book proposals..."

It has coffee breaks, lunch, and winds up at 4.p.m. with Q&As.

They also offer a How To Get a Job in Publishing course.
Money for jam.

I'd rather spend my money on a good developmental editor--they focus on your particular writing problems, and if you pay attention to what they tell you, it's a personalised crash course in writing that doesn't waste your time on things you already know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rant Re Nick Cheetham's comments

24 Marvelous Writing Conferences in March 2022

Back