Question: Choosing genre

Myslexia YA novel contest-judged by Tame a Dragon Author

Status
Not open for further replies.

izi 出久

Basic
Feb 21, 2022
USA
How do you go about determining the genre for a story whose genre you didn't choose to begin with? I found this article, but it's a bit overwhelming. In my case, if I say my story is sci-fi, many sci-fi readers will be bummed, because I only hint at the science behind certain aspects (and it isn't science, per se. The innate human ability to electroform, for instance, is not a thing. Sorry, Kilatra). I know @BarbaraUS was talking about this a bit with her dystopian? thriller. Thought maybe we could all glean some wisdom from a Litopian thread :)

After a quick browse of this I am now thinking speculative fiction is an umbrella term for a multitude of sub-genres. Specificity of genre might or might not work in your favour. I guess if in doubt speculative fiction covers all bases.

I haven't read much of your story @StaceyDale, but it seems to me to be epic fantasy. Fantasy doesn't exclude sciency things like electroforming. What are your comparative titles? (If you like X, you'll like mine.) You could google them on Amazon and see what genres they list them under. Most books on Amazon are listed under a number of sub-genres.
I think it's Dune-ish Star Wars-ish Red Rising-ish (not really quite like these, but if I have to compare)

I'm a bit of a Story Grid addict. So I'd decide the genre you're writing first (they describe it differently for writers: Genres of Writing: Definition, Examples, and Reader Expectations.) After working out the writer's genre, then I'd consider the reader/marketing genre.
Everything @RK Capps said above!! The considerations for drafting and marketing are different. And, here is perhaps a more basic list to start with, @StaceyDale.
For example, Story Grid lists just 12 "basic" content genres. Whether or not this is true I don't know: Which genre am I writing in? but I didn't immediately see how science fiction or fantasy fit in.

Someone has thought about this here:
------
I know my "global genre" has an external genre of "thriller." My character's internal genre is the 'ol hero's journey. Also have a bit of romance, humor, etc.

But - for reader/marketing purposes, I could describe my novel as an adventure thriller or something else (won't say dystopian, as that elicits a sense of doom and gloom and this is not a doom and gloom climate story).

And a story may not cleanly be in one genre or another.

Last edited:
I think it's Dune-ish Star Wars-ish Red Rising-ish (not really quite like these, but if I have to compare)

Remember your comp titles shouldn't be more than 5 years old (at a stretch, some agents prefer 3). I have a folder in Scrivener I've created for comps. In there, I have my Beauty and the Beast meets Lord of the Flies for me, then I have my A Curse So Dark and Lonely meets Gilded for agents.

Remember your comp titles shouldn't be more than 5 years old (at a stretch, some agents prefer 3). I have a folder in Scrivener I've created for comps. In there, I have my Beauty and the Beast meets Lord of the Flies for me, then I have my A Curse So Dark and Lonely meets Gilded for agents.
Oh dang. Well then, I need to do some research.

A good way to think about comp titles, I think, isn't to ask, 'What other books are like mine?' But rather to ask, 'What readers will like my books?' That way the comparisons become about readership instead of story. So not: 'My book is like X, Y and Z.' But rather: 'I think readers of X, Y, Z will like my book.' I reckon that's a more sophisticated way to pitch, and more appealing to an agent.

The other thing that's useful when trying to figure out what you're writing is to ask yourself: 'Where will this sit in the bookshop?' If there's not a clear-cut answer to that question, it makes pitching a great deal harder.

A good way to think about comp titles, I think, isn't to ask, 'What other books are like mine?' But rather to ask, 'What readers will like my books?' That way the comparisons become about readership instead of story. So not: 'My book is like X, Y and Z.' But rather: 'I think readers of X, Y, Z will like my book.' I reckon that's a more sophisticated way to pitch, and more appealing to an agent.

The other thing that's useful when trying to figure out what you're writing is to ask yourself: 'Where will this sit in the bookshop?' If there's not a clear-cut answer to that question, it makes pitching a great deal harder.
Thank you, Rich. This is super helpful.

I think the way to think about how to pigeon-hole your creative work is to:

1. Stop writing.
2. Spend every moment combing the web for helpful articles written by people who have never authored, agented, nor published a novel.
3. Go back to university and work toward a degree, such as a Ph.D. in comparative titles in fantasy literature. If you get the doctorate, you may then apply for jobs teaching creative writing at obscure colleges desperate to attract students. This could actually lead to creative writing on your part.

That's the way to go. But whatever, no original thought allowed. Take a Bic pen and hammer it into your forehead if necessary. Only tropes and cliches are allowed. We must maintain the status quo.

I think the way to think about how to pigeon-hole your creative work is to:

1. Stop writing.
2. Spend every moment combing the web for helpful articles written by people who have never authored, agented, nor published a novel.
3. Go back to university and work toward a degree, such as a Ph.D. in comparative titles in fantasy literature. If you get the doctorate, you may then apply for jobs teaching creative writing at obscure colleges desperate to attract students. This could actually lead to creative writing on your part.

That's the way to go. But whatever, no original thought allowed. Take a Bic pen and hammer it into your forehead if necessary. Only tropes and cliches are allowed. We must maintain the status quo.
I think the issue I'm having in selecting a genre comes from the fact that, regardless who has done it before, I haven't read anything that is a retelling of judeo christian religion / mythology in high fantasy, and sci fi. With a few lgbtq+ characters. @Rich. 's advice is helpful because it encourages me to think about the type of people who would like the story, rather than the stories that are similar to mine.

I think the issue I'm having in selecting a genre comes from the fact that, regardless who has done it before, I haven't read anything that is a retelling of judeo christian religion / mythology in high fantasy, and sci fi. With a few lgbtq+ characters. @Rich. 's advice is helpful because it encourages me to think about the type of people who would like the story, rather than the stories that are similar to mine.
You have brought up a scholarly question. When I was in divinity school, the Jews winced at the term Judeo-Christian. They did not want to pigeonhole themselves as precursors to the coming of the savior whom they did not recognize as such. Add in the non-binary characters and science fiction aspects ... you may be creating a new genre. With you all the way!

You have brought up a scholarly question. When I was in divinity school, the Jews winced at the term Judeo-Christian. They did not want to pigeonhole themselves as precursors to the coming of the savior whom they did not recognize as such. Add in the non-binary characters and science fiction aspects ... you may be creating a new genre. With you all the way!
It's much more just Christian. I mean, Pedra becomes all three sisters by the end, sacrifices herself for the people, and is reborn a god.... if people don't get the connection, that's cool. But I totally got the idea from the Bible. The primary difference is none of the sisters are perfect and they gay. And they're women (or identify as women). Basically, the book will be banned from a few states in the US. That's cool.

Take that back. Both C. S. Lewis and Tolkien did it. But I have zero confidence people who love C. S. Lewis will appreciate my diverse cast haha.
Lewis and Tolkien both had day jobs with considerable prestige. I think kids who love their stories will love yours. Adults looking to pigeonhole your stories, not so much.

It's much more just Christian. I mean, Pedra becomes all three sisters by the end, sacrifices herself for the people, and is reborn a god.... if people don't get the connection, that's cool. But I totally got the idea from the Bible. The primary difference is none of the sisters are perfect and they gay. And they're women (or identify as women). Basically, the book will be banned from a few states in the US. That's cool.

In libraryland, there's a movement to stop book burning and witch hunting. Those few states constitute the Midwest, the South, and the Mountain States. Just to spice up the trilogy, have you thought of adding some Biblical quotations between chapters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myslexia YA novel contest-judged by Tame a Dragon Author

Back