Anyone interested in finding out about 'real' Vikings

Amusement Oh no!

Status
Not open for further replies.

E G Logan

Nov 11, 2018
Liguria, Italy
There is an excellent (IMHO) one-hour British Museum lecture online on YouTube by Prof. Neil Price, under the working title Vikings: A New History. In it, Price sets out to try to understand how the group known as Vikings saw themselves. Among other things, he says 'Viking' was 'a kind of job description' among the people who more often called themselves 'Northerners' – though also Vikingr.

Price is the author of The Children of Ash and Elm (pb 2022), about the Vikings. NOT a book for children, title refers to Viking origins myth.

I can't attach a link because the one I used was for BM Friends. Looking for a more general one, I see Price has loads on YouTube. He is Professor of Archeology at Uppsala University.

@Pamela Jo : one to add to your library of Viking stuff?
Thanks Hannah. I'll have a look. I have some cool stuff by some women archaeologists about horses found in women's graves. They';d been assumed to be men. Again. Until they checked. My sons acted in a recent Viking documentary filmed in Ireland. Our horses were in it. My youngest (24) was killed with a close up of his bloodied, dead face, eyes staring. Gave me a queer feeling I can tell you.

There is an excellent (IMHO) one-hour British Museum lecture online on YouTube by Prof. Neil Price, under the working title Vikings: A New History. In it, Price sets out to try to understand how the group known as Vikings saw themselves. Among other things, he says 'Viking' was 'a kind of job description' among the people who more often called themselves 'Northerners' – though also Vikingr.

Price is the author of The Children of Ash and Elm (pb 2022), about the Vikings. NOT a book for children, title refers to Viking origins myth.

I can't attach a link because the one I used was for BM Friends. Looking for a more general one, I see Price has loads on YouTube. He is Professor of Archeology at Uppsala University.
Hey, yes! My ancestors! I'll check this out. Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amusement Oh no!

Back