Canadian Best Sellers

Away... doing book research...

A

Be patient..

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tabby3

Recently, I was surprised to learn that, "A book is commonly acknowledged to be a Canadian bestseller if it sells 5,000 copies -- but that normally takes months, if not years."
Surprised because the number is so low. Do any of you know what constitutes a bestseller in your neck of the woods?

Last edited:
Seems that could actually be right, provided that is the number sold in one week. I saw this online regarding what it takes to get into the Times Best Seller list>
"But then Joe asked an editor he trusts, and that editor came back with some pretty convincing data that Joe is absolutely right — that you can, in fact, make it onto the Times top-15 list by selling only 5,000 hardcover copies in a single week."

Don't know how accurate that is, but still seems low to me. I suspect it also depends on your definition of "best seller list" ?? Then there is this >

"Bestsellers are usually separated into fiction and non-fiction categories. Different list compilers have created a number of other subcategories. The New York Times was reported to have started its "Children's Books" section in 2001 just to move the Harry Potter books out of the No. 1, 2, and 3 positions on their fiction chart, which the then three-book series had monopolized for over a year.

Bestsellers also may be ranked separately for hardcover and paperback editions. Typically, a hardcover edition appears first, followed in months or years by the much less expensive paperback version. Hardcover bestseller status may hasten the paperback release of the same, or slow the release, if hardcover sales are brisk enough. Some lists even have a third category, trade paperback bestsellers.

In the United Kingdom, a hardcover book could be considered a "bestseller" with sales ranging from 4,000 to 25,000 copies per week, and in Canada, the rule of thumb is 5,000 copies sold.[9] There are many "bestseller lists" that display anywhere from 10 to 150 titles."

(from wiki) ;)

,Now that's what I call research, Alistair. Just to set the record straight, I was referring to fiction in my post, and I think my source meant total sales of 5,000, not sales in one week..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Away... doing book research...

A

Be patient..

Back