Establishing Character

haunted house stories for kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Lee

Basic
Jul 26, 2018
Chicago
Hello, writers. I am mainly a poet. At another site (gasp!) a novelist told me poets are not real writers since we deal with so few words. He pointed out that during our "write a novel in a month" month, what are we poets doing? Still obsessing about the same few lines or words? (Okay, I admit that is true and that I once edited the same one page poem 222 times, from age 12 to age 32.)

He felt the writing life makes the writer, and poets just are not writers. We don't make pitches for novels, we don't get on best-seller lists, and for gosh sake, we are RARELY paid. We don't count the number of words we wrote in a day, nor do we always do research for our writing.

This is mostly true.

But still, there is something in me that wants to assert that YES, we are writers.

Can I issue a retort that yes, poets can be considered real writers?
Thanks!

Semantics. You'll get different answers according to how you wish to define writer. For me, 'writer' encompasses a group of people who write for pleasure or payment, and poets comprise a subset of that group. That said, when people say 'writer', they usually mean fiction writer rather than poet. Personally, I wouldn't waste time arguing about it!

Of course poets are writers, and of the purest form. Using the quantity of words to define what makes a writer is foolish. On that basis, coal is more valuable than diamond—both are forms of carbon—(by the way, I do know that diamonds aren't formed from coal, though it's a common misconception).

I've written flash fiction, short stories, novellas, poetry, song lyrics and novels, and it's only poetry that has influenced other forms; four of my novellas started out as poems. Writing poetry demands concision: you have to make the right word choice.

Hey Chicago! :) Indianapolis here (although Cleveland is home!). Again, welcome! :)

Of course someone who writes poetry is a WRITER. :) You WROTE them, didn't you? They didn't simply spring from your hands onto the page through magic... ;) Seriously, though, ignore the people who say things along the lines of writers are only those who compose fiction, or non-fiction, or whatever those people say. Those people should worry about their own work and stop trying to define the profession for the rest of us. :)

The question and conversation are valid. The man is a twat. Ignorant.

Does he think his writing could match The Iliad, The Odyssey, The Edda, Beowulf, the Aeniad, Gilgamesh, etc etc let alone the modern and contemporary greats. I mention the ancients only because they are exactly that...they have leapt from the treasury of spoken story tradition into writing, enshrining them in the collective library and memory of all mankind.

Poetry is the writing of the sublime. Poetry is a distilling in craft of the ultimate in human experience.

A distillation demands the taking away of words as well as the finding of words; tyrannically exacting. The sublime demands precision, absolute artistic discipline.

What do we reach for in grief, in remembrance, in joy? Poetry.

Every year, we in the UK turn to Wilfred Owen, Sassoon and the other war poets, 'Lest We Forget.' And I'm a heathen but so what...The Bible is full of poetry and I feel it.

I will life up mine eyes to the hills from whence cometh my help.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven, he hath made everything beautiful in his time.

Of course poets are writers, and of the purest form. Using the quantity of words to define what makes a writer is foolish. On that basis, coal is more valuable than diamond—both are forms of carbon—(by the way, I do know that diamonds aren't formed from coal, though it's a common misconception).

I've written flash fiction, short stories, novellas, poetry, song lyrics and novels, and it's only poetry that has influenced other forms; four of my novellas started out as poems. Writing poetry demands concision: you have to make the right word choice.
Wow! You've had novellas starting out as poems. That's amazing to me. Actually, I think fiction writers are magicians.

The question and conversation are valid. The man is a twat. Ignorant.

Does he think his writing could match The Iliad, The Odyssey, The Edda, Beowulf, the Aeniad, Gilgamesh, etc etc let alone the modern and contemporary greats. I mention the ancients only because they are exactly that...they have leapt from the treasury of spoken story tradition into writing, enshrining them in the collective library and memory of all mankind.

Poetry is the writing of the sublime. Poetry is a distilling in craft of the ultimate in human experience.

A distillation demands the taking away of words as well as the finding of words; tyrannically exacting. The sublime demands precision, absolute artistic discipline.

What do we reach for in grief, in remembrance, in joy? Poetry.

Every year, we in the UK turn to Wilfred Owen, Sassoon and the other war poets, 'Lest We Forget.' And I'm a heathen but so what...The Bible is full of poetry and I feel it.

I will life up mine eyes to the hills from whence cometh my help.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven, he hath made everything beautiful in his time.
Thank you, Katie-Ellen. These words really help: What do we reach for in grief, in remembrance, in joy? Poetry.

Hello, writers. I am mainly a poet. At another site (gasp!) a novelist told me poets are not real writers since we deal with so few words.
The novelist was, as @Katie-Ellen Hazeldine rightly said, a twat. Of the highest order, I would say.

I've nothing to add. It's all been said above. I'm only posting to lend my agreement to the fact that you are most definitely a writer. :)

Everyone has the right to their opinion. That doesn't make opinions right or wrong. I favour fictional novels, non-fiction articles and humorous poetry. I believe of the three poetry is the most challenging to master. My opinion therefore places the poet on the top of the pyramid.

As to the comments of that fellow, I would ask how many best sellers does he have? How much has he been paid? If I'm not mistaken, poetry needs to be pitched and counting words written each day is simple compared to finding words required to fit the metric line.

Poets can tell an entire story in only a few lines. Agent Pete always says 'more meaning from less words'. To me, this is exactly what poets do. I totally admire all you poets out there. There is a lot to be learnt from your skills. You create emotions with simplicity. Not easy. I have been too afraid to even try. I write novels, and I'm a waffler, but you have just given me the inspiration to take a moment away from my novel and see if I can write the same story as a poem and really get down to the essence. So thanks for your post here. This is very helpful.

One more thought, I wonder if poets link writing to music? The rhythm, the melody of the words...

Last edited:
What a wally. He is obviously feeling a tad defensive about his writing :) I completely agree with all said above; @Katie-Ellen Hazeldine , this is so beautiful, a perfect description:
"Poetry is the writing of the sublime. Poetry is a distilling in craft of the ultimate in human experience.

A distillation demands the taking away of words as well as the finding of words; tyrannically exacting. The sublime demands precision, absolute artistic discipline."

And @Paul Whybrow , you have dashed all the coal-misconceptions I've held since I was misinformed by Ferris Bueller: "Cameron's so tight, if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in two weeks you'd get a diamond". Darn.

Hi Laura,

I've come across people like this on many occasions during my life - big fish in a small pond. To cheer you up, and welcome you to the Colony, I've written a short story which I think sums up your 'novelist' friend.

THE BIG FISH
Being the big fish in a small pond, or in the case of this little tale a small rock pool, does seem to offer some advantages.

For one thing you can swim around, strutting your fins and none of the other inhabitants will get in your way. You can swim to the surface and make as many ripples as you like. You can dive to the bottom and stir up as much sediment as your own eyeballs will stand without so much as a peep from the poor souls you are smothering in debris. But then, you’re the big fish in the pool so it is your Poseidon given right to do these things.

Of course, sometimes this isn’t enough and you feel the need to lavish some personal attention on the subjects of your realm. Bashing up the barnacle is one option, as is walloping the winkle. Others to be considered are mistreating the minnows, chastising the coral and crapping on the crab. It’s all perfectly natural and nothing to be ashamed about.

However, things never stay the same and just as you’re feeling thoroughly regal a pair of eyes peer into your realm. But what do they see. Is the bashed up barnacle blending seamlessly into the rock? Perhaps it’s the walloped winkle hiding in a crevice. Maybe it’s the mistreated minnows sheltering under the chastised coral or even the crab, barely visible under a pile of crap. No, you say. It’s me, because I’m the only important being around. I’m the big fish in this small pool.

But therein lies the problem. You’re the only thing the beady eyes in the sky can see, and the only one worth inviting to dinner.

Last edited:
Thanks so very much, writers, for your kind words. Phew. I was feeling a total sham after the fiction writer's slam of poetry. I realize we don't earn much or any money, do get advances, etc. I write mostly persona poems, narrative poetry, and even the very out of fashion dramatic monolgogues. So I do incorporate elements, and I personally love to read fiction and short stories. Thanks again!

Hi Laura,

I've come across people like this on many occasions during my life - big fish in a small pond. To cheer you up, and welcome you to the Colony, I've written a short story which I think sums up your 'novelist' friend.

THE BIG FISH
Being the big fish in a small pond, or in the case of this little tale a small rock pool, does seem to offer some advantages.

For one thing you can swim around, strutting your fins and none of the other inhabitants will get in your way. You can swim to the surface and make as many ripples as you like. You can dive to the bottom and stir up as much sediment as your own eyeballs will stand without so much as a peep from the poor souls you are smothering in debris. But then, you’re the big fish in the pool so it is your Poseidon given right to do these things.

Of course, sometimes this isn’t enough and you feel the need to lavish some personal attention on the subjects of your realm. Bashing up the barnacle is one option, as is walloping the winkle. Others to be considered are mistreating the minnows, chastising the coral and crapping on the crab. It’s all perfectly natural and nothing to be ashamed about.

However, things never stay the same and just as you’re feeling thoroughly regal a pair of eyes peer into your realm. But what do they see. Is the bashed up barnacle blending seamlessly into the rock? Perhaps it’s the walloped winkle hiding in a crevice. Maybe it’s the mistreated minnows sheltering under the chastised coral or even the crab, barely visible under a pile of crap. No, you say. It’s me, because I’m the only important being around. I’m the big fish in this small pool.

But therein lies the problem. You’re the only thing the beady eyes in the sky can see, and the only one worth inviting to dinner.
Love it, thanks, David!

Wow! I live near the great city of Chicago--and we cannot even get a poetry workshop running! It's all memoir and CNF right now. What a lovely concept...poets are important!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Establishing Character

haunted house stories for kids?

Back