Author vs Literary Agent

R

Is this where I intro?

And yet, he gets a 6 or 7 figure book deal?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually doubted myself when I read through wondering what on earth the author was complaining about. Looks like it was both hindsight and greed on the outset. But am still reserving a little judgement, just in case the way it was presented was skewed against the author. One must mustn't one?

We shall shortly get to listen to what Peter makes of it, in conversation with Donna Ballman. Always a lively listen.

Emotive title above. It's actually about an alleged breach of contract.

"...had undisclosed conflicts of interest...failed to communicate offers from other publishers, failed to provide proper accounting, reporting and sales information and deprived her of substantial revenue by transferring her rights on "uncommercial terms" including granting rights for the whole of the copyright period and granting future rights to "valuable unwritten books in advance"

These are some serious accusations especially the part about not telling Morton about offers from other publishers. There is a code of conduct for literary agents but I supposed they are followed as much as the code of conduction of real estate agents. :)

It doesn't help that the photo of Antony looks like every female Disney villain.

Been thinking a huge amount about this recently, as you'll hear when we record the podcast. It demonstrates that the basis of the business relationship between author and agent needs fundamentally rethinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Is this where I intro?

And yet, he gets a 6 or 7 figure book deal?????

Back