Question: Anyone know how to create and organise files in Google Doc??

Upgrades to Full Member being Downgraded

Dandelion Break AWWWWWesome Dog stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamela Jo

Oct 26, 2021
Wexford, Ireland
I should specify for Mac

I just want to make a file for each novel, and story, ideas etc. Online I got directions online so I gather now there is a workspace, but that looks like more than I need. The directions that I found were good except I dont have the options they say are there. This happens a lot between windows google and Mac. And I dont want to run Chrome...

I just want to make some files.

Hi PJ. Do you mean organizing files in your Google Drive? So if you go into your drive (the whole drive, not just a doc) then you can make folders in there, and then put docs or sheets, etc, in each folder. It's just like your own hard drive really for organizing things.

I'm on a mac, but it should work the same (I think) for mac and pc as it's all online, not anything to do with your OS. I use it with Firefox, and I also use it with a google drive app on my phone, but that's not as easy as seeing it on a proper screen.

I don't know if that helped at all, as I was a little confused by your question. It's probably best to ask someone to show you rather than trying to figure it out across a chat?

Good luck!

Sorry I can't help because I have never been able to create a folder to put docs in on Google. I use it online, so OS shouldn't matter, and also on Chromebook. What I have is a USB/flash/memory stick (no idea what the most popular terms is these days) and save in folders on that. Having said that I most probably use something else to set the folders up, not able to set them up while in google things, and I'm guessing Mac lets you do that. I would be interested if you do find a way to organise things in the Google space, I think they expect everyone to do a search for the doc they want as there isn't any useful organisation as far as I have seen. I am sure that it was more organised a few years ago, I wonder if these are the instructions you are finding.

Ah! I think I understand the problem. Maybe. See if this helps...

@SusanT - Google Spaces was discontinued, and that app no longer exists. Not sure if that's what you were referring to?

@Pamela Jo - Google workspace is where all the available apps live. It's not where your stuff is stored. Your stuff is stored on your google drive. This is where you can create folders, and all your docs, etc, and they will be organized nicely on your drive. I don't even use workspace, or look at that, I always just go right to my drive. Google Drive: Sign-in and I log in with my gmail account.
Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 10.28.27 PM.png

The google drive is cool, I use it all the time for myself, and I'm on 2 different volunteer committees, and all our files for both groups are on google drives. You can choose to share the folders, or the docs, etc. It's quite organized I find. Good for one person, or for collaborating.

You should see something like this as a menu to the side, and you can create any of these kinds of things, folders, docs, sheets, etc. Just click on the + NEW button, and you will get these options. It's organized the same way it would be on your computer, or on a flash drive. Navigating through a series of nested folders and files.

Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 10.18.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-11-08 at 10.18.22 PM.png

I hope that was what you were looking for, and that it helped. :)

Oooowoohooo @LJ Beck That's useful. I've now put all my knitting patterns together. I think I had always been stuck in the Docs area. At least my ramblings were a little useful as they prompted you to post this which I really do find useful, thank you.

Ah! I think I understand the problem. Maybe. See if this helps...

@SusanT - Google Spaces was discontinued, and that app no longer exists. Not sure if that's what you were referring to?

@Pamela Jo - Google workspace is where all the available apps live. It's not where your stuff is stored. Your stuff is stored on your google drive. This is where you can create folders, and all your docs, etc, and they will be organized nicely on your drive. I don't even use workspace, or look at that, I always just go right to my drive. Google Drive: Sign-in and I log in with my gmail account.
View attachment 16903

The google drive is cool, I use it all the time for myself, and I'm on 2 different volunteer committees, and all our files for both groups are on google drives. You can choose to share the folders, or the docs, etc. It's quite organized I find. Good for one person, or for collaborating.

You should see something like this as a menu to the side, and you can create any of these kinds of things, folders, docs, sheets, etc. Just click on the + NEW button, and you will get these options. It's organized the same way it would be on your computer, or on a flash drive. Navigating through a series of nested folders and files.

View attachment 16900View attachment 16901

I hope that was what you were looking for, and that it helped. :)
Phew on the workspace. Everything I found was Like YOU HAVE TO USE OUR NEW MIRACLE PRODUCT OR DIE. One reason I hate google in general. Lemme try the drive thing. Everything I tried before didnt bring up folders. Just the list of my docs. You find Google drive and then click on My Drive? Correct? I use Safari but feel google herding me towards Chrome. This black sheep wont go. MAAAAAA'D

Phew on the workspace. Everything I found was Like YOU HAVE TO USE OUR NEW MIRACLE PRODUCT OR DIE. One reason I hate google in general. Lemme try the drive thing. Everything I tried before didnt bring up folders. Just the list of my docs. You find Google drive and then click on My Drive? Correct? I use Safari but feel google herding me towards Chrome. This black sheep wont go. MAAAAAA'D
Thank you Lyse. Found my way and stuffing all the related docs into folders now. Feel so much better.

Thank you Lyse. Found my way and stuffing all the related docs into folders now. Feel so much better.
Yay! Great!
The only way you'd have to change from Safari is if Safari didn't keep up. I use Firefox, and haven't ever been asked to switch.
I also use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine, not Google. In case you want an alternative. :)

Yay! Great!
The only way you'd have to change from Safari is if Safari didn't keep up. I use Firefox, and haven't ever been asked to switch.
I also use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine, not Google. In case you want an alternative. :)
There's lots of things that I cant do in safari now. So old laptop I have that app where you can switch to Chrome and then back. Took me a long time to figure out why I couldn't pay my mobile phone bill until one honest customer service person said I had to do it in Chrome.

Yeah, good ol Safari. But, what I'm saying is, there are other alternatives to Chrome, if you find the need to switch from Safari. You don't have to use Chrome if you don't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrades to Full Member being Downgraded

Dandelion Break AWWWWWesome Dog stuff

Back